U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 01:13 PM

232 posts, read 762,094 times

Advertisements

As a treat when we visited my mom, she would make something she called "Cheese Things".

Make a scratch pizza dough and roll into a large rectangle.
Cut into 4" squares.
Line 1/2 of square with fat rectangle of Velveta, leaving room around the edges.
Press dough closed with a fork and drop in a large quantity of piping hot grease. Not smoking hot but hot.
Cook until medium brown and cheese is melted.
Drain on paper bags and salt.

This treat was gone so fast you can't belive it.
Tasty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 01:28 PM

10,312 posts, read 14,176,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Can't ya make white cake icing with nothing but Crisco and powdered sugar? I think I've had that and my arteries are still working. Anyone ever made it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisinette View Post
If I make you a cake you'll never ask for this again

How can you eat something like that? My skin is crawling... yuck
If you eat grocery store bakery cakes you are probably eating shortening based frosting. Just so's ya know. yummmmm.

Here's one my mom brings to gatherings. Salt and fat, how's that for bad?
Pretzel Salad Recipe

FIRST LAYER
  • 2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
  • 3/4 cup melted margarine
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
SECOND LAYER
  • 1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups whipped topping (small container)
THIRD LAYER
  • 1 lg pkg (6 ounces) strawberry flavored gelatin
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1 (10oz) boxes frozen strawberries
pre heat oven to 400. Put first layer in a 9x13x2-inch pan. Bake 8 minutes. Remove to cool.
Second Layer - Beat sugar into cheese, stir in whipped topping. Spread over cooled pretzels.
Third Layer - Mix gelatin, boiling water and strawberries together and set aside 10 minutes. Pour over cheese mixture; chill thoroughly.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:42 PM

10,887 posts, read 9,858,728 times
I will be definitely trying both of those last ones!!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 05:23 PM

186,906 posts, read 76,653,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If you eat grocery store bakery cakes you are probably eating shortening based frosting. Just so's ya know. yummmmm.

Here's one my mom brings to gatherings. Salt and fat, how's that for bad?
Pretzel Salad Recipe

FIRST LAYER
  • 2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
  • 3/4 cup melted margarine
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
SECOND LAYER
  • 1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups whipped topping (small container)
THIRD LAYER
  • 1 lg pkg (6 ounces) strawberry flavored gelatin
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1 (10oz) boxes frozen strawberries
pre heat oven to 400. Put first layer in a 9x13x2-inch pan. Bake 8 minutes. Remove to cool.
Second Layer - Beat sugar into cheese, stir in whipped topping. Spread over cooled pretzels.
Third Layer - Mix gelatin, boiling water and strawberries together and set aside 10 minutes. Pour over cheese mixture; chill thoroughly.
This one goes in the book. There has to be away to up the ante with some kind of chocolate in there some where. Maybe another layer

Old 09-06-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
As a treat when we visited my mom, she would make something she called "Cheese Things".

Make a scratch pizza dough and roll into a large rectangle.
Cut into 4" squares.
Line 1/2 of square with fat rectangle of Velveta, leaving room around the edges.
Press dough closed with a fork and drop in a large quantity of piping hot grease. Not smoking hot but hot.
Cook until medium brown and cheese is melted.
Drain on paper bags and salt.

This treat was gone so fast you can't belive it.
Tasty
I can taste these already with a thin slice of backed ham added to the Velveeta. Have Fry Daddy will Cook...

Edit: Wife is rolling out some canned biscuits and slicing Velveeta. Mine will have jalapenos in them too. I think we are on a roll here. After a few I may have an increase in my roll.... Two's my limit..

Edit #2: Oh my Oh my. These are soooo gooood. The canned biscuits worked fine. Maybe next time we have homemade pizza crust I can bribe wife into making an extra for these two. These things are right up my alley.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 09-06-2008 at 06:19 PM..

Old 09-06-2008, 06:02 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,569,446 times
Wow guys guess what??? Velveeta-big box-$1.99 this week. Reservations for rooms taken.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:26 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,687,619 times
Nomadicus.....don't forget to bring your laptop to the HOSPITAL so you can still talk to us from there. LOL

Old 09-06-2008, 06:28 PM

10,887 posts, read 9,858,728 times
Why would he go to the hospital? Do they have Velveeta and/or a big Fry Daddy there???

Old 09-06-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Nomadicus.....don't forget to bring your laptop to the HOSPITAL so you can still talk to us from there. LOL
So far so good. I only had two but boy where they good. Got to thinking more about using the homemade pizza dough with galic in it and maybe some fresh grated Parmesan. I did really miss the boat this first time as I had some of those little smoked sausages that would have been oh so good in there with that Velveeta and those jalapenos...

Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,687,619 times
Too funny

Goodnight all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes