Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 PM

305 posts, read 1,729,079 times

Advertisements

When using a recipe that calls for small bits of bacon, say in a salad or a baked potato, do you fry the bacon first then chop it, or do you cut it up first and cook it in the smaller size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
I generally cook it crispy and then crumble. I have diced and cooked. Either way will work. Thicker cuts of bacon may work better by dicing before cooking. I normally only use thin sliced for my uses.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
I generally cut first, then fry. I find that cooking long strips of bacon makes it difficult to get them evenly crisp the entire length; there's always a couple of ends that sort of wrap up the side of the pan, and they stay mushy while everything else is cooked crispy-good. I also think it's easier to stir them around in bits.

At the same time, though, we generally do buy the thick-cut bacon, and as Noma correctly points out, thin-cut bacon does behave differently.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:55 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,347 times
I generally dice first; I am usually in a hurry as the crew is already sitting around the table and I don't have time to wait for the bacon to cool so I can crumble it.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up chopping it first which I think I prefer but it was more difficult to get it all out of the pan.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleBebe View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up chopping it first which I think I prefer but it was more difficult to get it all out of the pan.
Try scraping it all into a coarse strainer and letting the grease drain that way into a bowl. I save most of the grease for the dogs and squirrels in the winter, it's cheaper than feeding peanut butter to wildlife, and they love it. It's easy and fast, and if you want the bacon bits cooler, empty the strainer onto a paper towel to blot up more of the grease. Any little dark bits will stick to the paper.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Try scraping it all into a coarse strainer and letting the grease drain that way into a bowl. I save most of the grease for the dogs and squirrels in the winter, it's cheaper than feeding peanut butter to wildlife, and they love it. It's easy and fast, and if you want the bacon bits cooler, empty the strainer onto a paper towel to blot up more of the grease. Any little dark bits will stick to the paper.
That's brilliant! I will definitely try that next time, thanks!

Old 11-08-2008, 06:55 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,181,790 times
I buy 3 lbs. of thick cut bacon from the butcher at a time then I bring it home lay it in single layers on cookie sheets to freeze. Separate layers with parchment paper so it doesn't stick together. Once frozen I put it in gallon zippie freezer bags then I take out what I need at a time. I load up my baking sheet and bake it in the oven around 300°. No turning, no splattering and save the grease in my crock in the fridge.

If I need to chop it for a recipe it is easy to do since it is frozen.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Keep a package of bacon in the freeaer, too. When you need bacon pieces, just get it out and cut some off cross-wise as thin as you want them. (bacon cuts easy when frozen). They will separate in the pan, and already be cut up.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:06 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I buy 3 lbs. of thick cut bacon from the butcher at a time then I bring it home lay it in single layers on cookie sheets to freeze. Separate layers with parchment paper so it doesn't stick together. Once frozen I put it in gallon zippie freezer bags then I take out what I need at a time. I load up my baking sheet and bake it in the oven around 300°. No turning, no splattering and save the grease in my crock in the fridge.

If I need to chop it for a recipe it is easy to do since it is frozen.
I bake mine too but I dont freeze it. I agree baking is the way to go. I hate the mess it makes when you cook it on the stove.

Basicly I make my own precooked bacon. When I bake it I under cook it just a tad. Then I lay 4-5 strips on a paper towel and stack them. These will keep in ziplocs in the frig for quite a while. . When I want some bacon I nuke some in the microwave for a min. Just like the precooked stuff only better.

Oops. I forgot. I crumble it after I nuke it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes