Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:15 PM

689 posts, read 973,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I start with pinch of Chipotle and do it by taste. It adds a warm smoky flavor but can overpower easily. I've also used a bit of the Adobe sauce from the canned chipotle too.
Thanks momtothree. Great suggestions. I would think the adobo sauce alone might be an interesting addition, as well.

BTW, you may already know this, the leftover chiles and adobo sauce freeze very well. I hate wasting and always have tons leftover. I freeze the chiles on a small tray, then place them in a plastic bag. This way I can use them as needed. I also freeze the sauce in a container and chip small amounts for future recipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 12:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Homemade salad dressings can be too vinegary, too strong tasting, or just plain bland. Since we eat a big salad almost every night, I've been experimenting to find just the right blend of ingredients. Here's our latest favorite - would love to here from other people who've found just the right 'house' dressing:

I bulb of roasted garlic (drizzled with olive oil, roasted in foil for about 30 min at 400 degrees)
3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Place the garlic bulbs in a small food processor/chopper and blend with the parmesan cheese, mustard, salt and pepper. Then add the vinegar followed by the the olive oil, and process all of the ingredients for a minute or until well combined. The end product will be a little grainy, so simply pour the dressing into a small bowl and stir in 1-2 tablespoons of water. This will cream up all of the ingredients and take away any remaining lumps. The dressing keeps well in the refrigerator.

BTW, I adapted this from The Food Network site.
I did this one last night - DH and I both love it.`

Old 01-10-2015, 12:51 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
I don't use a recipe. I dress the salad at the table with oil, vinegar, and a little salt and pepper.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I did this one last night - DH and I both love it.`
So glad you liked it!

Old 01-10-2015, 11:21 AM

460 posts, read 1,004,578 times
Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and the juice of one orange.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:44 PM

94 posts, read 160,350 times
I am going to make egg salad tonight after a busy day at work and work-out at gym I think egg salad is best idea for me. For this recipe I need
6 eggs,
1 stalk of celery,
3/4 cup of mayonnaise.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:36 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
I always buy salad dressing. I know I can make my own, but for the cost of premium ingredients, I can buy a super premium salad dressing (up to $9.99 per bottle) and break even, without having to do the work.
Are you calculating the cost of the amounts of ingredients only used or the total cost to purchase the entire lot of ingredients?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:14 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
I always buy salad dressing. I know I can make my own, but for the cost of premium ingredients, I can buy a super premium salad dressing (up to $9.99 per bottle) and break even, without having to do the work.
For me it isn't price, it's flavor. Most dressings are way too sweet or bland.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Been on a homemade blue cheese dressing kick lately

equal parts sour cream and buttermilk (I always add vinegar to milk)
half part mayo
S&P
maybe dash of worchestershire
maybe 1T grated onion
1-4 grated garlic or roasted garlic depending on taste
2 oz good quality blue cheese

I mix this all up on my mini food processor to incorporate the bluecheese into the dressing as much as possible
then I add 2 oz or more of blue cheese crumbles either to the dressing (makes it thick) or to the salad
Let this stand in fridge as long as possible-at least 2-3 hours to let flavors meld. makes a big difference

serve this over greens ( we prefer romaine lettuce) with ripe pear or cut up apples, mandarin oranges, glazed walnuts, craisins....to die for

Old 01-17-2015, 10:20 AM

This sounds rich, but super good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes