U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:06 PM

36,981 posts, read 45,424,471 times

Advertisements

I can only add that when I make the italian salad dressing pasta salad, I use 1# of pasta (gemelli) per 1 large bottle of italian salad dressing and let it absorb overnight. I always cut up cubes of kielbasa or smoked sausage in mine along with whatever other fresh vegetables float my boat that day.

This seems like a lot of dressing, but it does absorb into the pasta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 01:13 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,586,887 times
Going to try this soon:

Macaroni-may use small shells
Roasted red peppers
halved grape tomatoes
black sliced olives
red onion
feta cheese
lite mayo

Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,259,425 times
I make a "krab" pasta salad:

1 box of tri-color rotini, cooked, rinsed, and cooled

1 package of fake crab meat, chopped up

half block of your favorite cheese (I used a cheddar or swiss for this usually)

half red onion, diced finely

pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered

one or two cucumbers, diced

a stalk of celery if you want

For the dressing:

Mix light mayo, a squirt or two of regular or spicy mustard, some lemon juice and lots of black pepper. Add to the above ingredients until you get your desired consistency and let chill for a few hours or overnight

Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 PM

373 posts, read 1,702,696 times
pepperoni, sundried tomatoes, black olives, shredded provolone, drew's italian dressing, garlic powder, oregano

or shrimp, capers, artichokes, black olives, shredded italian-type cheese (any kind), grape tomatoes (or a little chopped red bell pepper), garlic powder, drew's italian dressing

Old 07-28-2008, 07:15 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,593,369 times
pasta cooked and drained.
add chopped fresh tomato, fresh chopped garlic, black olives, cubed mozzarella, a few basil leaves chopped and some EVOO...

Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,246,378 times
This is a good thread to resurrect since the summer is here and I'm starting with pasta salads again.

I have a good one. We had a lot of pasta and broccoli left over. This is a popular Italian dish with oil and garlic served hot. Well I took the cold left overs out and sprinkled a little Italian dressing on it and it was so good. You can even add to it like cubed cheese, grape tomatoes etc. I would even make this hot from scratch and use it for a pasta salad.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 AM

4,128 posts, read 13,271,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Here's a real easy salad that I make:

I use tri-color pasta, add to it chopped red pepper, provolone cubes & pepperoni slices. Mix with Italian salad dressing. Chill.

Hope you like it!
I make this w/o the pepperoni slices and I add other cut-up veggies (shredded carrots etc) - I also add in McCormick's Salad Supreme spice (recipe is on the back of the bottle) - it travels well and lasts longer b/c you don't have to worry about it going bad like you would w/ a creamy dressing (I still wouldnt keep it unrefrigerated too long) - it also looks nice w/ grape tomatoes around the inside of the bowl

Old 05-17-2009, 08:04 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,246,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I make this w/o the pepperoni slices and I add other cut-up veggies (shredded carrots etc) - I also add in McCormick's Salad Supreme spice (recipe is on the back of the bottle) - it travels well and lasts longer b/c you don't have to worry about it going bad like you would w/ a creamy dressing (I still wouldnt keep it unrefrigerated too long) - it also looks nice w/ grape tomatoes around the inside of the bowl
I buy the big pack of Feta from Costco and crumble that in pasta salad too. It tends to be more Greek I guess as I use Kalamata Olives.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:33 PM

540 posts, read 1,201,882 times
I used to host dozens of luncheon seminars and had to bring the food. I had pasta salad coming out of my ears for years.

1 box tricolor or elbow cooked and cooled
add any or all
thin red onion
shredded carrot
black olives
blanched broccoli
1 or 2 finely chopped jalapenos
1 cup cubed cheese, provolone, cheddar or mozzarella
1 cup of favorite Italian dsg or mayo
1 or 2 cans of tuna drained and flaked. Chill well

They always loved the tuna flavor

Old 05-23-2009, 11:29 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,983,211 times
Default an offer you can't refuse...

12 to 16 oz of dry pasta (penne is a good one because it is semolina based and holds up to vinegar and oil w/out getting pastie
1 lb of fresh pencil asparagus
half pt of grape or cherry tomatoes
1 red sweet pepper, chopped fresh garlic, 1/2 finely diced red onion
greek, french, or med olives, as desired
grated parm, romano, or white cheddar or crumbled bleu or feta
evoo, s&p, red pepper flakes, rinsed capers, red wine vinegar

prep and drain penne, blanche asparagus in salted water for no more than 3 minutes, drain and immediately cool in refrigerator in ice. halve the tomatoes. place on baking sheet. sprinkle salt, sugar, and a tiny bit of olive oil on them. place in 300d oven for about 11/2 hours. they will shrink and intensify in flavor. it is worth the time---its your dish, so you decide. prep the sweet red pepper. char it over flame of cooking stove. when charred, put in plastic bag to sweat. peel when cooled. gut, dress, and strip into pieces. chop garlic and dice the red onion. prep your olives, pit if needed. grate the selected cheese(s). create emulsion of evoo and red wine vinegar. 1/2 to 2/3's cup rwv to about 1/2 to 1 cup evvo---your taste preference. add herbs oregano, thyme, chopped fresh basil, garlic, capers, seasonings, and onion. prep asparagus by removing any tough ends. cut to about 1" lengths. add dried tomatoes. add all ingredients including the cheese(s). add emulsion to bowl. enrobe thoroughly. let it mascerate for several hours before serving. take out of refridgerator 1 hour before serving. correct seasoning to taste.

to add proteins to carbohydrate simply add fresh crab meat, lobster, boiled or grilled shrimp, grilled chicken breast or roasted thighs, etc. consider summer sausages, italian, polish, etc. american ham, country ham, proscuitto, sopres, etc. pancetta that is rendered is wonderful diced up in this for a late night supper. serve a good red---perhaps a chiante. enjoy! the colors in this salad are very pretty. choose a large deep white, green or yellow platter or bowl. garnish with underpining of romaine, etc. or fresh sprigs of rosemary wreathed on top of the romaine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes