Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:30 PM

360 posts, read 992,912 times

Advertisements

I don't particularly like fish, but know I should eat more. I've been told that tilapia has a mild flavor. Any good recipes for tilapia or other suggestions? I'm a pretty good cook, but since I don't like fish, I'm not experienced with cooking it so fool-proof recipes would be great! I thank you and my heart thanks you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
Try this one: Broiled Tilapia Parmesan - Allrecipes

Old 06-19-2008, 07:57 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Cod is very mild, brush a fillet with a little olive oil, maybe sprinkle on some bread crumbs for texture, 400-425 deg oven, done when it flakes easily in 10 minutes or so, depends on thickness. Serve with tartar sauce and a squeeze of lemon, goes great with cole slaw and fries. Quick, easy, and most importantly tasty

Old 06-20-2008, 03:46 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,847,106 times
I coat tilapia with panko bread crumbs, saute in a little olive oil for about 5 min each side.

Burdell is right with the cod-also haddock is mild.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:00 PM

If you like tuna it doesn't get much easier than grilled tuna steaks, also good cooked in a sauce of tomatoes, olives, and capers.

Last edited by burdell; 06-20-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 05:40 PM

360 posts, read 992,912 times
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. LaceyEx, do I need to use anything to make the panko bread crumbs adhere to the fish? I ask because on my one attempt at cooking fish I used a breading mix on flounder which all fell off during the saute. I had visions of the lovely breaded filets you see in restaurants and ended up with an ugly mess. I don't know if the temperature of the oil may have been wrong or if it was something else in the preparation.

Burdell, even tuna is too fishy for my taste, but I'll have to give cod a try.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:48 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,847,106 times
Bookmen-just dry the fish with paper towels, sprinkle w/lemon pepper, dip in panko-it's not going to be a heavy breading but a nice,light one.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:05 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
I personally think that breading would ruin a good fish!

The GRILL is your friend! I used to think I didn't like fish, now I love it. I order fish in nice restaurants now.

You don't even need fancy recipes (leave that to the restaurants when you go out). Most fish is great on the backyard grill, maybe brushed with a little olive oil to prevent sticking. Or use a marinade (get a recipe or just buy it in a bottle).

Tilapia and other delicate fishes need to be in a "fish basket" or something like that, or the fish will break apart and fall into the bottom of the grill. I learned that the hard way when I lost most of my awesome chilean sea bass. I bought a great fish basket at Macy's for like 19.99. I'm sure other places like Target are even cheaper.

But firmer "steak-like" fish like tuna, swordfish, shark, can be slapped directly on the grill.

Experiment with different fish in your local grocery store, You can even ask the person behind the counter for grilling advice. I don't know where you live, but Wegmans is great in this regard.

We've tried fish we never heard of, and loved them.

I'm not a cook at all, and I'm really not what you would call a health food nut, but we eat fish on the grill several times a week.

Ask for a "non-fishy" fish; they will know what you mean, I've found that most very fresh fish is not "fishy" smelling or tasting at all. The only one I got that was fishy-smelling was monkfish (the kitchen smelled for a few days sicne it was winter and I couldn't go outside and grill. But the cats were very intrigued.)

You might love scrod, grouper, and if you can ever find it, Merlusa. They are all very delicate. Cod and haddock are too, but they are very generic; I think they make fish-sticks or "fish-n-chips" out of those. Start with the good stuff!

Seriously, go easy on the breading and frying ideas. It kills the flavor, adds fat, and is much less healthy. The grill adds no fat, and neither does a good marinade. Oddly, the best seasoning I've found for fish is "Mrs. Dash" (seriously).

Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,974 times
For Talapia: (I broil this, for crispy edges)

10 pieces fish (I have family of 5)

1 large orange ~ sliced thin
2 lemons ~ sliced thin (reserve 1/2 a lemon not sliced)
1 large tomato ~ sliced thin
1 medium onion ~ sliced thin
3 cloves garlic ~ chopped small

also need 1 stick butter & can also add olive oil
Old bay seasoning garlic & lemon
Salt & pepper
& any other spices you like on fish / dill etc.
(my son likes taco seasoning on his)

OK ~ lay all fish on tin foil, spread softned butter on each piece
Add the Old Bay, Salt & pepper & spices
put the garlic pieces on
squeeze reserved lemon half over pieces
lay a slice each of lemon, orange, tomato, onion on each piece of fish
Now drizzle olive oil if using it
Broil about 10 minutes or so, will flake when done

Old 06-23-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmen View Post
Burdell, even tuna is too fishy for my taste, but I'll have to give cod a try.

Are shrimp and/or crab on the table? Lots of good, simple recipes for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes