U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,621,240 times

Advertisements

I'm from jacksonville FL and in Alabama I can't find anywhere that's even heard of a Camel Rider. Does anyone know a good recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 03:55 PM

13,035 posts, read 21,118,985 times
"a REAL Camel rider is ham and salami and cheese with lettuce, tomatoe, onion, hot peppers, homemade italian dressing, mayo and mustard"

I would post the location I found it but it was on another forum and I believe we cannot link to other forums here. It was on a website called roadfood.com.

I had never heard fo a camel rider before so I googled it myself. Does the description sounds like what you were looking for?

Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,747,819 times
OH, gosh, I thought you wrote "Caramel Rider"! LOL

Old 11-18-2008, 06:20 AM

Yes, except for the tomato & the hot peppers... although I might actually like that better, thanks!

Old 01-18-2015, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 10,442 times
Momma Goldberg's Deli in Midtown Atlanta GA ( 27 12th Street ) offers a version of the Camel Rider which includes pan roasted turkey breast, salami, ham and american cheese served in pita bread.

And Speakeasy in Midtown Columbus GA ( 3123 Mercury Drive ) has a Camel Rider using ham, salami, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard, mayonnaise and homemade Italian dressing in a warm pita.

But the traditional Camel Rider sandwiches here in Jacksonville FL are very simple and unassuming. Although it seems as though each sandwich shop in town offers a slight variation of the original classic, in my opinion the best of the Camel Rider sandwiches start by making a pocket from half of a warm fresh pita, coating the insides with a layer of mayonnaise (to create a fat barrier so the dressing applied later doesn't soak into the bread and make it soggy), adding slices of ham, salami, and bologna (yes... bologna, which is sometimes hard to find in a high-end deli), followed by american cheese, chopped iceberg lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced mild pickled peppers, and a homemade vinegar and oil Italian dressing. Served with fresh, hot french fries and a cherry limeade, this simple yet delicious lunch is hard to beat.

If you are in Jacksonville, I would suggest you try The Sandwich House located at 5141 Beach Blvd. ( at the corner of Beach Blvd. and Art Museum Dr.). I have found none better.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 10,442 times
Nabeel's Cafe at 1700 Oxmoor Road, Homewood, AL (near Birmingham) offers a Camel Rider sandwich made of roast beef, bologna, salami, provolone, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, mustard and pickles served in a pita pocket.

And Sammy's Sandwich Shop near the Birmingham Airport also has Camel Rider sandwiches on the menu, but they are made with either chicken salad or seasoned ground beef rather than cold cuts. (In Jacksonville those sandwiches might be referred to as "Chicken Rider" or a "Ground Beef Rider" or maybe even as "Chicken-In-A-Sack" or "Beef-In-A-Sack", as the menu terms "Rider" or "In-A-Sack" are both loosely understood to mean "served in a pita", but the term "Camel Rider" is reserved exclusively for the cold cut version of a pita sandwich.)

Old 01-19-2015, 11:23 AM

This is funny coming up so much later! Thank you, I am going to try the recipe you posted. I grew up in Jax and I always went to The Sheik on Atlantic Blvd across from the Regency Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes