U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 01:50 PM

49 posts, read 166,768 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I've had the pea & carrot salad mostly at buffets and it has a mayo dressing instead of a vinagrette...can somebody give me this recipe? It seems simple but I'm not sure if I need to use frozen peas and thaw them a bit..any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 03:58 PM

849 posts, read 1,740,473 times
I don't have a recipe for pea and carrot salad, but I make a pea salad with celery, bacon and cashew. I usually just run some water over frozen peas and then drain them well. You do not have to cook frozen peas. You want to keep them a bit crunchy.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:06 PM

Nikkzone,
Do you use mayonnaise with that recipe? Also do you chop the cashews or use them whole? Sounds yummy!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:58 PM

849 posts, read 1,740,473 times
Here is the recipe. This is really good salad and so easy.
  • 8 slices bacon
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed and drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup chopped cashews
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine peas, celery, scallions,sour cream and mayo. Toss gently to mix.
  3. Just before serving, stir in cashews and bacon into salad. Season with salt and pepper.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:00 AM

I will definately try this recipe! Thanks alot!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:21 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,776,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulabarbie View Post
I will definately try this recipe! Thanks alot!
I like 7 Layer Salad with frozen green peas and there is mayonaise involved.
Sour cream too if you like.
Seven Layer Salad Recipe - 7-Layer Salad Recipe or 24 Hour Salad

Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 PM

714 posts, read 2,023,566 times
Like most of my concoctions, I don't follow a recipe, but I make something similar at home.

I just thaw some peas, add some shredded carrot, add a minced shallot, some bacon bits, and some mayo and sour cream (in equal amounts) until what's in the bowl looks good!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:04 AM

424 posts, read 1,506,800 times
Default Here are a couple more

I like pea salad. The versions with which I am familiar DO use a mayonnaise base. I really don't use a recipe either, typically, but just toss thawed frozen peas with mayonnaise and/or sour cream, onion, cheese (shreds or little cubes), and maybe a little celery. I'll thin the mayonnaise a bit with some vinegar or water if necessary, but the moisture from the ingredients will tend to do that anyway. Salt and pepper to season if about the only other thing needed. Some folks add a small amount of sugar to the dressing.

Here are two recipes, one using frozen the other canned peas. I have also done sort of a hybrid between the two, using frozen peas in the recipe calling for cheese rather than canned peas. If the mood strikes I adjust the Worcestershire sauce...sometimes eliminating it in favor of another condiment. I hope these help give you a guideline on the nature of the dressing component at the very least.

Salads and Salad Dressings 032 (Bean Salads 32 - Green Pea Salad 02 - Crunchy English Pea Salad)

1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 cup thinly sliced celery
cup sliced green onions
cup mayonnaise
cup sour cream
teaspoon seasoned salt, optional
In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and seasoned salt if desired; mix well. Add to pea mixture; toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve.

Yields 8 servings

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Salads and Salad Dressings 033 (Bean Salads 33 - Green Pea Salad 03 - English Pea Salad with Cheese)

2 cans small English (Early June) peas
1 cup mild Cheddar cheese
1 onion
cup bacon bits
1 cup celery
1 cup bell pepper
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
tbsp. salt
tbsp. pepper
1 cup celery

Drain English peas; cut cheese in small squares. Dice onion. Add bacon bits; cut celery in small pieces. Cut bell pepper in small pieces. Add Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Mix together and refrigerate.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,056 times
Don't you have to cook frozen peas? Also, can you do this with peas and carrots, or would that throw off the flavor?

-----------------------------------------------
I've seen "Easy Chicken Everywhere!" (have you?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes