U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,684,166 times

Advertisements

I watch Everyday Italian and she tossed the filets in egg and then into rice flower and lightly fried them. I tried it and it was really good. It wasn't a full on coating of batter, just a light frying. I loved it and it was easy. Even my daughter at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 12:06 PM

812 posts, read 2,098,341 times
any fish, I won't eat talapia but ahi (tuna) is the best and expensive, if you just fry in garlic oil w/ salt and pepper and season w/ shoyu sauce over hot rice, oh so good!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:50 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmen View Post
I don't particularly like fish, but know I should eat more. I've been told that tilapia has a mild flavor. Any good recipes for tilapia or other suggestions? I'm a pretty good cook, but since I don't like fish, I'm not experienced with cooking it so fool-proof recipes would be great! I thank you and my heart thanks you.
How about some fillet of sole, Bookmen?

Rinse the fillets thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towels. Lay on broiling rack or cookie sheet covered with Release aluminum foil. Brush with softened butter. Sprinkle with Seasoned Salt. Broil for about five minutes. Make sure you watch it. When it flakes, it's done. Squirt with lemon.

Serve with vegetables on the side - broccoli, corn on the cob, cauliflower. This is a light fish so I suggest light or steamed sides. If you don't care for fish, this might be the fish for you. It's not too fishy.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,425,770 times
Baked Cheesy Halibut, a recipe favorite. Got it from a well-seasoned fisherman. Very easy and tasty, and the kids like it too!

Rinse and pat dry fresh halibut filets (about 1" thick). Place in a pyrex dish or other baking dish. Sprinkle with a little fresh lemon juice, garlic powder, Mrs. Dash, dill (or whatever herbs you prefer) and a pinch of salt.

Take equal parts of Best Foods Mayo and sour cream, mix together in a bowl. Just enough to generously cover fish. Spread all over the fish, sides included.

Bake at 350 degrees (uncovered) for 35 minutes. While the fish is cooking, grate sharp cheddar cheese (enough to generously cover the top). After the 35 minutes, sprinkle cheese over fish, put back in oven and continue cooking for another 10 minutes until cheese is melted.

Yum, yum. I've seen several versions of this recipe around, but this is the one I was given and use most often.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:43 PM

Do you like Salmon? It's very heart healthy. I don't find it too fishy, but others might. It's very simple to bake. This is the easiest recipe to make. I have my fish monger de-bone and remove skin for me which makes it very simple.

Rinse and pat dry salmon filets. Place in pyrex or other dish. Sprinkle fish with fresh lemon juice, garlic powder, dill, and a pinch of salt.

Bake in 350 degree oven (uncovered) for about 20 minutes. Serve with Tartar Sauce if desired.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:45 PM

And if you like shrimp, I have a recipe for Mexican Shrimp Cocktail to die for.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:01 PM

57,949 posts, read 40,681,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
And if you like shrimp, I have a recipe for Mexican Shrimp Cocktail to die for.

Now that you've got our attention...............................

I LOVE shrimp cocktail, please share

Old 07-03-2008, 05:04 PM

OK Burdell, just for you! I hope you enjoy it. We love it. You don't see this type of Shrimp Cocktail everywhere. We found it in Monterey and in Port Hueneme, California and it was really good, but it's not that good everywhere. Fresh not frozen shrimp is a must. Then I found this recipe and we feel this is a pretty good one. And the horseradish makes it spicey, so don't skimp on that. Please let me know what you think. Beth

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

Ingredients

2 pounds fresh cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (best shrimp size will fill a soup spoon)
1 tablespoon fresh crushed garlic
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 cups tomato and clam juice cocktail
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
salt to taste
1 ripe avocado - peeled, pitted and chopped

Directions

Place the shrimp in a large bowl. Stir garlic, red onion, and cilantro. Mix in tomato and clam juice cocktail, ketchup, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, and horseradish. Season with salt. Gently stir in avocado. Cover, and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours at least. Serve in one large bowl or ladle into individual bowls.

Serves 6

This recipe has a soupy consistency. The broth is wonderful. Serve it with a soup spoon, some crusty bread, and a bottle of wine or a cold beer. Yummy.

Last edited by Beth56; 07-03-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 PM

57,949 posts, read 40,681,363 times
Thanks! Sounds interesting and a step up from my usual catsup/horseradish/ hot sauce/mayo mixture.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:59 PM

16,227 posts, read 22,508,671 times
Orange roughy.....I just add Tony Chachere`s original creole seasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes