Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 04:11 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,735,351 times

Advertisements

What can you substitute with Creme Fraiche? Or what can you add it too?

I finally found a place that sells Creme Fraiche. It is the Whole Foods in Carle Place LI NY.

I remember a bunch of recipes on YT with creme fraiche but cant remember them anymore. Can it be used in french style pan sauces? Can you substitute cream or sour cream with creme fraiche? I know you can add to bolognese sauce. You can probably just use it as the sauce. I like to have pork chops with sour cream, but this creme fraiche may taste better as stand alone sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 05:03 PM

49,998 posts, read 63,313,910 times
Sour cream.

Old 05-11-2023, 05:07 PM

42,725 posts, read 25,896,862 times
For deserts, I use Mascarpone as a substitute. Full-fat greek yogurt works too and isn't sweet like Mascarpone.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:12 PM

23,944 posts, read 10,293,440 times
check fat contents before you start substituting.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
For deserts, I use Mascarpone as a substitute. Full-fat greek yogurt works too and isn't sweet like Mascarpone.
I mean what can I substitute using Creme Fraiche. Can put creme fraiche in deserts instead of mascarpone?

Old 05-12-2023, 09:55 AM

19,362 posts, read 27,580,268 times
I'm not sure why you'd want to use creme fraiche instead of other alternatives that are cheaper. A pint of good quality sour cream will cost you between $2.50 and $3.00, while crème fraîche will set you back, what, $10+ for a pint?

Maybe in a sauce that needs to be boiled? Sour cream would curdle if it's boiled, correct? Isn't that why you should add it off the heat, at the end of whatever you're cooking? But I don't think creme fraiche would curdle?

Old 05-12-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not sure why you'd want to use creme fraiche instead of other alternatives that are cheaper. A pint of good quality sour cream will cost you between $2.50 and $3.00, while crème fraîche will set you back, what, $10+ for a pint?

Maybe in a sauce that needs to be boiled? Sour cream would curdle if it's boiled, correct? Isn't that why you should add it off the heat, at the end of whatever you're cooking? But I don't think creme fraiche would curdle?
I am under the impression that it tastes better. I just tried creme fraiche for first time, and it does taste different. I just want to see what will happen if I use it as substitute.

Old 05-12-2023, 01:29 PM

8,359 posts, read 7,303,756 times
I first heard about crème fraiche while viewing a Gordon Ramsey video on how to properly cook scrambled eggs. He used crème fraiche and diced chives, and poured the still slightly gelatinous scrambled eggs over a hunk of toasted French bread.

I tried it his way. I thought that the scrambled eggs were disgusting - a sour under taste to them. I still use his technique of cooking them in a sauce pan with a pat of butter, mixing constantly with a cake spatula to keep them light and fluffy, but I swap in whole milk and diced sweet onion for the crème fraiche and diced chives...and I cook them a bit more solid...and I don't pour them over toast. I get very positive reviews for my scrambled eggs.

My take - if you have a dish that calls for milk or cream, but you want to introduce a sour taste...and you wish to use something four times as expensive than sour cream - try some crème fraiche.

Old 05-12-2023, 03:26 PM

42,725 posts, read 25,896,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I mean what can I substitute using Creme Fraiche. Can put creme fraiche in deserts instead of mascarpone?
Sure, but it's not as sweet. The closest to Creme Fraiche that I've found is Mexican Crema it has a very similar taste but it's a bit thinner. I didn't understand your question I guess because I hate paying $10 for Creme Fraiche and always use an alternative.

Old 05-13-2023, 08:39 AM

19,362 posts, read 27,580,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sure, but it's not as sweet. The closest to Creme Fraiche that I've found is Mexican Crema it has a very similar taste but it's a bit thinner. I didn't understand your question I guess because I hate paying $10 for Creme Fraiche and always use an alternative.
Good idea about the Mexican crema! (But probably wouldn't work very well if you used Guatemalan or Salvadoran crema. It surprised my taste buds when I tried them as subs for Mexican crema )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes