U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:17 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,764,540 times

Advertisements

A little honey in it might be good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,289,398 times
I've been transitioning away from 'creamy' or mayo based salad dressings.

Extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar (sometimes Balsamic vinegar) are fine with me. Just earlier today I made a salad dressing of extra-virgin olive oil (the "Sicilian" one from Trader Joe's), red wine vinegar, a tiny pinch of chopped garlic, a dash of freshly ground black pepper, a little parmesan cheese, and a dash of "Italian seasoning." It was great. Not too complicated.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,337,726 times
If you like a really tangy/garlic dressing, mix either balsamic vinegar or rice wine vinegar (ensure it is the sweetened or your have to add sugar) with oil, water and a couple finely minced garlic cloves, shake well and use immediately! YUMMY

Old 01-07-2015, 07:11 PM

567 posts, read 631,584 times
Default What's Your Favorite Salad Dressing Recipe?

Homemade salad dressings can be too vinegary, too strong tasting, or just plain bland. Since we eat a big salad almost every night, I've been experimenting to find just the right blend of ingredients. Here's our latest favorite - would love to here from other people who've found just the right 'house' dressing:

I bulb of roasted garlic (drizzled with olive oil, roasted in foil for about 30 min at 400 degrees)
3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Place the garlic bulbs in a small food processor/chopper and blend with the parmesan cheese, mustard, salt and pepper. Then add the vinegar followed by the the olive oil, and process all of the ingredients for a minute or until well combined. The end product will be a little grainy, so simply pour the dressing into a small bowl and stir in 1-2 tablespoons of water. This will cream up all of the ingredients and take away any remaining lumps. The dressing keeps well in the refrigerator.

BTW, I adapted this from The Food Network site.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:26 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,186,017 times
Chilly Dilly
2 cups sour cream
1 tablespoon dried chives
1 tablespoon dried dill
1/4 cup white vinegar*
Small sweet onion, finely chopped
Medium cucumber, finely chopped (peeled or unpeeled, seeded or de-seeded, all your choice)
Salt and pepper to taste
* Can be white balsamic, champagne or white wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar. Don't use a dark vinegar, it'll tint the dressing.

Whisk together sour cream, chives, dill, and vinegar.
Stir in onion and cucumber. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill for a couple hours.

This was originally a recipe for "Serve it on everything from grilled meats to baked potatoes, or serve it as a dip for cut-up vegetables."
I like it on green salads

Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,861,757 times
I kind of think salty, sweet, tangy and neutral.

So for an Asian theme, soy, sweet rice syrup, rice vinegar and a neutral oil. I then add a touch of five spice and tiny drizzle of sesame. Chopped garlic or ginger or scallions.

For greek, I use red wine vinegar, feta, honey, olive oil and greek herb blend mix I have.

For southwestern inspired. Apple cider vinegar, Chipotle powder, olive oil and oregano. A touch of water with chopped hot pepper, garlic and red onion.

Lemony Cesar inspired dressing. In a blender, juice of a lemon, garlic clove, couple of anchovy filets, 1/4 cup of egg white, lots of fresh cracked pepper, 1/4 cup of grated locatelli. Blend on low, while blending, drizzle in olive oil to desired consistency. Often 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup.

It's fun experimenting.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:16 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,530,248 times
I like my dressings on the tangier side. I also never follow the classic ratio of oil/acid. I do 50/50.

A few tricks:
use orange juice in a dressing! it is a good way to add sweet, and it is delicious. I like to use balsamic, flavored olive oil, orange juice and a shallot with salt and pepper.

I also like orange juice, lemon juice, honey, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil for "asian flair"

Mustard is an emulsifier for the oil and keeps your dressing together. I do a tablespoon of dijon or whole grain mustard, any vinegar or lemon juice, a bit of honey and equal parts oil/vinegar. With salt and pepper as needed.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:21 PM

43,403 posts, read 52,393,689 times
Olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 PM

32,308 posts, read 59,585,988 times
Olive oil and lemon juice. Anything else overwhelms the flavors of the vegetables in the salad.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:08 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,861,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Olive oil and lemon juice. Anything else overwhelms the flavors of the vegetables in the salad.
In my case, with the exception of spinach, I don't like the taste of the greens I use. But I don't want to load it with croutons, nuts, seeds etc. I ensure the dressings I make is flavorful enough so it can be used sparingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes