Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Flour, sugar, apples, lots of cinnamon. The formula I have no clue about. I just remember how good it was. I'm sure back in the day there was some Crisco in the mix too. Just had a brain thought. My FIL is married to one of the old school days cooks. (4th wife. Widower 3 times previously). I just be she made some of it at times. I don't dare call this time of night but tomorrow I'll drop in on them and find out just what I can. Hows that for a plan.
Sounds like a man with a plan.

Let us know if you uncover any long lost recipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 06:14 PM

187 posts, read 613,793 times
I remember the first year I had to go have Thanksgiving lunch with my little girl, my mom said "oh lucky you! Enjoy your turkey erasures!!" ??? I forgot what they were, Turkey cubes with gravy over Mashed potatoes. Oh ya I said to her as she sat across from me at the lunch. Brittany got to bring both her parents but Dad had to work. Ha ha Grandma!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
There are some school foods I actually miss and others, well, we all know the stereotype about school food.

The school I went to served a really good basic pizza. This was before the nearly complete junkification of school food, to coin a word, so it was probably less greasy.

I know it sounds like junk food too, but they also had some sausage in a red ketchupy sauce that was excellent. I would like to replicate that sauce. It was really the best part.

They also had 'substantial' entrees like Salisbury steak, fish on Fridays, mystery meat in gravy, etc.

When i went to school back in the pleiostene era (okay, maybe not that far back) the lunch ladies actually cooked much of the food. Now I understand they mostly warm up pre-packaged foods.

Good God, when they cooked goulash, watch out. The whole school stunk. Our hair and clothes probably smelled of industrial strength goulash by the time we got home. BUT it tasted okay actually. Served with a big slice of garlic Texas toast. The memories are coming back.

School food is a little like pulling off a scab before time. It hurts so good. Not gourmet, barely chow hound, but oh the memories of the dishes that got through the cooking process well enough to be palatable, to even build positive memories. And woefully, the stuff like the awful chili a kid accidently dropped on my shoes one day in kindergarten. The unrecognizable vegetables. The quivering gelatin desserts. Oh I wish it were the 70s again, especially if I could know then what I know now about life, the universe, and school food.
I was struck today with a craving for the chicken and dumplings they made at the school I went to and so thought, didn't we have a thread about that recently? Well six months ago, anyway.

I realize in retrospect the chicken and dumplings were probably "homemade." Wish I had a big starchy dish of that delicious thickened broth, stringy chicken and gooshy dumplings right now. So good!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow
there are some recipes from school days that I would love to have.
So would I!!!!!!

THE HAMBURGERS THEY MADE WERE ABSOLUTLEY DELICIOUS!!!!!! (I put catchup all over them,mmmmmmmmmmmm)

The rectangle pizza WAS OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my middle school THE CABBAGE SALAD was better than anything I had ever had!!!!!! (I still remember what it all tastes like and wouldnt mind having more!!!!!!!)

MOST PPL HATED SCHOOL FOOD,I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2013, 01:56 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I miss the "charlie's pizza" (that's what they called it) and grilled cheese.

I actually was able to recreate the grilled cheese. You make toast. Slap some american cheese between the toasted bread. Slather butter liberally on both sides. (make sure the bread is cooled before doing this) Put it in the microwave for at least 90 seconds. (this was for my microwave, might be more or less for you)

Then let cool. You get a "butter" crispy bread with gooey melty cheese just like how they used to do it at my school. I am sure they probably made theirs in the oven but this was how I did it.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:00 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I remember some meals that I really liked.....swiss steak with mashed potatoes; a "roll up"....a baked biscuit crust rolled up jelly roll style with meat filling with a ladle of gravy over it; porcupines....sorta like little salsbury steaks with rice mixed in the grd meat so it popped out and made them look vaguely like porcupines; I don't think we ever had pizza. I do remember chicken ala king, and beef pot pie cooked in long cafeteria pans and served by the lunch room ladies with a big spoon.

When I was in elementary school we had an hour for lunch and walked home......in those olden days most mom's stayed home and were there to feed us lunch. Kids are lucky to have 20 mins for lunch now and there's no telling when it is scheduled...it could be as early as 10 am I think.

Last edited by elston; 10-12-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 07:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Anyone have a recipe for those incredible, gooey, sweet peanut butter balls that used to be served with school lunch?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
In southcentral texas it was mexican food wednesdays. The cafetria workers used to cook from scratch back then.

Cheese enchiladas, spanish rice, beans, cornbread, salad, and chocolate cake.

In Highschool is was those premade plastic wrapped hamburgers, chips, and a coke. I was hooked on those awful things.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
Our small town school cafeteria had the absolutely best food in the world.

The chicken and noodles were fantastic and the goulash was yummy. They always served super good chili with peanut butter and honey sandwiches and these days, when I eat chili I always want a peanut butter and honey sandwich.l

In today's world the cafeterias are under strict government regulations relative to nutrition so no wonder the food tastes blah and unpalatable.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
There is absolutely nothing from any of my school cafeteria experiences that I would care to relive.
I'm with you. We weren't allowed to bring in our own food without a doctor's note and I was forced to eat PBJ almost daily -- the hot lunch was frightening even to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes