Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:18 PM

92 posts, read 476,449 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know an exceptionally good receipe for chili? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 03:43 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Crockpot Chili Recipe
1 16 oz can kidney beans -- drained, ( personally, I dont do the beans)
2 14 1/2 oz can tomatoes
2 pounds ground chuck -- coarsely ground
2 medium onions -- coarsely chopped
1 green pepper -- coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste

Put all ingredients in crock pot in order listed. Stir once. Cover and cook on Low 10-12 hours. (High 5-6 hours).

NOTES : Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,830 times
My mon used to make Frijoles Charros, it wasnt a chlli but it was good. it had beef franks, bacon, ham, white beans, and tomato sauce. now I'm drooling

Old 10-07-2008, 07:09 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
Hmmmm. I don't have a recipe but I've made it so many times I think I can get the measurements close. I have the ingredients on hand to make our first pot of chili for fall!

2 lb's ground chuck, browned, drained
1 onion diced
2-3 stalks celery finely chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic chopped
Cook the above vegetables in about 1 Tb oil until tender
1 large can fire roasted diced tomatoes (if you can't find them just diced will do) undrained
1 C brewed coffee (if you have some left from breakfast, adds a depth of flavor)
1 small can tomato paste
1 large can chili hot beans
1 - 2 Tb molasses or sorghum
1 - 2 cups water (depending on the consistency you like)
3 - 4 Tb chili powder
2 Tb cumin
2 tsp oregano
several dashes of Frank's Red Hot sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
1 - 2 tsp crushed hot pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
Cook over low heat for several hours. This is a dish that is best after being cooked, refrigerated and re-heated. We like to serve it over some sort of pasta and topped with shredded cheddar cheese.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:38 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1 View Post
Does anyone have an exceptionally good receipe for chili? Thanks.
I play with this one a bit but it is by far my favorite. You have to plan ahead though. It truly is better on Day 2.

Chili I - Allrecipes

Old 10-09-2008, 06:08 PM

823 posts, read 1,731,937 times
I was told on my recent trip to Wyoming that I had to try Rachel Ray's recipe off of her website.
Rachael Ray's Official Website :: Ragin' Cajun Chili
It is a cajun chili that is supposed to be to die for. I plan on making it when I get home though there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm in my house for the idea.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 PM

Thanks so much. I am willing to give it a try.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
This is Rick Bayless' recipe. He is considered the best chef in the NATION of Mexican cuisine. "Google" him and you'll see all of the awards he's won for his cooking. He has been cooking Mexican food exclusively for years and spend 3 months a year in Mexico with his staff, every year. His recipe is below:

The World's Greatest Chili

Recipe from Rick & Lanie's Excellent Kitchen Adventures

Serve 4 to 6

This is classic chili – more or less Tex-Mex style. If you make it with the whole ancho chile pods (sometimes called pasilla chile pods on the West Coast), use coarse-ground meat (the classic “chili grind” in the Southwest), brown it well, and add fresh-ground spices; it’ll be one of the best chilis you’ve tasted.

The difference between chili and chile? Chili is the dish; chile is the pod. Why not use regular chili powder? Because it usually contains dried spices (including salt and sugar), which you may not like. If chili powder’s all you’ve got, use 4 tablespoons, leave out the cumin, and go easy on the salt. Chile pods and pure ground chile are available in all Mexican grocery stores.

INGREDIENTS
4 large (about 2 ounces) ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into large pieces
OR 3 tablespoons pure ground ancho, New Mexico or California chile
2 tablespoons bacon drippings, vegetable oil or olive oil
1 ½ pounds ground beef, ground pork or a mixture of the two
1 medium onion, cut into ¼-inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt
2 tablespoons masa harina (the flour used to make corn tortillas) or corn meal
One 15-ounce can pinto beans
About 1 cup grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, for serving
3 green onions, cut crosswise into ¼-inch pieces, for serving
DIRECTIONS
Toast and soak chiles. Heat large deep skillet or a large heavy pot (like a 6- to 9-quart Dutch oven) over medium. When hot, toast chiles one by one: open flat and press down with spatula until chile releases aroma and toasts lightly—10 to 15 seconds. Flip and toast other side same amount of time. Transfer to a small bowl. When all are done, cover with hot tap water and lay a plate on top to keep the chiles submerged.

Brown meat and onion. Raise heat under pan to medium-high. Add bacon drippings or oil, then add the meat and onion. Break up meat with spoon or spatula as it cooks and browns—total cooking time about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. If there is lots of rendered fat, tip it off and discard.

Make seasoning. Drain chiles, discarding water. Place in food processor fitted with steel blade. Add garlic, tomatoes with their juices and cumin. Secure lid and process until smooth. Set medium-mesh strainer over meat pot. Pour in chile mixture and press through.

Simmer chile. Return pan to medium-high heat. Stir 5 minutes to cook chile mixture. Stir in 2 cups water and 1½ teaspoons salt. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 45 minutes.

Finish and serve. Sprinkle corn meal or masa harina over chili and stir. Stir in drained beans if using. Simmer 5 minutes. Taste and season with more salt if you think necessary. Ladle chili into bowls. Scoop cheese and green onion into small serving bowls. Pass separately for guests to add as much as they want.

ABOUT RICK RESTAURANTS TELEVISION COOKBOOKS PRODUCTS FOUNDATION NEWS CONTACT SHOPPING SITE MAP HOME
Rick Bayless & Frontera News: Gourmet Mexican Cooking - Rick Bayless | Frontera SITE DESIGN BY CARRMICHAEL WEB DEVELOPMENT BY IMAGINARY LAN

Old 10-11-2008, 08:16 AM

Thank you so much. I will be in the kitchen for awhile.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:35 AM

49 posts, read 238,839 times
I was watching Alton on the food network late the other night and he did a show on western style chili with no beans and no ground beef.. instead he used, beef, lamb and etc.. Anyway, it looked really great, here is a link to the recipie he did... Pressure Cooker Chili Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes