Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,455 times

Advertisements

I just remembered a crazy egg peeling video I saw on youtube. Supposedly, you take a hard boiled egg, and peel a tiny piece off of each end, then blow the egg from the shell. One of my son's and I tried it without success.

Check it out and let me know if you have better luck than me.

YouTube - Take 2: How To Blow Off The Shell Of A Hard Boiled Egg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Default Deviled Eggs Pomona

I just decided to have deviled eggs for breakfast. Over the years I've developed this recipe that is just wonderful.

12 XL hardboiled eggs
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
6 dashes red Tabasco (original)
1 heaping tbsp Grey Poupon Dijon
Best Foods or Hellman mayonnaise
smoked paprika
flat crystal (kosher) salt

Slice the cooked eggs, placing the yolks in a bowl. Add the vinegar, Tabasco, and mustard. Mix extremely well and taste. Then add some salt and add a good big glob of mayonnaise. Taste. Add more mayonnaise as necessary. Add more salt as necessary. Sprinkle with paprika.

This recipe is very brand specific for the Tabasco, mustard, and mayo. Substitutes may taste very different.

You may wish to serve sardine sandwiches and Sour Tomato Aspic (never the sweet, furry horror) as accompaniments. The sardines (King Oscar in Olive Oil) should be well chilled and served on hot buttered toast.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:11 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
You may have strangely weird taste, or you may have something really good here. I'm not sure which, but the recipe sounds kind of good.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:18 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Gentlearts I agree - might be good - has the little bit of sour and the savory. I love sweet pickles and onions in my deviled eggs - really sparks up the flavor - sometimes I attend functions where deviled eggs are served and they taste absolutely smooth and bland - no crunch, contrast of flavors or even enough salt - it is surprising how many people like those kinds of deviled eggs. Maybe it depends on how your Mom made deviled eggs...don't know.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 AM

I must say that I find deviled eggs with pickle relish to be awful. But I hate the combination of sweet and pickled. I tried onion long ago. It's overpowering, just like Worcestershire Sauce, deviled ham, minced, smoked salmon, and Iranian caviar, which overwhelmed the egg taste. However, chives might be an option. I'll try it the next time I make the dish. I have used capers. They didn't seem to make a difference one way or the other. I don't use them now. I once used apple cider vinegar on a whim, wondering if I'd just destroyed the batch. But it gave the eggs a subtle and delightful smoky taste.

I've used sour cream, cream cheese softened with milk or cream. as well as combinations of these with each other and with mayonnaise. They were too bland.

I like a pasty consistency as well as soft eggs. They should not make good substitutes for tennis balls.

My mother never made deviled eggs; but she loved sour, tart, and mouth-puckering. She drank straight tonic water instead of sweet soft drinks. I obviously inherited her tastes.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 11-12-2010 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
I don't like pickle relish either except on hot dogs. I use sweet gherkins (diced) and diced purple onion (sweet onion) - yum!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:27 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,780 times
Thumbs up Deviled Eggs. I Love 'em.

I know it's a Miracle Whip commercial of sorts but I still couldn't help but salivating over some of the recipes. Thanks to Drew Curtis' FARK and BuzzFeed, here are some ideas for you @ 10 Deviled Eggs That Put Other Deviled Eggs To Shame

Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Oooooo...love me some deviled eggs. I need to make some now that it 'tis the season!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 AM

I'm an old man; I've loved deviled eggs as long as I can remember, and I've added al kinds of things to them. But all those additions just take away from that good egg flavor. Only a few additions work. My last was apple cider vinegar about ten years ago; it imparts a pleasant smokinesss. However, I've switched to fresh mayo lately with very good results. There are easy to follow videos on youtube.

Here's my recipe.

12 hard boiled eggs
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 dashes original Tabasco
1 Tbsp Grey Poupon
salt
mayonnaise (I make my own using La Tourangelle roasted walnut oil [available on amazon])
Spanish smoked paprika

Mash the cooked egg yolks thoroughly, then add vinegar, Tabasco, and mustard. Now mix the first time. Add about 4 Tbsp of mayo and a tsp or so of salt. Mix thoroughly, adding more salt and mayo to taste as you go. Fill the egg whites and sprinkle them well with paprika.

I used to use Best Foods (Hellman's) mayo; however fresh is so much tastier. I just discovered roasted walnut oil a few months ago; it has just about replaced olive oil for me. It's also the best oil for pancakes and waffles.

La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil, 16.9 Ounce Can: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Chiquilin Smoked Paprika Tin 2.64oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 04-09-2014, 01:22 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
I love deviled eggs and will eat them in any season. I love making all kinds of different combos. My current favorite is mixing the yolk with hummus and adding various spices/seasonings and topping with some sort of crunchy ingredient such as fresh jalapeno or something like diced avocado- it's delicious!

I also love hot and spicy Sriracha deviled eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes