Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:34 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times

Advertisements

I created this dressing a couple of days ago and it is so good, I thought I should share:

1 + 1/2 tablespoons of nayonaise (eggless mayonnaise)
Juice of 1/2 of a lime
Sea Salt (I think I used about 1/5 teaspoon) to taste
1/2 teaspoon Brown organic mustard
Mix until creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.

Combine with rinsed, ripped/torn romaine lettuce and enjoy.

I'm not good w/ measurements, but I think it is somewhat accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I created this dressing a couple of days ago and it is so good, I thought I should share:

1 + 1/2 tablespoons of nayonaise (eggless mayonnaise)
Juice of 1/2 of a lime
Sea Salt (I think I used about 1/5 teaspoon) to taste
1/2 teaspoon Brown organic mustard
Mix until creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.

Combine with rinsed, ripped/torn romaine lettuce and enjoy.

I'm not good w/ measurements, but I think it is somewhat accurate.
sounds good and we love homemade dressing. I rarely buy bottled dressing. I do keep 1 bottle of ranch in the fridge and used a coupon not long ago for GreenGodess, but that will last a year or more.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:11 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,823 times
why do you use Nayo instead of Mayo. Do you taste the difference?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Default Quick and tasty salad dressing.

I came up with this ressing that has some bite, tastes good, and is very fast to prepare. Proportions are suggestions so don't be afraid to add more of one thing or another. I used Lawry's Seasoned Salt for this and consider it crucial. I know some people don't like prepared seasoning mixtures. I'm generally in agreement with this but sometimes the preparation is what works.

5 parts sour cream
2 parts mayo
very good sprinkle of Lawry's Seasoned salt
few drops of Tabasco
fair amount of fresh ground black pepper
small amount of milk to adjust thickness to taste

I always use the best ingredients available and never use low fat versions because they almost always harm the taste. I've made this dressing twice now. The first time I added grated Parmesan; it didn't taste as good. I plan to try this on sandwiches and on scrambled eggs or on top of an omlette as well. With these I'll leave out all the milk or almost all of it.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
sounds like a good base but I would definitely add some fresh herbs like dill or oregano or tyme. To me fresh herbs are what gives a dressing real flavor. But I'd like to try your way first to see how i like it.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 AM

633 posts, read 1,735,306 times
Sour cream and mayo sounds like a lot of fat for a healthy salad :-), it`s like ordering a diet coke with my big mac at mac donalds :-) a good healty salad dressing isn`t a lot of work, i never buy ready to eat salad dressings. I use walnut oil, white wine vinegar, a little bit of mustard, chopped onions, a little salt, a little sugar and salad herbs ( dried). that`s it. 5 Minutes work.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default you want quick and easy...

here you go... all to taste and desired consistency...

Mayo / vinegar (any kind you like) / sugar

This is pretty simple and it only takes a few minutes to get it 'just right'.

If you want it a bit sweeter...more sugar
If you want a bit more 'zing'...more vinegar

Koale

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Easiest, tastiest "dressing:" Diced avocado.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I came up with this ressing that has some bite, tastes good, and is very fast to prepare. Proportions are suggestions so don't be afraid to add more of one thing or another. I used Lawry's Seasoned Salt for this and consider it crucial. I know some people don't like prepared seasoning mixtures. I'm generally in agreement with this but sometimes the preparation is what works.

5 parts sour cream
2 parts mayo
very good sprinkle of Lawry's Seasoned salt
few drops of Tabasco
fair amount of fresh ground black pepper
small amount of milk to adjust thickness to taste

I always use the best ingredients available and never use low fat versions because they almost always harm the taste. I've made this dressing twice now. The first time I added grated Parmesan; it didn't taste as good. I plan to try this on sandwiches and on scrambled eggs or on top of an omlette as well. With these I'll leave out all the milk or almost all of it.
sounds great, I agree with the low fat ingredients: there are some things low fat works ok with, but sour cream, mayo, things like that the consistancy and flavor are affected. I am a firm believer, if you have a weight problem and many of us do, me included, the best way to change your weight is by controlling the size of the portions...

Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
Sour cream and mayo sounds like a lot of fat for a healthy salad :-), it`s like ordering a diet coke with my big mac at mac donalds :-) a good healty salad dressing isn`t a lot of work, i never buy ready to eat salad dressings. I use walnut oil, white wine vinegar, a little bit of mustard, chopped onions, a little salt, a little sugar and salad herbs ( dried). that`s it. 5 Minutes work.
I would be more inclined to forget the sugar, this is the problem with so many foods today, if you check ingredients, you find fat has been replaced with sugar. My feeling, on the dressing part, it isn't the only dressing you are going to eat, you will not be doing it daily and you only need a tbsp or so on a salad, thus you are not getting that much fat or calories. I no not, as a rule buy bottled dressing either, but I won't say never. I do keep one or two in the fridge for those who visit and only like a certain kind. Our grandson in law will only eat ranch. I keep that for him.. The idea of a vinegar/oil dressing is healthy, but it is a creamy one like the one posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes