U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 04:58 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,636,738 times

Advertisements

I have a cousin coming to visit in a couple of days. Her daughter has celiac disease, and eats gluten free. The last time I was there, her mom made this chocolate dessert - it was disgusting! I really feel for people who can't enjoy chocolate without paying for it later (and not just the way I pay either - ie my big butt)

Anyway, I searched the forums here and found some threads, but I'm really looking for some good ideas from those who have EATEN this stuff (not just googled some recipes) for what actually tastes good. My cousin said "anything's fine" and she'll figure it out and bring her own food, but I'd like her to feel like she's a part of things and not just serve her separately.

I've read the stuff about having separate cooking stuff, which I don't mind buying and storing in betwee visits. I've perused the recipe websites, but I don't have a lot of time to experiment here, so I'd like some advice from those who know.

The plan is to have grilled chicken and some zuchinni the night they're here, but I need to know -

Are olive oil, oregano, kosher salt and pepper okay to put on the zuchinni before I grill it?

I found a recipe for Artichoke salad that sounds good, but I'd like to hear some other side dish recommendations

And - Desserts! My kids LOVE dessert - is ice cream okay, sherbert, popsicles - does someone have a GOOD recipe for some type of cake, etc?

Thanks so much in advance!

Added: I'd ask my cousin, but the relationship is new and she's being too nice - she doesn't want to put me out and doesn't understand my driving need to see my guests comfortable and happy - no matter what it takes. (She's a 5th cousin to me, we always knew of each other, but have only recently lived within the same state and have begun a relationship)

Last edited by sskkc; 08-28-2008 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 05:33 PM

431 posts, read 1,084,687 times
This is serious.
Not everyone respond to gluten in the same way. Can't take the risk.

For example, the pepper (if already ground) could contain starch. Same goes for salt and sugar. Some companies use starch in processing.

I had to hand crush the pepper, when I had a friend for dinner. She is very sensitive to even a trace. I had to dish wash everything. I used all fresh spices, nothing dried or dehydrated.

NO corn, beans, flour, bread or bread crumbs of any kind, grains, corn starch, potatoes, rice, dairy of any kind... and so on.

If you need to thicken something for a sauce, arrowroot is the stuff to use. Almond meal/flour could be used but only if you grind it yourself.

You could make a barbecue with just green spices, sauté veggies in olive oil, and squash puree instead mashed potatoes.

For dessert, grilled pineapple, cherries, peaches, sprinkled with honey and roasted nuts.

My advice is, let her mother bring what she wants, better for both of you.
She won't feel left out, because she knows her condition, that a small mistake could crate a problem, and I am sure no one want that. Some cases get really sick.

I understand your need to make them feel welcome, but I've learned that it is better to not insist on the matter.

Happy visiting!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,636,738 times
Thanks for the advice Cuisinette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes