U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
17,223 posts, read 20,265,638 times
Reputation: 26317

Advertisements

The reason why I cling to my OLD cookbooks is that the recipes haven't been ruined by making them healthful. Even I would never eat the Crisco salad, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM
 
Location: South Bay Native
9,758 posts, read 13,830,149 times
Reputation: 13802
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The reason why I cling to my OLD cookbooks is that the recipes haven't been ruined by making them healthful. Even I would never eat the Crisco salad, though.
Strange, isn't it? Back in the day when my old cookbooks were written, they used real ingredients and no one had an obesity problem. Nowadays cookbooks have many recipes that include processed food items as ingredients - so I try to substitute "the real thing" whenever I can...like I'll use real potatoes that I peel myself or real garlic instead of the powdered garlic or processed frozen potatoes (which are usually full of trans fats). When the recipe calls for so and so many cans of broth/stock I'll substitute home made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
10,714 posts, read 6,730,004 times
Reputation: 20468
I mentioned on another thread something about this recipe which includes mexican velveeta and chicken Rice a Roni. Here is the recipe.

Corn Casserole

1 block mexican velveeta (I have only seen it in one size)
1 box chicken rice a roni
1 can cream of celery soup
2 cans mexi corn (canned whole kernal corn with peppers)
1 can ro-tel tomatoes drained(optional)

In a LARGE skillet prepare rice according to directions on box. When done, add velveeta, soup and corn. Mix well on low heat. Pour into greased large pyrex dish. Bake at 350 about 45 minutes give or take - just when looks done.

This is sinfully good! If you like more warmth than the cheese will instill, go ahead and add the can of Ro-tel.

Last edited by Katsmeeyow; 09-09-2008 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 PM
 
434 posts, read 803,225 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The reason why I cling to my OLD cookbooks is that the recipes haven't been ruined by making them healthful. Even I would never eat the Crisco salad, though.
This is exactly the same reason I cling to mine... when I get a cake recipe with mix from a box... I just ingnore it.

**********

Anyone here had pig feet aspic?
I love that stuff and make it everytime for holidays. But lately is hard to find fresh feet in the supermarket anymore.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/Cuisinette/Appetizers/Racituri/Aspic.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 02:22 PM
 
1,097 posts, read 2,494,927 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Strange, isn't it? Back in the day when my old cookbooks were written, they used real ingredients and no one had an obesity problem. Nowadays cookbooks have many recipes that include processed food items as ingredients - so I try to substitute "the real thing" whenever I can...like I'll use real potatoes that I peel myself or real garlic instead of the powdered garlic or processed frozen potatoes (which are usually full of trans fats). When the recipe calls for so and so many cans of broth/stock I'll substitute home made.
I admit, I'm too lazy to make chicken broth myself, and there are times when granulated garlic works better than fresh, like for sprinkling on a pizza crust.

But you're right, it's annoying to see a recipe that calls for Minute Rice or other processed foods. And what gets me is that even if a recipe is more "healthful," there are some foods that will never be good for you no matter what. Like cake or cookies - even if you make them slightly healthier, they'll still be somewhat bad for you. My sister went on a diet kick and made us a "pizza" with fat free cheese and turkey pepperoni. Awful doesn't begin to describe it - it was almost as nasty as the pumpkin pie she made with diet pancake syrup (she's not a cook by any means). Sure, these dishes were healthier, but they tasted awful. And if you want to lose weight, don't eat half a freaking pizza and three slices of pie!

I'd rather eat a small bite of something good than a bunch of slightly healthier junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 02:49 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
9,758 posts, read 13,830,149 times
Reputation: 13802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I admit, I'm too lazy to make chicken broth myself, and there are times when granulated garlic works better than fresh, like for sprinkling on a pizza crust.

But you're right, it's annoying to see a recipe that calls for Minute Rice or other processed foods. And what gets me is that even if a recipe is more "healthful," there are some foods that will never be good for you no matter what. Like cake or cookies - even if you make them slightly healthier, they'll still be somewhat bad for you. My sister went on a diet kick and made us a "pizza" with fat free cheese and turkey pepperoni. Awful doesn't begin to describe it - it was almost as nasty as the pumpkin pie she made with diet pancake syrup (she's not a cook by any means). Sure, these dishes were healthier, but they tasted awful. And if you want to lose weight, don't eat half a freaking pizza and three slices of pie!

I'd rather eat a small bite of something good than a bunch of slightly healthier junk.
Amen to that - I've always prefered quality to quantity. If you're going to have a cookie or a piece of cake, you know what to expect (tastewise as well as healthwise). I don't ever buy those "low cal/carb/fat/etc." items because if it's a cookie without fat, then what exactly is in it? Is it even a cookie anymore? I agree - eat one cookie if you're craving something sweet, instead of a whole pie made with chemicals and fillers that tastes as bad going down as it feels going out. Yes, that's what I mean - some things in food these days are not fit for human consumption!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
10,714 posts, read 6,730,004 times
Reputation: 20468
Has anyone ever had something from Winn Dixie called "Devil Dog" Cake? DH brought it home, and it is sinfully rich! Devils food layers with fudge sauce and some sort of topping that tastes like real sweetened cream. This has GOT to be bad for you! Hmmmm, wonder if this has a cup of Crisco in it like the original recipe here!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Where Trolls get BBQ'd
131,621 posts, read 43,994,058 times
Reputation: 114156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Has anyone ever had something from Winn Dixie called "Devil Dog" Cake? DH brought it home, and it is sinfully rich! Devils food layers with fudge sauce and some sort of topping that tastes like real sweetened cream. This has GOT to be bad for you! Hmmmm, wonder if this has a cup of Crisco in it like the original recipe here!?
Maybe so? I can think of several things that might be in it that will make the food police make an arrest. That doesn't mean it's not on top of the must try list. Sadly our Winn Dixie's are mostly closed up down here or I would have to give one a test drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
10,714 posts, read 6,730,004 times
Reputation: 20468
Nomadicus, as much as you like velveeta, fried stuff, etc...you would love this! (Shhhh....I do too!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Bugtussle, near Atlanta
423 posts, read 1,123,231 times
Reputation: 587
Default Well I've had Crisco Salad...

First off, I'll admit that I've been served Crisco Salad...and actually eaten it! It was NOT as bad as one one think...it was tasty in fact. Would I try it again? Probably not.

Second off, I to this day still eat black pepper and mayonnaise sandwiches. Since I was a kid I have always liked them. They were simple and easy to make when you didn't have much else on hand.

Now, in keeping with the theme of this thread, I provide some special recipes. I have tried them all, although I prefer my Mafongo made differently (not fried):


Side Dishes Misc. 110 (Golden Surprise Loaf)

loaf unsliced bread
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 (3-oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 (4-oz.) can devilled ham
1 cup seasoned chopped egg
3 egg whites
tsp. Worcestershire sauce
tsp. salt

Remove crusts from bread. Cut into 4 slices lengthwise. Blend parsley into cream cheese, the spread onto bottom slice and cover with another slice. Spread remaining slices alternately with devilled ham and egg. Assemble like a sandwich with the remaining slice on top. Beat egg whites with Worcestershire sauce and salt until stiff but not dry. Spread this mixture on the top and sides of loaf. Bake at 325F for 15 minutes or until slightly browned.

Yields 8 servings


|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||


Meat Misc. 232 (Mofongo)

3 green plantains
pound chicharron (see NOTE)
3 large garlic cloves
1 tbsp. olive oil

1. Peel the plantains and cut in diagonal slices 1-inch thick.
2. Soak in 4 cups of water with 1 teaspoon of salt for 15 minutes.
3. Deep-fry the plantain slices for 15 minutes, until cooked but not brown.
4. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel.
5. In a mortar, mash the garlic and mix with the olive oil, remove from the mortar.
6. In the mortar, mash 3 slices of the fried plantain, add a little of the chicharron (or bacon) and mash together.
7. Combine with some of the garlic/oil mixture.
8. Form the mixture into balls and enjoy!

NOTE: Chicharron (pork cracklings/pork skin) is available in Hispanic markets; if unavailable substitute bacon.

Buen provecho!


|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||


Rice 185 (Kilauea Purple Passion Rice)

3 cups grape juice
2 vegetable or chicken bouillon cubes
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup rice, uncooked
2 ounces slivered toasted almonds

Preheat over to 350F. Bring grape juice to boil. Dissolve bouillon cubes in juice. Heat butter and brown rice until golden. Transfer rice to 1-quart casserole. Pour boiling grape juice over rice. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, 50 minutes, or until rice is tender.

Yields 4 servings


|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||


Rice 015 (Banana Rice with Savory Cheese Sauce)

Savory Cheese Sauce

2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
1 cup grated American cheese

Melt butter; add flour and seasonings, and stir until smooth. Stir in milk slowly. Add cheese and cook 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce is smooth and thick.

Yields 2 cups

Banana Rice

3 cups boiled rice
2 cups hot Savory Cheese Sauce
2 firm bananas
3 tablespoons butter, melted
salt
paprika

Preheat over to 375F. Mix together rice and cup cheese sauce. Spread over bottom of 10-by-6-by-2-inch baking dish. Peel bananas, cut crosswise in halves, and then cut halves lengthwise. Arrange pieces, cut side down, on top of rice. Drizzle bananas with butter and sprinkle with salt. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until bananas are tender. Pour remaining cheese sauce over bananas and sprinkle with paprika.

Yields 6 to 8 servings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top