U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:45 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,887,046 times

Advertisements

Made this the other night and it was good.

baby spinach
2-3 rashers of crispy bacon, crumbled
handful of roasted almonds, chopped
roasted tomatos/garlic cloves with olive oil, sea salt
red pepper, sliced
marinated artichokes
feta cheese

* tomatos, chunked *cherry tomatos , halved*
* garlic cloves, large cloves cut into 4
* toss with liberal amount olive oil, and sea salt until well-coated
* Roast at 450', for 10 minutes .. turn .. another 5-10 minutes, or until garlic starts to brown and tomato juices dry a little.

Layer of spinach leaves, sprinkle half roasted tomato/garlic mixture, few artichokes, half red pepper slices, sprinkle almonds chunks, bacon crumbles and a little feta, .. and re-layer the same. Very tasty, with the juices from the tomatos, garlic, olive oil and salt, combined with the vinagrette flavour of the marinated artichokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:54 AM

8,738 posts, read 9,941,105 times
I LOVE pasta salads!

sun dried tomato pasta salad

Sun-dried Tomato Pasta Salad

greek pasta salad

Stop & Shop

roasted garlic pasta caprese salad

http://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-recip...n-a-jiffy.html

Old 12-10-2011, 10:10 AM

36,949 posts, read 45,395,424 times
Baby greens, strawberries, bleu or gorgonzola, and sugared pecans (just melt granulated sugar, stir around the nuts until coated and dump onto some wax paper). Poppyseed dressing, or a sweeter vinaigrette.
Wedge salad with a sliver of iceberg, crumbled bacon, crumbled bleu cheese, a few grape tomatoes, and bleu cheese dressing.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,189,343 times
I always keep small baggies (about 1/2 - 3/4 cup) of cooked hamburger in the freezer. (I fry up 5 to 10 pounds at a time).

Salad for work -
Tupperware with a lid full of lettuce, some shredded cheese, some black olives, chopped onions and tomatoes if you want them, 3 to 4 tablespoons of your favorite salsa (or 6 or 8 or 10 ...). Throw it in your lunch bag. Throw a baggie of frozen hamburger in the bag.

Lunchtime comes, you can nuke the beef for a minute, put on top of the lettuce, and you have a basic taco salad. If you have a bag of tortilla chips laying around, crush 'em up and throw them on top.

Use mayo and ketchup instead of the salsa, use more cheese and maybe some crumbled bacon - and you have a cheese burger salad.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 AM

3,853 posts, read 5,287,667 times
One of my favorite things to add to a typical green salad is sauteed veggies like carrots, onions, and/or peppers. Even snow peas fry up nice and quick and they really add a different flavor. I pour them over the croutons to soften them. I credit a local Italian place for getting me started on this. They chop carrots and red pepper on the diagonal and saute them to a crisp sweetness; they are fantastic.

Also, I like to mix my own homemade dressing that consists of olive or canola oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and a good brown mustard. This whip up thick with a sweet/sour taste.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 PM

879 posts, read 2,409,271 times
My fave homemade salad is with spinach and you can mix with lettuce. Sliced red peppers, hard boiled egg, crumbled blue cheese and my absolutely favorite store bought dressing is Wishbone balsamic and basil vinaigrette.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:42 PM

17,470 posts, read 20,825,105 times
My salad:
1 bag of dole Italian blend salad
1 bag of dole spring mix salad
1 can small pitted black olives
dill weed 2 tsp
1 can of chick peas
1 vidalia onion chopped or sliced thin
1 bottle of Ken's light red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing ( I use half of the large bottle)
1 bag crutons any kind you like
1/2 brick of cracker barrel NY aged white cheddar cheese shredded or 1 1/2 cups crumbled blue cheese. I use wither or depending on what I feel like having that day.
put all ingredients in a large salad bowl, add dressing and crutons and toss. can make the salad ahead but add the crutons and salad dressing just before serving. Keeps well in a plastic covered salad bowl for 2 days and tastes even better the day after.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 AM

71,682 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Default That WOW salad!!

If you were asked to bring a very special salad to your next family get together what would you choose and why. Let's not say, cold slaw, potato or basic green salad. Let's think of something a little unusual.

I would take a cauliflower/broccoli salad with Ramen noodles, that had been slightly fried or roasted for crispness. I would add some pecans or almonds, make a raspberry lemon dressing and maybe even add a green onion or 2.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:42 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,609,284 times
Wow. Sorry, I would put your salad on "ignore".

I went to a luncheon the other day, and there was an Asian chicken salad, and a fresh fruit salad, with a fresh mint dressing, that was really, WOW! I never had a fresh mint dressing before, it made the salad really spectacular.

I guess I am boring, I like boring salads.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 AM

119,959 posts, read 14,230,502 times
One of our WOW salads is German pickled Herring salad. We always make it when we have to bring a dish, or I make it when someone comes. There are a few different ways to make this salad, so it is never dull or boring to eat this. Herring salad...or Matje...is very popular in parts of Germany and a traditional meal, handed down from generation to generation. Now my kids learned how to make it. Here are the ingredients of one way way we make it :

fillet herring , about 150-160 g per person
yogurt (5-6 tablespoons)
cream (100-150 ml)
3 green apples
lemon (spatter)
mustard (1 teaspoon)
1 cucumber
2 medium onions
5 small dill pickles and little bit brine out of the jar
pepper, salt, pinch of sugar
bunch of chives or spring onions
1 tomato
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes