Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 07:59 AM

5,859 posts, read 11,882,689 times

Advertisements

I always get asked to bring my deviled eggs to parties. People ask me what makes them so good and my answer is simplicity. Yolks, Hellman's mayo (no Miracle Whip for me thanks), salt, pepper and a little bit of Maille dijon mustard. Paprika on top. I'm in the "no foreign objects" category!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 08:16 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,230,404 times
I like deviled eggs but hate that most people insist on putting paprika on them. If you need some kind of red powder on them, how about some Old Bay instead? Or skip the red color and just give them a grind of black pepper.

NO PAPRIKA!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,134,847 times
I have a cooker that hard boils eggs and leaves 'em easy to peel.

I was amazed wen I went to Golden Corral and found some great tasting deviled eggs at the salad bar.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,755,546 times
Onions and I are not friends but I do chop up some that are super fine and add a little crunch. I mix Italian seasoning in with the yolks, Miracle Whip and the onions. I put black olives around the platter with the eggs and sometimes top them with black caviar. It's not for everyone so I sometimes leave it on the side. It's a simple yet elegant looking dish. My eggs are always the first thing to disappear. Second only to brownies which I'll eat for dinner.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:13 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,057,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I was amazed wen I went to Golden Corral and found some great tasting deviled eggs at the salad bar.
I wish your Golden Corral would teach our Golden Corral how to make them. At the restaurant by us, the egg whites taste and feel rubbery.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I love them, but in 56 years I have never mastered boiling eggs so that they are easy to peel. I used to work in a deli in college and we had a way that we boiled eggs that worked, but either I have forgotten it or it doesn't work for me. It seems like we used to bring the eggs to a boil and then turn off the fire and let the eggs sit in the water for a couple of hours, where they finished cooking and then were easy to peel. But seems like no matter what I try, I get eggs that won't peel. Nothing ruins deviled eggs more than pock-marked egg whites from trying to peel them.
Use eggs that are at least one (preferably two or three) weeks old. Unrefrigerated eggs as they're kept in Europe may be used in two or three days.

Prick holes in the large end of the eggs. Cracking in the boiling water will be very rare. You can use a straight pin or a handy device. This allows gas to escape from the egg. Pressure rises with heat; we want the pressures inside and outside of the eggs to equalize.

Place them in in rapidly boiling and heavily salted water. The salt raises the boiling point. It also congeals the white in any that should break.

Boil for ten to twelve minutes.

Remove them and plunge them into an ice water bath. Let them chill at least thirty minutes.

Do not refrigerate the boiled eggs to use later. Peel, slice, and prepare your deviled eggs or egg salad immediately. If you do have a messy egg put the yolk into your yolk bowl. Eat the whites as you go or share them with your pets.

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-Egg-Pi..._bxgy_k_text_z

http://www.amazon.com/MIU-France-Pla...slicer+piercer

Old 04-10-2014, 11:50 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,872,807 times
^^ I will second the use "old" eggs tip. That's the easiest, surest way to have eggs that are easy to peel. Just don't use fresh eggs, it's as simple as that.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:50 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,114,326 times

How to Peel an Egg Russian Way! - YouTube

Old 04-10-2014, 07:35 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,141,254 times
Default Avocado Tint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Just don't mash them into the yolk - that color is disturbing.
Yes, I was thinking what a flavorful combo, but to imagine the color that would be created is not as appealing. I will not be mashing them into the yolk now. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:46 PM

7,343 posts, read 5,459,117 times
Everyone raves about my deviled eggs. all I add to the smashed yokes is Miracle Whip, a squirt of yellow mustard, salt to taste, top with a sprinkle of paprika.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes