Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 10:33 AM

487 posts, read 748,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I like deviled eggs but hate that most people insist on putting paprika on them. If you need some kind of red powder on them, how about some Old Bay instead? Or skip the red color and just give them a grind of black pepper.

NO PAPRIKA!!!
Romanians & Hungarians put paprika on and in everything. The taste is so mild - especially just a sprinkle on a deviled egg - that I'm surprise that anyone has such a strong dislike for it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:01 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
Romanians & Hungarians put paprika on and in everything. The taste is so mild - especially just a sprinkle on a deviled egg - that I'm surprise that anyone has such a strong dislike for it...
I've given up using paprika for any sort of flavoring, even an expensive version I bought direct from Hungary was meh. In my mind it offers more color than it does anything else.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
I love deviled eggs. They're the perfect food!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
I like the filling of deviled eggs, but can't eat the hardboiled white portion unless it is pulverized with the yolk in egg salad. It dawned on me to make my egg salad with the same ingredients as deviled eggs, and it was delicious.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:23 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
...The only other toppings or mix-ins that have interested me or sounded like they'd taste good are bacon bits... I've tried the bacon bits, but it wasn't as good as I imagined it would be.
Hmmm. Bacon sounds like it would be wonderful on deviled eggs -- maybe a small square slice of real bacon on top, instead of bits?? I'll have to experiment!

I'm usually asked to bring my eggs. Love making them, love eating them! I put some extra things in, and it seems to work. This combo works for me: mayo, spicy mustard, sour cream & onion dip, and finely shredded cheese. I'll top half of them with green olive slices and/or paprika, since not everyone likes those.

My Mom usually added relish and/or pickle juice, but I'm not a fan of either.

Another vote for using week-old eggs to for easy peeling. Buy now for Easter use! I cover the eggs with water, bring to a boil, and let them boil for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
There are lots of things you could do to deviled eggs to change them, or "fancy" them up. And maybe I'd do it, say, for a party. But they're so darned good just plain and simple, it's hard to want to do anything different.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:29 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
The only thing you really need to do to fancy them up if you want to is use homemade mayonnaise. Instead of pickle relish you can use capers. Otherwise you'd really want to keep the flavor classic as possible, I think.

Actually, whatever recipe you use you can make it "party fancy" just by piping the filling with a pastry bag.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:37 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
Forgot to add… instead of using spicy mustard, I'll sometimes use the horseradish/mustard combo -- gives it a kick.

^Yeah, I know, lots of things you can do… but plain old deviled eggs are yummy too!

Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 PM

7,051 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm an old man; I've loved deviled eggs as long as I can remember, and I've added al kinds of things to them. But all those additions just take away from that good egg flavor. Only a few additions work. My last was apple cider vinegar about ten years ago; it imparts a pleasant smokinesss. However, I've switched to fresh mayo lately with very good results. There are easy to follow videos on youtube.

Here's my recipe.

12 hard boiled eggs
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 dashes original Tabasco
1 Tbsp Grey Poupon
salt
mayonnaise (I make my own using La Tourangelle roasted walnut oil [available on amazon])
Spanish smoked paprika

Mash the cooked egg yolks thoroughly, then add vinegar, Tabasco, and mustard. Now mix the first time. Add about 4 Tbsp of mayo and a tsp or so of salt. Mix thoroughly, adding more salt and mayo to taste as you go. Fill the egg whites and sprinkle them well with paprika.

I used to use Best Foods (Hellman's) mayo; however fresh is so much tastier. I just discovered roasted walnut oil a few months ago; it has just about replaced olive oil for me. It's also the best oil for pancakes and waffles.

La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil, 16.9 Ounce Can: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Chiquilin Smoked Paprika Tin 2.64oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
Do you deliver?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
The only thing you really need to do to fancy them up if you want to is use homemade mayonnaise. Instead of pickle relish you can use capers. Otherwise you'd really want to keep the flavor classic as possible, I think.

Actually, whatever recipe you use you can make it "party fancy" just by piping the filling with a pastry bag.
Oooorrrr...you could put the filling in a plastic baggie, snip off a corner and pipe away. Fancy on, bunjee, and you don't have to wash the baggie when you're done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes