U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:45 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,598,929 times

Advertisements

I have never pounded the steak before I browned it - I find that using round steak and then the long and slow cooking makes it fork tender without going through that extra step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,154,221 times
I grew up with swiss steak with a mushroom gravy - husband and children prefer it with a brown gravy. I'm not a fan of the tomato sauce one.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:27 PM

3,924 posts, read 10,292,874 times
OK, here's the difference. I make chicken fried steak (or country fried...but that's another conversation - lol) with gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits about once every other month or two. The tomatoes are why I picked these two Swiss Steak Recipes because I think this is what my husband asked for. I'm a little surprised that none of the recipes call for mushrooms, though. I went to the grocery and bought a big fat round steak and I'm hoping to put this together for tomorrow night's dinner. I bought curly noodles, too...chef's choice... ha-ha! My husband said the starch didn't matter to him that his grandmother always served it with instant potatoes. I guess these are just all variations on a similar dish.

CFoulke, thank you for the recipe. It looks delicious!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 AM

71,711 posts, read 83,289,352 times
I haven't made it in maybe 30 years, but this gives me an idea. We did grow up having Swiss Steak about once a month. The type of round steak makes no difference. When I was a kid there was no such thing as top round or bottom round, the butcher sold it as round steak period. As for pounding it: we did not. We just cooked the heck out of it. Mom used to use her electric skillet and cook it for a good part of the day, we always had brown gravy with it.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:43 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,363,604 times
I make swiss steak quite a bit, but I add a bit of garlic powder to the flour/salt/pepper mixture. I have never had to pound the steak either, and it melts in your mouth. No tomatoes, no mushrooms.

I dip the pieces of round steak in egg, then the flour mixture, then brown it all nicely (both sides) in hot oil in frying pan.
Place all browned meat in 12x9 baking dish. Then I add water with 2 beef broth cubes and a huge onion (sliced into rings) to the browned bits in the pan and bring to boil, add some of the flour mixture to thicken it up a bit. Pour it over the meat mixture and cover with foil and bake at 250 for at least 2.5-3hrs. Served with mashed potatoes and corn, and some sort of bread to dip in the gravy

Easy peasy, enjoy!!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:09 PM

18,434 posts, read 29,400,880 times
O.M.G! My parents made this for me all the time when I was a child..... thinking of this sure takes me back.... I think I'll be making it this week!!!

Where are you dutch oven, old friend of mine????

Old 09-21-2018, 05:40 AM

71,711 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Default Swiss Steak

How many of you remember, as a kid, having Swiss steak for dinner and do you even fix it now? I don't think I have had it in maybe 50 years but have decided to have it tomorrow for dinner. I guess I will have to find a recipe cause I can't even remember for sure what mom put in it. I do remember she used round steak. What do the rest of you have to say about making it?

Old 09-21-2018, 05:46 AM

37,739 posts, read 55,407,000 times
I think the few I had here in the US were made of ground meat.
Almost like a hamburger meat, but seasoned (maybe similar to meatloaf?) and hand shaped - not a flat patty.
Perhaps that's the southern way.

Traditionally, Swiss steak is a braised beef made with thick pieces of beef round, although you can also use chuck shoulder steak. The main thing is to use a tough cut of meat, as a couple of hours slow braising will tenderize it very nicely.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:53 AM

6,624 posts, read 3,810,250 times
I think you have the butcher put it through the tenderizer or pound it yourself with a special hammer with ridges. My mom lightly floured the pieces, browned them, and then cooked in gravy until tender. You can also cook it in a tomato & onion type sauce, but I liked the gravy best.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:15 AM

1,197 posts, read 292,385 times
We still have it on occasion. We use a 7-bone chuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or