Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:08 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just tried a new one last night that was a good as any salad I have ever had.

Jicama slaw

All the ingredients were sliced very thin.

Jicama
red onions
jalapeno pepper (seeded)
mango
avocado

I just sliced everything and added a citrus dressing with equal amounts of Olive oil and oj plus juice and zest of one lime. Then I chopped about 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro and mix it in with the salad. I let it set for about an hour, but next time I will let it set even longer.
I'll have to try jicama. How would you describe the taste?

The salad sounds great and has all of my favorite fruits, vegetables and I adore cilantro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 03:37 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Jicama has no taste, but it is very crisp and low cal. It is kind of like a water chestnut.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I like this salad for a light dinner during the summer.

Shrimp and Avacado Salad

1 pound cooked shrimp - chopped into pieces (can use frozen cooked shrimp - take off tails)
1 Roma tomato - remove seeds and dice
1 avocado - peeled and chopped small pieces
1 jalapeno - remove seeds and chop small
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro - chopped fine (use parsley if you don't like cilantro)
2 limes - juice and use the juice
salt and pepper to taste

Mix olive oil, lime juice, chopped onion and a dash of salt and pepper - let it sit for about 10 -15 minutes to blend flavors. Combine shrimp, tomato, avocado and jalapeno in large bowl then add the blended oil and lime dressing and toss. Add chopped cilantro and toss. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
sounds like a winner to me, but I think, if I were only going to serve that, I would add a little pasta for bulk and if for 2 people I would use 1/2 lb of shrimp, it for 4 I would use 2 avocados. I think I will give this a try later, when our temps climb close to 100. My favorite chicken salad is wonderful for a summer dinner, but it is nice to have something new and different.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I'll have to try jicama. How would you describe the taste?

The salad sounds great and has all of my favorite fruits, vegetables and I adore cilantro.
I would say it tastes like a very sweet radish or maybe a raw turnip, but a little better consistency. Turnips can be a little hollow sometimes, I have never had that with Jicama.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:03 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
Quote:
sounds like a winner to me, but I think, if I were only going to serve that, I would add a little pasta for bulk and if for 2 people I would use 1/2 lb of shrimp, it for 4 I would use 2 avocados. I think I will give this a try later, when our temps climb close to 100. My favorite chicken salad is wonderful for a summer dinner, but it is nice to have something new and different.
I bet adding pasta would be good but due to high glucose I don't eat a lot of pasta any more. I love shrimp and the more the merrier for me. But if you add pasta you might want to reduce the amount of shrimp especially if you personally don't like a bunch of shrimp!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Jicama has no taste, but it is very crisp and low cal. It is kind of like a water chestnut.
Thanks Gentle! I love water chestnuts so jicama is definitely on my shopping list.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I would say it tastes like a very sweet radish or maybe a raw turnip, but a little better consistency. Turnips can be a little hollow sometimes, I have never had that with Jicama.
Thanks Nmnita! It is good to get different opinions on taste - I enjoy a good radish and turnip from time-to-time.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:55 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
Black Bean and corn salad - has tomato, avocado, jalapeno, shoepeg corn and sweetcorn, red pepper - yummy and very pretty.
We are having a Salad day tomorrow at work and I am bringing this. Along with Paperplates and forks - seems like we never have any of those

Old 07-02-2013, 01:45 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I love the 7 layer salad and I always take it to the family partys if we have one ...
1 pound bacon
1 large head iceberg lettuce - rinsed, dried, and chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed

10 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped cauliflower
  • 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Crumble and set aside.
  2. In a large flat bowl, place the chopped lettuce and top with a layer of onion, peas, shredded cheese, cauliflower and bacon.
  3. Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, sugar and Parmesan cheese. Drizzle over salad and refrigerate until chilled.
In place of the green peas you can use chick peas which my D.I.L loves so we do the chick peas every so often ...

Last edited by phonelady61; 07-02-2013 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-02-2013, 01:49 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
Yummy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes