Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times

Advertisements

oh redbird- now I am homesick for my New Mexico where on the reservation we had Navajo fry bread with a roasted & peeled hatch green chile & fresh-off-the-grill piece of lamb. It's one of the few times I ever eat meat. We can't get that up here in Alaska where the weekend markets have salmon casadillas, smoked salmon or battered halibut instead.

Thanks for sharing that picture. I'll have to get out my Navajo fry bread recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
Aw, Bongo... wish I could express mail you a lil' bit of NM. Chile roasting time was wonderful, with the smell mingling with smoke from the woodstoves......'course now it's back up into the mid 60s during the day, but STILL.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:24 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Default New Mexico blues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Aw, Bongo... wish I could express mail you a lil' bit of NM. Chile roasting time was wonderful, with the smell mingling with smoke from the woodstoves......'course now it's back up into the mid 60s during the day, but STILL.
Thanks RRR! The smell of chiles roasting in the roasters, cedar burning in the woodstoves, & sage crushed under the feet ahhhhhh mmmmm!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
I read this thread some time ago but just wanted to contribute a little even if it is late.

First, Fry Bread is not a health food - for anyone but I still eat it, just not as often as I would like because...it is fried.

Lots of great version on the link above and we use the traditional recipe with beans and onions since my hubby is vegetarian.

I have a recipe for Morrocan fried bread which is sliced bread dipped in egg, fried, drained, and then rolled in sugar and cinnamon while still warm. Also a good quick one.

Italians do fry bread a little differently; after frying on one side of fry bread, turn and sprinkle with cheese and tomato, cover, and fry until the second side is lightly browned. Cooked this way, it is called a fried pizza.

http://www.gq.com/food-travel/recipe...08/fried-pizza

Whatever, it is good food but not to be eaten daily for anyone since more is known about frying food and its health issues.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Fry bread is NOT "diet food". It is major comfort food, and reminds me of being home. For those of us who grew up in the Southwest, it is nostalgic, for summer Powwow's and visiting the Navajo taco stands for a "Navajo Taco". Or even at diners in the southwest you can get fry bread for breakfast, dripping with honey and butter, or dusted with powdered sugar. A special treat...but true fry bread is made with baking powder, not yeast. It has a hard exterior and chewy middle. A real crunch. And bite. Enjoy....and forget about the diet!
Fry Bread I Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes