U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:36 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,691,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Nah. We do have a guy who runs out about every 3 months or so and gets some steaks from another base and brings 'em back in his backpack on the chopper. So, sometimes we get a taste of home.

I was talking about when I was back home. Which I will be, YEAH!!! in less than 3 weeks.

That casserole sounds MMmmm MMMmmm good. I will make it. And lavish praises upon thee when I am done.
Anything we can do to help you get a taste of home, you let us know. God bless you and your fellow soldiers.

As I said before, my family is picky about foods with heavy sauces or too much salad dressing or mayo, so I always take something I know they will eat. And I often push the envelope and take something out of the ordinary or with a twist to wake up people taste buds.

As an example, for July 4th we were invited to a cookout where they were going to do a ham and I was asked to bring potato salad. My family wanted au gratin potatoes to go with ham so I took that and we baked them in a cast iron skillet over the grill. Whole different flavor that was perfect for a cook-out.

For pot lucks at church, I may take a cake or some baked good and an ethnic dish- chicken or pork satay, ginger turkey over East Indian rice, or one of the Hungarian dishes I have learned to cook for DH. My favorite is lesco (pronounced letch-o). It is easy,easy, easy! I think people get tired of the old standbys so unless it is one that I do exceptionally well, I usually pass on them. Scalloped potatoes and ham is one that my family requests that I take frequently.

If it is a tea for the bishop, I usually make the finger sandwiches. I substitute salmon for tuna and make salmon salad, lots of finely chopped celery and cucumber. I usually have a cheese spread, maybe shredded cheddar and chopped olive and walnut with a little mayonnaise; and a sweet sandwich such as creamed cheese with maraschino cherries and chopped pecans. And a fourth sandwich using meat, chicken or ham salad, or even a liver pate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:52 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,778,679 times
Salad... this particular one tastes very similar to Applebees Asian Chicken salad w/o the chicken

Equal amounts of...

Salad Mix
ColeslawMix
Brocoli Slaw Mix
Chow Mein Noodels
Soak it in Poppyseed Dressing (I like T Marzetti's Poppyseed or Bolthouse Farms Coleslaw dressing-really a poppy dressing)

Toss and serve... everyone LOVES this salad and it is the EASIEST salad in the world to make

Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 PM

18,260 posts, read 20,551,128 times
God Bless ya 70Ford and your fellow soldiers for serving our country! Thank you very, very much! Keep safe!

I make my own egg noodles so I get that request a lot for carry-ins, change it up whether I use beef or chicken. Also asked for my apple salad quite often.

Apples, washed, cored & diced up with skin left on
Celery, diced up
Grapes, halved
Walnuts, chopped
Miracle Whip (not mayo)
Peanut Butter
Sugar to taste

Mix Miracle Whip and about 1/4-1/3 amount of Peanut butter (compared to the Miracle Whip) with a tad bit of sugar to taste. Pour dressing over salad and mix well; chill to serve.

Sorry about the measurement but it depends on how many I am making it for. You could add raisins or mini marshmallows if you know it will all be eaten the same day. Either way this salad is best eaten the day you make it but we eat the leftovers too.

If there will be a lot of kids then I will take either Rice Krispie treats, finger jello or brownies usually too.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,054,388 times
Here are a few of my faves:

ORIENTAL CRISPY SLAW

1 pound cole slaw mix
1 bunch scallions, diced
1 pkg. Chicken flavor Ramen soup
cup shelled, unsalted sunflower seeds
cup sliced or slivered almonds
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
cup white vinegar

Toss slaw mix & diced scallions in a bowl.

In a separate bowl mix together sugar, oil, vinegar, and the seasoning packet from the Ramen soup.

Pour dressing over slaw mix. Toss well. Cover & chill.

Crush noodles from Ramen soup. Add sunflower seeds and almonds. Mix well. Add seed mixture to slaw right before serving and toss well.

BROCCOLI SALAD

1 head broccoli
1 pound bacon, cooked & crumbled
medium onion, diced
cup raisins
8 oz. mayo
2/3 cup sugar
2 TBS white vinegar

Cut fattest part of stalk off of broccoli and discard. Slice remaining stalk thinly up from bottom and make florets into bite size pieces. Add bacon, onion, and raisins. Toss.

In a separate bowl mix mayo, sugar, and vinegar. Stir well. Mixture will be gritty. Pour over broccoli mix and toss well. Cover & refrigerate 4+ hours. Toss before serving.

Bacon Spaghetti

1 lb. spaghetti noodles
1 lb. bacon (do not use center cut, you need the fat)
1 med. onion, chopped
3 cans petite diced tomatoes (you can use any flavor, I usually buy one can of garlic or something and then the other 2 plain)

Freeze the bacon for about 30 minutes. Then slice it into pretty small pieces. Fry it up in a pan. Once it's crispy remove it with a slotted spoon. Let it sit on a paper towel. Save all of the grease in the pan. Add the chopped onion to the grease and cook for about 5 minutes. Oh yea, cook the noodles in the meantime. Once the noodles are ready, add all the grease and onion to them, then the tomatoes. Let it simmer to heat all the way through, then add the bacon. Stir it up and eat. One more thing, I chop up the spaghetti really good. I use kitchen shears right in the pan.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,802,617 times
I made this today, except used chicken livers. Cooked them for 7 minutes in hot oil. There's something about putting that gooey chicken (again) in the flour and then deep frying this that makes this spectacular.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:13 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Okay, I have to ask; been to many potlucks in Iraq? I am not quite sure how to process this.
Huh?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,490,850 times
I get asked a lot to bring chicken and noodles to potlucks. I just make my own noodles out of egg and flour and roll thin, dry and cut them in thin noodles. For the broth I boil chicken breast with onions and parsley and a bit of chicken soup base. Pick the chicken off the bones and toss in the noodles and cook until done.

Other times people ask for Texas cake or my Oatmeal Cake, but the most requested item is the Flan Cake recipe which I got from a post on CD long ago. Everyone loves this cake.

Flan Cake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or