U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,910,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Bump...it's almost that time of year again

I am getting very excited about Holiday baking since I will be home this year

I have a list of things I want to make....and it is way too many, lol.

My list
Dark Chocolate Crinkles
Chocolate Chips
Oatmeal Cranberry White Chip
Mexican Wedding
Eggnog Cookies
Snickerdoodles
Whoopie Pie...I have been testing recipes to find the best one
Thin Mints
Chocolate Dipped Shortbread

Mounds Bars
Buckeyes
Rum Balls
Truffles
PB cups
Chocolate Covered Cherries
Chocolate covered pretzels
Bark
Peanut ckusters
fudge
Pecan Pie Bars

See my problem, lol? Way too many.

So what are you planning to bake/make and what are your favorite Holiday sweet recipes?

I'm eating at your house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,112,026 times
When I was very small, probably three or four years old, my mother had an annual Christmas tradition of making gingerbread houses. She got the recipe from her sister, and every year, she'd start in late November and make a whole village-full of houses, which she'd decorate and then deliver to neighbors, friends, teachers and so on.

I always wanted to try my hand at that, but never had the time. I switched jobs last November, and for the first time ever in my life, I have a 40-hour/week job instead of the 60+ hours I've always worked. So last year, I dug out Mom's old recipe, all yellowed and with the creases starting to crack, traced the pattern pieces onto some parchment paper, and mixed up a batch of dough.

Gingerbread Houses

Dough

1 c. shortening or butter
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. molasses
6 c. flour, divided
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 c. boiling water

Cream the shortening with the sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in the molasses.

In a second bowl, combine 2 cups of flour with the baking powder, baking soda and spices. Gradually add it to the above mixture, blending in well.

Add the boiling water and stir in, then gradually add the final 4 cups of flour. The dough will be very stiff, and if your mixer does not have a dough hook, you may need to finish stirring by hand.

Cover dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. Then roll out on a floured surface to 1/8” thick and cut the pattern pieces out. Each building has six pieces: two five-sided ends, two walls with windows, and two solid roof pieces. Cut the doors and windows out of the walls AFTER you move them to the baking sheet, so they won’t distort when you transfer them.

Bake at 375 until golden, about 10 minutes.

Cement to glue houses together

1 c. sugar
1/4 c. white corn syrup
Pinch cream of tartar
2 Tbsp. water

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Move quickly to assemble the houses, and be careful – the glue is hot!

This is not a project to be lightly undertaken - it'll take most of one afternoon to mix, cut and bake the pieces, most of a second afternoon to build the houses, and most of a third afternoon to decorate them. But it's grand fun to see a village all lined up when you're through.

I took some photos of the process last year. This first one is the stack of gingerbread pieces awaiting assembly:

The assembly step is the one I found the hardest. It was a huge pain in the neck to get those pieces to adhere, and you have to move fast before the glue cools and hardens.

We had one FEMA-style disaster cottage...

But some survived long enough to get decorated:

Lots of fun, and my small niece and nephew had a great time decorating them. I may start baking/assembling in about mid-November this year so they can each decorate a house on Thanksgiving day while they're waiting for the turkey to come out of the oven.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 09-27-2012 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 AM

18,586 posts, read 23,136,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I never have my recipes here at work when I read this page - lol!

This is what I do though:
Make oreo balls - no one will care about the other cookies - lol
Make one or 2 fancier new recipes I find.
Then a batch of snickerdoodles (simple recipe found anywhere on the web, and it is usually a big batch recipe)
And a batch of choco chip or oatmeal choco chip cookies.

That is a nice variety of favorites and new cookies.

Have fun!!! It wouldn't be the holidays without the cookie baking frenzy!
I make Rum balls out of Oreos. Everyone loves them!

Old 11-30-2016, 03:59 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,687,782 times
Default Christmas cookie recipes

Christmas cookies Recipes from Baltmore Sun's cookie recipe contest- anyone else have some Christmas cookie recipes they would like to share-

Winning recipes from the Baltimore Sun's 2016 holiday cookie contest - Baltimore Sun

Old 12-01-2016, 04:40 AM

24,777 posts, read 23,729,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I make Rum balls out of Oreos. Everyone loves them!
I used to make them from vanilla wafer cookies and cocoa powder.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:43 AM

I made two batches of butter cookie dough the other day--plain/vanilla and lemon. I'm not sure when I'm going to bake them.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:48 AM

71,711 posts, read 83,303,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I made two batches of butter cookie dough the other day--plain/vanilla and lemon. I'm not sure when I'm going to bake them.
I am just starting to think "Christmas cookies" Our family is going to be smaller this year as 5 of them will be visiting in Colo. so I doubt I will do much, but it would not be Christmas without a few batches. I am looking for a recipe that uses pamagranites or how ever you spell it? Anyone have one.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am just starting to think "Christmas cookies" Our family is going to be smaller this year as 5 of them will be visiting in Colo. so I doubt I will do much, but it would not be Christmas without a few batches. I am looking for a recipe that uses pamagranites or how ever you spell it? Anyone have one.
I've never made cookies with pomegranate seeds. It never occurred to me. I'm going to have to try that. I was poking around and saw a recipe for chocolate cookies with chips and pomegranate seeds. I like chocolate with orange and raspberry, so I think I'll like that.

For me, It's not just about cookies at Christmas, but home made baked goods during the holiday season and the cold months. I made blueberry muffins the other day, so I'll bake one of the batches of butter cookies on Saturday. After that, it'll be the chocolate cookies. I haven't made cranberry orange quick bread for a few years.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:25 AM

71,711 posts, read 83,303,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've never made cookies with pomegranate seeds. It never occurred to me. I'm going to have to try that. I was poking around and saw a recipe for chocolate cookies with chips and pomegranate seeds. I like chocolate with orange and raspberry, so I think I'll like that.

For me, It's not just about cookies at Christmas, but home made baked goods during the holiday season and the cold months. I made blueberry muffins the other day, so I'll bake one of the batches of butter cookies on Saturday. After that, it'll be the chocolate cookies. I haven't made cranberry orange quick bread for a few years.
think I will try and find one similar to what you found. We do not usually have pomegranates but they were on sale for .59 at Aldis a few weeks ago; brought back childhood memories. I have used them in salad only but thought cookies might be good.

I went through my cookie recipes yesterday: think I will keep it down to the one using pomegranates, maybe a choc rum ball recipe and thumbprint cookies. The more i make, the more spoiled brat will eat.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
think I will try and find one similar to what you found. We do not usually have pomegranates but they were on sale for .59 at Aldis a few weeks ago; brought back childhood memories. I have used them in salad only but thought cookies might be good.

I went through my cookie recipes yesterday: think I will keep it down to the one using pomegranates, maybe a choc rum ball recipe and thumbprint cookies. The more i make, the more spoiled brat will eat.
bought them

I haven't made the chocolate rum balls in a while. Fifty nine cents at Aldi? That's insane! I'd have bough them. Mom and I would sit at the kitchen table and eat pomegranate in December. Dad didn't have that much time, and the older siblings were too busy to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or