U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:37 AM

497 posts, read 269,202 times

Advertisements

Yes. My mom used round steak(I think). Slow roasted or in the crock pot with home canned tomatoes and onion. It was good, but I have not had it since I left home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 11:14 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,519,393 times
My mom used to make it. I still do occasionally.

Flour and brown the meat and place in slow cooker. I use a quart of home frozen or canned tomatoes, some sliced onion and sliced carrots. No seasonings other than salt and pepper the "down home" way.

Everyone here likes it and it's an economical meal.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,149,416 times
I would think that googling Swiss Steak would give you hundreds of recipes to choose from.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:06 PM

71,669 posts, read 83,230,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
My mother always used round steak because it was inexpensive to use for a large family. Years ago I made it about once a month. I've stopped making it. I think it's because the type of round steak I used is hard to find now and no longer the "bargain" meat it once was.

I never tenderized it. I cooked it at a lower oven temperature for a couple of hours. I used canned, diced tomatoes, diced green peppers, and diced onions. If I had it available I tossed a packet of onion soup mix in there also. Probably why I don't make it except once or twice a year--the sodium!
Is any steak or any meat a bargain anymore, except maybe pork and chicken? OF course with the weather damage done this past week or so, those 2 may no longer be bargain protean.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:08 PM

71,669 posts, read 83,230,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yep my mother did the tomatoe and onion type gravy and it was good and she would also fix mashed potatoes and collard greens with it and that was usually super on sunday night after church . my dad preferred the brown gravy type but would eat the tomatoe and onion version too . Yes I still make it because my husband likes the tomatoe and onion gravy type too .
Sounds like a good way to make it. I am giving it a try tomorrow and spoiled brat is pretty excited about it.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:21 PM

485 posts, read 95,852 times
Guess what went on our menu list for the next week.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:33 PM

11,138 posts, read 20,301,881 times
I used to make it. A cheap round steak, pounded with the spiky side of the meat tenderizer, then floured. Put the steak in a rectangle baking dish, cut potatoes and carrots to fit around it. Pour a can of onion soup over, and bake. I can't remember the cooking time or temp since it's been about 20 years since I made it.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:41 PM

4,656 posts, read 2,510,726 times
My Mom used to serve Swiss steak and I recall also having it at casual restaurants in my youth; however, it was never one of my favorites and I have never made it myself.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:06 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,029,966 times
Saute green pepper, onion, garlic and seasoning, remove from pan.
Lightly flour cube steaks with seasoned flour.
Sear cube steaks on medium-high heat in a little oil, remove from pan.
Mix some tomato paste, beef broth and a big can of crushed tomatoes (with the juice) together.
Add steaks and veggies back to pan.
Pour tomato and broth mixture on top.
Bring to an almost boil, cover, turn down to a simmer, cook until steaks are fork-tender (depends on thickness, maybe 45 mins-1 hr). You could do it in the oven instead, also.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,029,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Is any steak or any meat a bargain anymore, except maybe pork and chicken? OF course with the weather damage done this past week or so, those 2 may no longer be bargain protean.
The only way I find good deals on steak is if I find a manager's markdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or