Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:27 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
The leftovers the next day are my favorite. In fact my mom's stuffing tastes great cold or romm temperature.
My mom used to make the best stuffing. I'm glad she taught me how to do it, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I remember as a child my dad getting the darn biggest turkey he could fine, they were huge. Then we would have to eat that turkey day after day until it was gone. By the time we finished it I did not want to have turkey for a long time.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
try frying some leftover cut up turkey, add some gravy and place over toast.....

Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
try frying some leftover cut up turkey, add some gravy and place over toast.....
Yum that sounds amazing. I may have to try.

I don't really eat much of the turkey at all, so I don't deal w/ the leftovers on that (but the above suggestion sounds so good I may try that) but DD and DF will eat them for days and days after in sandwiches, soups, etc. I do love the other sides as leftovers. I love to make fried potato croquettes and shepherds pie with the mashed potato leftovers. I also love using the leftover ham in fried rices, brunch dishes and sandwiches with gray poupon on king's hawaiian rolls.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,721 times
The leftover turkey list: Sandwiches, turkey and noodle casserole, turkey soup, turkey tacos (got this one from our neighbors--tried the tacos this summer and they were very good-made the same way with the same ingredients as beef or fish tacos).

Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 AM

44,354 posts, read 20,059,784 times
One of my favorite things about having Thanksgiving at my house is that I end up with the turkey carcass. The day after, I make a big pot of turkey soup.

The rest of the leftovers - after I give everyone some to take home - I usually just reheat on a plate. If there's a lot of meat left, I may make turkey tetrazzini. Yum yum!

There are lots of good ideas on this thread. I may try a couple of them this weekend.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-19-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I love stuffing. But I stopped putting it in the bird. I bake it in muffin tins and call it "Stuffin' Muffins", a la Rachael Ray. Most of the portions get eaten right away, so it's good to make extra and freeze the leftovers. You can pull out one or two whenever you have a poultry dish - even in the middle of Summer!

As for the rest of the Thanksgiving leftovers, we always ate them. Never any restriction on what you could eat when you raided the fridge.
I have tried the dressing prepared outside of Ms or Mr Turkey, I just don't think it picks up the flavor as well.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I'm really enjoying reading everyone's posts! It's nice to see a wide range of reactions to Thanksgiving leftovers. Everything from, "They get tossed," to gourmet comfort foods!

I'm getting some really great ideas. Personally, I'll be alone this Thanksgiving. I don't have any family and my friends are all going out of town. The places I usually volunteer at are overwhelmed with help already. I don't mind spending the day alone, though! I'll have a blast making my 13.44 pound turkey and all the sides whittled down to mini portions. Except the mashed potatoes and gravy... my favorite!

I'll be referring to this thread often, so I hope folks will keep the ideas coming! I'll have enough turkey to try almost everything once! (I've received PM's from others who are grateful for this thread, too, so ya'll are helping folks out!)

REQUEST: I love making homemade stock! I was just wondering... those of you who WILL be making turkey stock, how do you make yours? Do you roast the bones again? What veggies, herbs, spices, extras do you add while it simmers? I've been in a huge cooking mood lately and have the urge to try new recipes lately.
I simply put the bones, etc in a stock pan or whatever you use; add carrots, celery, onions, garlic, whatever is available; the more veggies, the more flavor and don't forget the spices. spices.. I cook it until the meat just falls off the bone, of most is already off. Then I strain it and freeze in one cup or 11/2 cup servings. And I do not remove all the fat either. If a little gets into the stock it makes it taste so good. No, not a lot, but a little.Some people use cheese cloth, I just use a good strainer.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,601 times
This is lame...I know...but after Thanksgiving I am often so sick of being in the kitchen that I have been known to buy "Chicken Helper" and use turkey in place of the chicken. That with a green salad and rolls makes a nice little supper.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Oh wow I just made sweet potatoe soup and it is awesome and tastes great .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes