Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM

207 posts, read 704,815 times

Advertisements

I make cookies all the time & they are delicious but I have yet to find that recipe for the slightly chewy chocolate cookie recipe. Has anyone had the "old Fashion Chocolate Cookie" that Wegman's sale. That cookie is thick and slightly chewy. How do I make cookies like that? Thx
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 PM

180 posts, read 793,995 times
I like my cookies slightly chewy too. I always slightly underbake on parchment and store in an airtight container with a slice of bread. The bread gets hard, cookies stay soft.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 PM

ok, maybe I will make my regualr recipe that everyone loves & undercook them. I did not know if maybe it was because I use a reciope that onoly has butter in it veersus butter & vegetable shortening.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:27 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
I make cookies all the time & they are delicious but I have yet to find that recipe for the slightly chewy chocolate cookie recipe. Has anyone had the "old Fashion Chocolate Cookie" that Wegman's sale. That cookie is thick and slightly chewy. How do I make cookies like that? Thx
I am running to Wegmans now... I am tempted to buy a pack of the cookies to see how they compare

Try Paula Dean's Recipe

1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (18-ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner's sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey." Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:28 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
OMG, that sounds SO good. Leave it to Paula...

Old 07-24-2008, 03:29 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
ok, maybe I will make my regualr recipe that everyone loves & undercook them. I did not know if maybe it was because I use a reciope that onoly has butter in it veersus butter & vegetable shortening.
I hate hard chocolate chip cookies. I've always "undercooked" them (I think most people overcook!) and I've always used a recipe that only used butter.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I hate hard chocolate chip cookies. I've always "undercooked" them (I think most people overcook!) and I've always used a recipe that only used butter.
I think cookies are meant to be left a little raw myself...

AND... Paula Dean is wonderful... you know they will be good if she is making them... it is all that BUTTER she loves so much

Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,844 times
Default Chocolate chip cookies with variations...

I'm posting here the basic Toll House cookie recipe with variations at the end to achieve different desired effects. Basically, playing around with the type of shortening, eggs, type of of sugar and flour (which affect the moisture level of the dough), and temperature of the dough gives you flexibility in achieving the cookie style you want.

Cookies 073 (Chocolate Chip Cookies 03 - Original Nestlé® Toll House® Chocolate Chip Cookies with Variations)

2¼ cups all-purpose (bleached) flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup granulated (white) sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 cup chopped nuts

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
3. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Yields 60 cookies

VARIATIONS:

1. PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Grease 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Yields 4 dozen bars.

2. SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION: Prepare dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut into ½-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies. NOTE: Prepared dough may be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 8 weeks.

3. THIN AND CRISP VARIATION: Follow basic recipe with the following changes: Use an EXTRA pinch of baking soda, 2 oz. of whole milk, an EXTRA ½-tsp. vanilla extract, an EXTRA ¼-cup of white sugar, and ¼-cup LESS brown sugar. Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix wet ingredients well and allow mixture to come to room temperature. Cream the butter with the sugars. Blend the liquid mixture in well. Blend in the flour and baking soda and lastly add the chocolate morsels and nuts (optional). Using a scoop (for consistent cookie size), drop the dough onto (parchment paper-covered) ungreased cookie sheet, leaving plenty of room between cookies. Cook for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden brown, rotating the pan as necessary to ensure even cooking. Remove from cookie sheet immediately to prevent further cooking; allow cookies to cool completely prior to storing.

4. SOFT AND PUFFY VARIATION: Follow basic recipe with the following changes: Use 1 cup of butter-flavored vegetable shortening INSTEAD of the butter, an EXTRA ¼-cup of brown sugar, 2¼ cups of CAKE flour INSTEAD of the all-purpose flour, 1½ tsp. of baking POWDER instead of the baking soda, and an EXTRA ½-tsp. vanilla extract. Cream the shortening with the sugars. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla extract. Slowly blend in the dry ingredients, which have been sifted together. Beat well to allow the moisture to be absorbed and the batter to form. Finally, mix in the chocolate morsels and nuts (optional). Chill the batter for 30 minutes or longer. Using a scoop (for consistent cookie size), drop the dough onto (parchment paper-covered) ungreased cookie sheet, leaving plenty of room between cookies. Cook for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden brown, rotating the pan as necessary to ensure even cooking. Remove from cookie sheet immediately to prevent further cooking; allow cookies to cool completely prior to storing.

5. CHEWY AND MOIST VARIATION: Follow basic recipe with the following changes: Use ½-cup LESS white sugar, ½-cup EXTRA brown sugar, 2¼ cups of BREAD flour INSTEAD of the all-purpose flour, 1 LESS egg, plus the yolk of 1 egg, an EXTRA ½-tsp. vanilla extract, and 1 oz. (2 tbsp.) milk Melt the butter over low heat. Add the melted butter to a mixing bowl and blend in the sugars well. Mix in the egg, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla extract, beating well. Slowly blend in the dry ingredients, which have been sifted together. Beat well to allow the moisture to be absorbed and the batter to form. Finally, mix in the chocolate morsels and nuts (optional). Chill the batter for 30 minutes or longer. Using a scoop (for consistent cookie size), drop the dough onto (parchment paper-covered) ungreased cookie sheet, leaving plenty of room between cookies. Cook for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden brown, rotating the pan as necessary to ensure even cooking. Remove from cookie sheet immediately to prevent further cooking; allow cookies to cool completely prior to storing.

Last edited by buckhead; 07-25-2008 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: Edited to correct format

Old 07-25-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Wegman's Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I am running to Wegmans now... I am tempted to buy a pack of the cookies to see how they compare

Try Paula Dean's Recipe

1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (18-ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner's sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey." Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Hi SKBS,

The cookie from Wegman's is a homemade cookie that they sale individually. They are usually sold at the cash registers for about $1.50 each. They are so yummy, the perfect chocolate chewy goodness in a nice thick & chunky cookie.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to play around with my recipe to see what happens. I may also try the Paula recipe.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Hi SKBS,

The cookie from Wegman's is a homemade cookie that they sale individually. They are usually sold at the cash registers for about $1.50 each. They are so yummy, the perfect chocolate chewy goodness in a nice thick & chunky cookie.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to play around with my recipe to see what happens. I may also try the Paula recipe.
I have only had their Old Fashioned Choco Chip ones at the sub shop... but I didn't know they had a Chocolate one... I went looking for the ones in the plastic box near the bakery... LOL Do you remember when Weggies used to actually MAKE the cookies right at the store? I think they used to taste so much better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes