U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 AM

1,804 posts, read 6,992,030 times

Advertisements

I may have overplanted a wee bit. Anyway, my garden is producing two or three zucchinis per day. I need some recipes quickly. Zucchini bread, Zucchini bake etc. We try to avoid sugars and fat as much as possible. Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:54 PM

424 posts, read 1,508,548 times
Sometimes I make a seat-of-the-pants casserole from zucchini and/or yellow squash. I put several cups of sliced zucchini and onion in a 2-quart deep baking dish, add a 1 to 2 cups of hot chicken broth, salt, black pepper, and maybe a little garlic, parsley, oregano, thyme, etc. if desired. You can also throw in some sliced fresh or canned mushrooms. Top it with some crushed Ritz® crackers if you like, and pour some melted butter, reduced fat spread, or olive oil over the top. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes of so, until things are nice and tender. You can also used the same basic components and method, but use a can of cream soup (celery, chicken, mushroom, etc., regular or reduced fat) and maybe a bit less broth. Of course this will generate a creamy dish. To either configuration you can also add some cooked/chopped (leftovers work) chicken, ham, bacon, turkey, roast pork, etc.

Like I said, I just wing it with this one if I am going on a lowered/healthier fat route. My more conventional squash casseroles on the other hand DO tend to be a bit fattier due to addition of cheese and other fats in sometimes liberal quantities.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:02 PM

186,940 posts, read 76,762,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I may have overplanted a wee bit. Anyway, my garden is producing two or three zucchinis per day. I need some recipes quickly. Zucchini bread, Zucchini bake etc. We try to avoid sugars and fat as much as possible. Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks in advance!
I found this on the net. Sugar free using natural honey. You be the judge if it will work for you.

Cooks.com - Recipe - Zucchini Bread - Sugar Free

Old 07-18-2008, 09:44 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,781,239 times
I just made a really good roasted veg side dish tonight for dinner...

I sliced up a small eggplant, 2 zucchini, two portabello mushrooms...
Added about 1/4 cup evoo, tablespoon garlic (love garlic), some white balsamic- didn't measure- just poured for taste, salt, pepper, italian seasoning...
Tossed and baked at 375 for about 40 minutes... when it came out I tossed in some mediterranian herb feta... it was delicious

Old 07-20-2008, 01:45 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,992,030 times
Thanks you guys! Time to go out to the garden for the daily harvest. BTW, I just had steamed zucchini for lunch. It's good, but I'll be glad to try something new. We are hosting a little get together tomorrow. I'll probably give some away, but I'm sure by the end of the week, we'll get to try some of these.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:49 PM

186,940 posts, read 76,762,663 times
I know you are trying to reduce the sugar and fat but the only way I really like mine are sauteed in olive oil. I need the olive oil so that works for me. The zuchinni breads and such that I love have to much sugar. Maybe a corn muffin with zuchinni might could be worked up with a low sugar base. Just an idea. I also use them in a caserole with way to much fat with the addition of cheese maybe twice a year. But my tummy forgives me.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:36 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,760,209 times
Zucchini Fritters:

2 large eggs
8-9 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
Parmesan cheese & grated marble cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 grated zucchini
¼ small onion, grated

combine everything except the zucchini in a large bowl. squeeze the grated zucchini in a paper towel to remove any excess liquid, then combine with the batter. Fry in a little olive oil or veggie oil until browned on both sides. I keep a little in the fridge for whenever I get hungry.

GREAT dipped in a little garlic aioli!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:56 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,760,209 times
zucchini strand spaghetti | smitten kitchen

I think I'm going to make this tomorrow for lunch.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,831,687 times
I just sauteed it in some EVOO and s and p. Tasty! Or you can steam them with some Badia seasoning!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:45 PM

12,625 posts, read 18,136,627 times
saute them with sweet onions, green/red peppers, tomatoes on the grill of course coat them in olive oil and whatever spices you like.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes