Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else have a favorite holiday ham recipe?

This is one of my favorites:

Orange and Madeira-Glazed Ham with Raisin Sauce

(7-pound) smoked, fully cooked bone-in ham
– 2 cups water
– 2 (14½-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
– 1 1/2 cups Madeira wine, divided
– 2 bay leaves
– 2/3 cup golden raisins
– 2/3 cup dark raisins
– 1 (6-ounce) can frozen orange-juice concentrate, defrosted
– Whole cloves
– 1 tablespoon arrowroot

1. Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees. Trim any tough rind and fat from upper side of ham, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick layer of fat. Using a sharp knife, score fat in a 1-inch-wide diamond pattern. Place ham in shallow pan. Pour 2 cups water into pan, cover with aluminum foil and bake 1½ hours.

2. Combine broth, 1/2 cup Madeira and bay leaves, and bring to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add raisins. Cool.

3. Combine remaining 1 cup Madeira and orange-juice concentrate in medium bowl. After 1½ hours, remove ham from oven and pour off liquid. Insert clove into center of each scored diamond. Pour 1/4 of orange mixture over ham and continue baking, uncovered, 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. Pour whatever is left of the orange mixture over the ham during the last 10 minutes.

4. Remove the ham to a cutting board. Place the pan with its liquid on top of the stove. Dissolve the arrowroot in ¼ cup of the raisin sauce and add the remaining raisin sauce to the pan. Bring to a boil, add the dissolved arrowroot and cook until lightly thickened.

5. Carve the ham and serve the sauce on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
Love raisin sauce w/ham. Maybe next ham, I'll fix some. DH doesn't like it, but he doesn't have to eat it, does he?

Hop over to the Food and Drink forum, check out the what's for dinner thread and you'll find all kinds of ham recipes. It just cropped up yesterday and today. Enjoy!

Old 09-14-2008, 03:17 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
My favorite ham recipe starts with the right ham. Only a Dearborn Brand ham from the Dearborn Sausage Co. will do.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Love raisin sauce w/ham. Maybe next ham, I'll fix some. DH doesn't like it, but he doesn't have to eat it, does he?

Hop over to the Food and Drink forum, check out the what's for dinner thread and you'll find all kinds of ham recipes. It just cropped up yesterday and today. Enjoy!
Reading through all of those suggestions and recipes for ham is what gave me the idea for this topic.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
My favorite ham recipe starts with the right ham. Only a Dearborn Brand ham from the Dearborn Sausage Co. will do.
I can't think of any local, or even regional hams here anymore...wish there was, as they were always much better than the mass produced hams...

Old 09-16-2008, 12:10 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
The glaze I like use contains Brown Sugar, whiskey of choice, and ginger. I coat the ham in mustard

in sauce pan add whiskey, ginger and brown sugar... heat to burn off alcohol and combine ingreadants.

I coat the ham with mustard and then brush on the brown surgar glaze and throw it all back in the over for another half hour or so. The heat is about 350... Too hot or too long and it burns up.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
The glaze I like use contains Brown Sugar, whiskey of choice, and ginger. I coat the ham in mustard

in sauce pan add whiskey, ginger and brown sugar... heat to burn off alcohol and combine ingreadants.

I coat the ham with mustard and then brush on the brown surgar glaze and throw it all back in the over for another half hour or so. The heat is about 350... Too hot or too long and it burns up.
That sounds delicious!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:38 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
LOL...that reminds me of a joke recipe:

Pour 8oz. whiskey into glass. Remove 2 TBLSP for ham, drink down remaining whiskey...

Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
LOL...that reminds me of a joke recipe:

Pour 8oz. whiskey into glass. Remove 2 TBLSP for ham, drink down remaining whiskey...
Yeah I usually pour two glasses. One for me and one for the pig.

My wife sometimes wonders which one is which.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:00 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post

Hmmm...This does sound good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes