U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 04:19 PM

3,160 posts, read 1,968,185 times

Advertisements

It is my favorite dressing Maggie. I always keep the ingredients in the house in case I run out of the bottle in the 'fridge.

As Dirt Grinder mentioned to me, some people are sensitive to the taste of Chinese 5 spice, so you may want to taste the spice first to see if you like it (of course, if you haven't already tried it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 04:22 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,925,437 times
I am not a fan of five spice, but I might add just at titch. I have some in the spice cabinet.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM

4,614 posts, read 5,334,971 times
Thanks. TerraDown, it does sounds delicious! Only thing is I don't like using food processors, too noisy (had them in the past). On the other hand, I know it would be far not as delicious if I use ginger and garlic powders (unless I have the time to cut them) and coarsly cut cilantro.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:54 PM

6,628 posts, read 3,814,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I like fresh ground ginger, soy sauce, and rice vinegar in my dressing.
I like rice vinegar too. As for adding the catsup or bbq sauce: they can "take over" if you're not careful, so a little at a time and taste it!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:39 PM

32,315 posts, read 59,640,914 times
Olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,281,210 times
I have two dressings.

1. Tahini dressing
This is a more-or-less per serving recipe, you can adjust proportionately.
2 scooped tablespoons tahini paste that's had the oil thoroughly mixed into it (there's no way to really measure it accurately, just scoop the stuff out with a tablespoon).
add 1 clove FRESH garlic, minced
Squeeze a lemon wedge or add a couple teaspoons non-reconstituted lemon juice
Thin it to whatever consistency you prefer with cold tap water. I like mine just a tiny bit thinner than pancake batter.

When you mix the water in, it'll first thicken into this weird marshmallow fluff consistency, and then it'll emulsify and thin out again.

2) Balsamic vinaigrette

A dollop of balsamic vinegar (if it's thin enough to splash out, then it's not the real deal. What you're looking for is syrupy in consistency)
Four splashes of regular olive oil (EVOO is pretentious. Common olive oil is delicious.)
A clove of garlic, minced
A healthy pinch of dried oregano, smushed well between your fingers (that brings out the flavor)
A dash of salt
A few twists from a black peppermill

Mix it all together well and dump over your salad.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:00 PM

5,709 posts, read 4,132,877 times
1 large avocado, 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1 teaspoon hot sauce, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, 3/4 teaspoon salt.(BTW, I often add a mashed hard boiled egg YOLK into this dressing) and add the white to the salad.

Very tasty and creamy, as long as you don't mind the greenish colour from the avocado.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:12 PM

11,012 posts, read 17,501,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Please share your delicious salad dressing secret .

I guess olive oil (or other oils) and vingenar are in 99% of the dressing. Garlic in most, too.

Anything special that makes a difference in a very tasty dressing? Also, if I put oil and vingenar, it's often too watery.

Thanks.
Try adding 1-3 tsp of your favorite mustard and some honey or sugar. It will help emulsify your vinaigrette.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:28 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,545,426 times
Mine is very simple. About a 1:4 ratio of red wine vinegar to oil, 5 garlic cloves smashed up, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Shake it all up and it's lovely. Lasts in the fridge for about a month. I think I end up with about a cup of salad dressing, not sure.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:02 PM

4,614 posts, read 5,334,971 times
Thank you everyone for sharing so many ideas. It does sound as if the dressing could be made of anything one likes, no limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
(BTW, I often add a mashed hard boiled egg YOLK into this dressing) and add the white to the salad.
That's a great way to use the yolk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes