U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 08:15 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,153,163 times

Advertisements

When I was little my grandma used to make me blackberry cobbler, she would always make out the dough and then roll it out, cut it into strips and then put it on top of the blackberries in a lattice pattern. I have looked for the dough recipe since hers died with her. I don't know if it was a pie crust recipe or what but I would love to make one. So if you have a recipe would you mind sharing it with me? I make cobblers but the ones where you pour the batter on top and it sinks down, that is not what I am looking for. I think she would also dust the crust with sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 05:07 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,833,517 times
My grandmother made blackberry cobbler and sometimes used the strips.

I have a feeling she used leftover biscuit dough. This was on a farm during the Depression, with 5 kids. Pretty sure she didn't make a special dough.

I am last person to ask for a recipe for biscuits--I have a thread in the other Food forum about this. If you have a pie crust recipe that is good use that.

We used to pick the blackberries--they grew wild and were so good. They are pretty expensive in the grocery stores now. If you have a source for fresh blackberries you are fortunate. My grandmother made the best blackberry jam and jelly. I loved to smell it cooking and it tasted like summer on a piece of toast on a cold winter morning.

TakeAhike

Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,080 times
Lattice Blackberry Cobbler

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon ice-cold water
4 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the Pastry: Combine the flour and salt together in a medium bowl; cut in the shortening with a knife and fork until mixture crumbly like coarse meal. Stir in the ice-cold water with a fork until just combined. Form into a ball, cover and chill for about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
Combine blackberries 1 cup sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
roll pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface and cut into 1-inch wide strips.
Pour half of berry mixture into a greased 12x8x2-inch glass dish and arrange half of the strips in a lattice design over berry mixture. Brush strips with 1 tablespoon butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until pastry is lightly browned. Remove from oven. Pour remaining berry mixture over baked pastry. Arrange remaining pastry strips in lattice design over berry mixture. Brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar.Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.Serve warm with vanilla or whipped cream

Last edited by crystaljblack; 11-23-2008 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: error in submission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes