Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:49 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times

Advertisements

I always wish everyone would post recipe reviews of online recipes they've tried. So I know if I'd like to try it.

Anyway, I made this tonight and WOW! It was SOOO good and extremely easy. My super picky 9 and 6 year olds came back for about 8 cloves of garlic. It get so soft and nutty/sweet tasting when it's roasted.

For the love of cooking: Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

I served it with rice. I was too tired to make veggies, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
I love 40 Clove Chicken the basic way-never would have thought to put a cream type sauce on it tho. May have to try that.

The version I make is a good old standby: brown chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper. (Works best if you brown stovetop in whatever pan you will roast in because the drippings stay in the pan.) Peel and smash (use flat side of a knife blade) 40 cloves of garlic (give or take a dozen lol if you really like garlic). Sprinkle garlic over chicken. Halve a lemon (or 2 or 6 depending on your tastes); squeeze juice over chicken. Throw lemon halves in the pan. Drizzle with about a cup white wine. Throw in a handful of fresh thyme sprigs over top. (I have been meaning to try it with basil-what goes better with garlic than basil lol!) Cover, bake and 90 minutes later-YUMMY!

I like serving it with this, comfort food at its finest:

Tomato Dumplings

1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 bay leaf
1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with liquid -- cut up
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Dumplings:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cold butter
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
2/3 cup milk

In a medium skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add bay leaf, tomatoes, brown sugar, basil, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, for dumplings, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter. Add parsley and milk; stir just until mixed. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto bubbling tomato mixture; cover tightly and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into dumplings comes out clean. Remove and discard bay leaf.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:04 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I always wish everyone would post recipe reviews of online recipes they've tried. So I know if I'd like to try it.

Anyway, I made this tonight and WOW! It was SOOO good and extremely easy. My super picky 9 and 6 year olds came back for about 8 cloves of garlic. It get so soft and nutty/sweet tasting when it's roasted.

That's one of those recipes that every time I see it I tell myself that I am going to have to try it. I've seen Ina cook it on FN, and I check out the above blog about once a week, so I've seen hers also. Now I will try it for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

One recipe that I use all the time is Paula Deen's Barbeque Meat Loaf. I go exactly by the recipe, not changing a thing (which is highly unusual for me ). We love it.

Barbeque Meatloaf Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
I am going to have to try this!!!

I love garlic. H doesn't like to smell like it, so always tells me that I use too much (while I'm practicing amazing self-restraint in not using as much as i would like!).

Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
Penny, what veggies do you serve with it?

Lola, my husband was really not feeling it, but when even the little ones started in on it, he finally tasted the garlic. It's so sweet and nutty b/c it's roasted; there's no bitter taste.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
[quote=NicoleJ;8337466]Penny, what veggies do you serve with it?[quote]

Our favorite veggie--mac and cheese

Old 04-14-2009, 12:22 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I made this for easter:

Ham in Cola Recipe : Nigella Lawson : Food Network

I used Dr. Pepper instead of Coke. I think the glaze could've been better, so I'll probably use a different one next time, but I will be cooking all future hams in Dr. Pepper/Coke for sure. So tender and delicious, all the way through, with a mild cherry flavor.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
That's one of those recipes that every time I see it I tell myself that I am going to have to try it. I've seen Ina cook it on FN, and I check out the above blog about once a week, so I've seen hers also. Now I will try it for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

One recipe that I use all the time is Paula Deen's Barbeque Meat Loaf. I go exactly by the recipe, not changing a thing (which is highly unusual for me ). We love it.

Barbeque Meatloaf Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network
I'm trying this tonight. Will let you know how it turns out.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:52 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post

I wish they would post reviews too.

I joined several different online recipe places and I finely broke down and joined that group recipes. I don't like it because they review it without having tried it. I DO love it because you can create menus. I really dig that. I can just go in and create my own (long in advance) for really busy weeks.

That said, I like that recipe and am going to have to try it.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
There are a lot of recipes with reviews on recipezaar.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes