Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

On deviled eggs, people seem to like the tried and true. But you can top them with bacon bits, finely minced red or green pepper, paprika, chipotle powder, or finely chopped green olives—or anything else that sounds good to you.

The deviled name comes from using mustard, so don’t stint there. I prefer Gulden’s, myself.

If you have Duke’s mayo in your area, use that for your mayo. Or you can use Lemonaise, which is also quite good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 12:29 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Fresh prepared horseradish added to the yolk mixture.

You can buy it at your local supermarket, I much prefer it to bottled.

How to Make Homemade Prepared Horseradish

Old 06-19-2018, 12:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Dukes, mustard, pinch cayenne pepper, sweet relish, dash of vinegar.

I don't think you can have an exact recipe.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:56 PM

1,371 posts, read 668,082 times
I sometimes mix sour cream and mayo in a 2:1 ratio, add a bit of dijon, a bit of microplaned lemon peel, a little lemon juice, salt, pepper, cayenne and some chopped fresh thyme.

I'll also use the same sour cream/mayo ratio with chopped up bacon, a tiny bit of bacon grease, salt and pepper, and either a little bit of lemon juice or cider vinegar. You can also add some cayenne or sriracha if you want a bit of heat.

Don't really have recipes for either, just fiddle until it tastes right. I also usually do an extra egg or 2 like somebody else mentioned so eggs will be nice and filled and I'll have enough for taste testing purposes.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:57 PM

388 posts, read 474,179 times
I LOVE deviled eggs and make them frequently.

Mayo substitutions - % of stuffing mixture
Creme fraiche 50%
Sour cream 50%
Plain yogurt 50%
Hollandaise sauce 30%
Pesto 30%-50%
Butter, unsalted 20% Use when making large batches.
Will keep filling firmer and eggs cold longer.

Additions - usually minced
Artichoke hearts, marinated
Avocado pieces dipped in lemon juice
Bacon
Canadian bacon
Capers
Caviar / roe
Cornichons / gherkins
Crab
English cucumber sliced or chopped
Ham
Olives, pitted, halved or chopped
Parmesan
Pesto
Prosciutto
Roasted red bell pepper

Combinations
Crab, English cucumber, avocado
Creme fraiche, caviar, lemon
Creme fraiche, chopped olive, & tuna or anchovy
Creme fraiche, salmon lox, lemon juice
Creme fraiche, salmon roe, lemon juice
Creme fraiche, smoked salmon, lemon juice
Pesto & ham (green eggs & ham)
Ham, grainy Dijon mustard

Garnishes
Asparagus tip
Black olive, pitted - whole or half
Caviar
Fresh herbs
Paprika
Red pepper flakes
Salmon roe

Old 07-03-2018, 01:44 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Just watched a Texas couple show Joey Fatone how they make their deviled eggs. To a dozen yolks, they added an entire stick of melted butter, as well as a heaping tablespoon of sugar. Also, a heaping tablespoon of mayo, some shredded onion, black and cayenne pepper.

Has anyone done them this way? It sounded kinda terrifying, but who knows? I've never put butter or sugar in deviled eggs before, and certainly not in these proportions.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:03 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I'm making these right now for the 4th. Everyone seems to like them and they look nice!

Buffalo Ranch Deviled Eggs

https://iowagirleats.com/2015/06/29/...-deviled-eggs/

Old 07-04-2018, 06:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Just watched a Texas couple show Joey Fatone how they make their deviled eggs. To a dozen yolks, they added an entire stick of melted butter, as well as a heaping tablespoon of sugar. Also, a heaping tablespoon of mayo, some shredded onion, black and cayenne pepper.

Has anyone done them this way? It sounded kinda terrifying, but who knows? I've never put butter or sugar in deviled eggs before, and certainly not in these proportions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm making these right now for the 4th. Everyone seems to like them and they look nice!

Buffalo Ranch Deviled Eggs

https://iowagirleats.com/2015/06/29/...-deviled-eggs/
Yuck to both!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

I always add sugar. A heaping tbsp. is not a lot for a dozen eggs.

Cant say about the butter. I really am not getting that as when chilled wont it be all fatty/greasy?

Old 07-09-2018, 08:32 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
The buffalo ranch deviled egg form above will soon be tested in my kitchen as they are in process. The recipe looks like one that I can take a few liberties with to suit my taste buds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes