U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:47 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,142,053 times

Advertisements

Wow, I hadn't thought about Coconut Cream Pie for a long time. Guess I haven't been in a diner for quite awhile. You know where they have the pies in those display cases. And that reminds me of Boston Cream Pie which I haven't seen for a long time either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 03:44 PM

18,260 posts, read 20,551,128 times
Hey Nomadicus after posting the PB pie to you guess what I am enjoying right now???? Crust is so flaky, filling is luscious and the whipped topping is fresh yum yum.

Now onto your new question...... I have never made a key lime does it set up or is it creamy type filling? I suppose you might try putting the base of key lime putting in the fridge to let it set up firm then put your coconut filling on top. Are you using meringue or whipped topping? I think with the meringue you could put it under your broiler to brown along with your pre- toasted coconut.

Just had a thought what about a small dusting of powdered sugar between layers to help keep them separated??????

Old 11-02-2008, 04:16 PM

186,938 posts, read 76,735,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Hey Nomadicus after posting the PB pie to you guess what I am enjoying right now???? Crust is so flaky, filling is luscious and the whipped topping is fresh yum yum.

Now onto your new question...... I have never made a key lime does it set up or is it creamy type filling? I suppose you might try putting the base of key lime putting in the fridge to let it set up firm then put your coconut filling on top. Are you using meringue or whipped topping? I think with the meringue you could put it under your broiler to brown along with your pre- toasted coconut.

Just had a thought what about a small dusting of powdered sugar between layers to help keep them separated??????
I didn't think of the barrier layer. Powered sugar maybe just what the chef ordered. Key lime does setup firm more so than coconut so I think the coconut goes on top with a whipped cream topping. Calories for the week in a slice. That's how I'll bill it. My story and I'm not changing it.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:02 PM

Well I do hope you give us your results after trying this please. I won't try to change your mind on your story either. It is safe with me.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 8,924,022 times
Made the toll house pie today. Yummy! Lots of homemade whipped cream to top it cause I made a mistake at Costco's & bought heavy cream containers instead of half & half for the coffee. Hubby has loved the heavy cream in his coffee too!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:46 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,040,558 times
I heard a story today about a lady in Texas whose grandmother owned a corner bakery, and baked the best pies for miles around.

Grandma died many years ago, and the bakery has now sadly gone, but her grand-daughter (now in her 60s) has the original 'from scratch' recipe for the Banana Cream Pie that made granny famous, and continues to make it at home by the dozen, for local customers to order. I have to find this pie-maker and try out these famous pies. Will report back.....

Old 11-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I heard a story today about a lady in Texas whose grandmother owned a corner bakery, and baked the best pies for miles around.

Grandma died many years ago, and the bakery has now sadly gone, but her grand-daughter (now in her 60s) has the original 'from scratch' recipe for the Banana Cream Pie that made granny famous, and continues to make it at home by the dozen, for local customers to order. I have to find this pie-maker and try out these famous pies. Will report back.....
Please do. Banana cream is a favorite that I justify as it has potassium that I need.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 PM

9,626 posts, read 23,757,351 times
Speaking of layered coconut pie, this one doesn't have key lime, and it's waaay too labor intensive, but is also absolutely awesome...

Food - Triple Coconut Cream Pie - CottageLiving.com

Old 11-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Speaking of layered coconut pie, this one doesn't have key lime, and it's waaay too labor intensive, but is also absolutely awesome...

Food - Triple Coconut Cream Pie - CottageLiving.com
This may be labor intensive but looks worth every second of it. That is if you like coconut like I do. Thanks for the link. It is in my bookmarks for treats now.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Please do. Banana cream is a favorite that I justify as it has potassium that I need.

I love this thread but sure am enjoying your way of thinking Normadicus! The humor seems to lessen the 'sin' of divulging in calorie laden pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes