Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:02 PM

126,139 posts, read 18,883,317 times

Advertisements

Scandinavian snowflake balls

I make them around the Christmas season.

You will need...
3 1/2 cups oats ( quick or steel oats as you desire)
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup Cocoa powder
10 tbsp. soft butter
1/2 cup real strong cold coffee
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (give or take for rolling)

* chill dough for about an hour,depends how sticky it is and than form little balls and roll them in coconut flakes*

Mix oats, sugar, cocoa together in a bowl, add butter and I use my hands to mix the ingredients together to make a thick paste. Add coffee, vanilla and mix until nice and smooth.
Have coconut flakes on a tray. Form little round shaped balls from the dough and roll them individually in the coconut flakes. The Scandinavian Snowflake balls are ready to eat or put in a plastic container sealed in the fridge if you like them more solid and cool to serve. I am able to keep mine in the fridge for 2 weeks,so long they are in an airtight plastic container.

Delicious !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 05:08 PM

126,139 posts, read 18,883,317 times
My Florentiners !

50 g butter
1/8 l whipping cream

bring to a boil in a pot

Add: 100 g shaved almonds
50 g Orangat(or fine shaved orange peel from 1 orange)
50 g Zitronat(or fine shaved lemon peel from 1 lemon)
125 g sugar
1 package of Vanilla sugar or 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
knife tip of cinnamon
65 g flour
melted chocolate for decoration ( I use Belgium chocolate)
Under constant stirring,let boil shortly and reduce heat til batter is thick. Be careful not to let it burn,keep non stop stirring,it does not take long to get thick. Remove right away from heat and make desired sized piles with a tsp.on cookie sheets.Flatten piles a bit and leave enough space between them,for they spread.Decorate the top with an almond slice or Orangat/Zitronat.Bake at preheated oven at 350 F until golden yellow/brown,about 15 to 17 min.,it really depends on your oven. Keep an eye on them. This batch makes around 24 cookies,for I make the piles bite size small. Less filling and they look cute.
When Florentiners are done,cool them on a plate,rack, whatever you have. Than use a knife to spread melted dark chocolate on the back of the cookies and make streaks with a folk as decoration.

Delicious !

Old 11-29-2017, 07:07 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,305,267 times
Baltimore's best holiday cookie recipes for 2017

Baltimore's best holiday cookie recipes for 2017 - Carroll County Times

Old 11-29-2017, 09:24 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,371,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Thank you for this! I'm curious about the ginger wasabi pea cookie but hubby says he doesn't think so. I think I'll try the Scrummy Spheres.

Also, the source is making me homesick.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:26 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,290,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Scandinavian snowflake balls

I make them around the Christmas season.

You will need...
3 1/2 cups oats ( quick or steel oats as you desire)
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup Cocoa powder
10 tbsp. soft butter
1/2 cup real strong cold coffee
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (give or take for rolling)

* chill dough for about an hour,depends how sticky it is and than form little balls and roll them in coconut flakes*

Mix oats, sugar, cocoa together in a bowl, add butter and I use my hands to mix the ingredients together to make a thick paste. Add coffee, vanilla and mix until nice and smooth.
Have coconut flakes on a tray. Form little round shaped balls from the dough and roll them individually in the coconut flakes. The Scandinavian Snowflake balls are ready to eat or put in a plastic container sealed in the fridge if you like them more solid and cool to serve. I am able to keep mine in the fridge for 2 weeks,so long they are in an airtight plastic container.

Delicious !
Those look delicious

Old 12-01-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Hope it's not too early to bump this thread - we sat together with my daughter this afternoon to make a list of the cookies we will bake for Christmas. I inherited several trays for mini muffins (and other small treats) so we found some recipes for different kinds of tassies.

Got to thinking we would like to try something new this year - we found an adorable 'melted snow man' cookie on bhg's website which she was very enthused about.

Anyone want to share some of their cookie ideas for this Christmas?

It's never too early to bump a cookie/treat thread

For small muffin tins I like to make Jaxson's Pecan Pie Muffins.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...e-muffins.html

You can also make mini brownies and make individual buckeye brownies. Yum...bite size.
Mike and Lisa's World: Buckeye Brownies

I always make these Mounds Bars(I am going to experiment next time and make the coconut mixture into an ball or oval and bake them dip them in dark chocolate. Without the graham cracker crumb it should be like a real mounds bar
Mound Bars Recipe - Allrecipes.com

And Peppermint Patties...also really good:

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon Peppermint extract
1 tablespoon Crisco(optional)

12 oz chocolate of your choice for melting(bark, chips, or melts)

Mix 1 cup powdered sugar with corn syrup, water, peppermint extract, and the Crisco(I used it in one batch and not the other…both were good). Add the remaining powdered sugar a little at a time until you have a fairly stiff dough. You may have to use your hands to get it all mixed together.

Make a 1/2"-1" balls from the dough and place on waxed paper. Flatten with fingers into small discs. Cover and freeze for about 4 hours. The colder it is the easier it is to dip in the chocolate.

Melt the chocolate in the microwave stirring until it is creamy. Drop a disc into the melted chocolate and flip with a fork. Lift with a fork, let drain a bit and place on waxed paper. Do this with the remainder of the mints. You may have to do this in small batches. If the mints got too soft put them back in the freezer.

Once they are coated with chocolate place them back in the freezer until the chocolate hardens. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. You can store them in the refrigerator or the freezer.

I also make treats for neighborhood pets.
Healthy Peanut Butter Dog Treats

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup skim milk
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 Tbl. baking powder

Mix together. It will be a stiff dough. Knead a few times and roll out to about 1/4" thick. Put on cookie sheet and bake on 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

They can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer if not eaten within a few days.

This year I will also make treats for horses....all of my new neighbors have horses.

No-Bake Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies

1 cup rolled oats
¼ cup water
1 to 2 tbsp. molasses
5 peppermints
Mix the oats and water until the oats are damp.
Add molasses by the tablespoon until the mixture is sticky.
Roll into balls and press peppermint in the middle of each cookie.
Put in refrigerator (uncovered) to harden.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:15 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,430,432 times
I found this in my latest issue of Martha Stewart - if I were up and about, I'd make these in a heartbeat.

Don't remember what she called them, and that issue is in the bathroom - it will take forever for me to get there with the walker, and besides, I remember it, it's so easy. So here you go.

"ALMOST ROSETTES" (my name for 'em.)

Buy a package of won ton wrappers. (You don't have to do the whole package - just what YOU want. You can store the leftover won ton wrappers.) Fold each into a triangle, fold again into a smaller triangle.

Cut different sized/shaped pieces of the edges like you would do if you were making a snowflake (once unfolded, they need to be in one piece - otherwise you've cut off too much edge.) They you can get pretty creative as you want - no two will be the same.

Fry in a frying pan in neutral oil (like Safflower) until golden.

Remove, put on paper towel or parchment to soak up any grease. Shake powdered sugar all over the tops.

Store in airtight container with parchment or waxed paper when completely cool or they could get soggy. Or eat 'em. It IS Christmas, right?

Old 12-01-2017, 07:00 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,294,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
It's never too early to bump a cookie/treat thread

For small muffin tins I like to make Jaxson's Pecan Pie Muffins.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...e-muffins.html

You can also make mini brownies and make individual buckeye brownies. Yum...bite size.
Mike and Lisa's World: Buckeye Brownies

I always make these Mounds Bars(I am going to experiment next time and make the coconut mixture into an ball or oval and bake them dip them in dark chocolate. Without the graham cracker crumb it should be like a real mounds bar
Mound Bars Recipe - Allrecipes.com

And Peppermint Patties...also really good:

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon Peppermint extract
1 tablespoon Crisco(optional)

12 oz chocolate of your choice for melting(bark, chips, or melts)

Mix 1 cup powdered sugar with corn syrup, water, peppermint extract, and the Crisco(I used it in one batch and not the other…both were good). Add the remaining powdered sugar a little at a time until you have a fairly stiff dough. You may have to use your hands to get it all mixed together.

Make a 1/2"-1" balls from the dough and place on waxed paper. Flatten with fingers into small discs. Cover and freeze for about 4 hours. The colder it is the easier it is to dip in the chocolate.

Melt the chocolate in the microwave stirring until it is creamy. Drop a disc into the melted chocolate and flip with a fork. Lift with a fork, let drain a bit and place on waxed paper. Do this with the remainder of the mints. You may have to do this in small batches. If the mints got too soft put them back in the freezer.

Once they are coated with chocolate place them back in the freezer until the chocolate hardens. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. You can store them in the refrigerator or the freezer.

I also make treats for neighborhood pets.
Healthy Peanut Butter Dog Treats

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup skim milk
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 Tbl. baking powder

Mix together. It will be a stiff dough. Knead a few times and roll out to about 1/4" thick. Put on cookie sheet and bake on 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

They can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer if not eaten within a few days.

This year I will also make treats for horses....all of my new neighbors have horses.

No-Bake Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies

1 cup rolled oats
¼ cup water
1 to 2 tbsp. molasses
5 peppermints
Mix the oats and water until the oats are damp.
Add molasses by the tablespoon until the mixture is sticky.
Roll into balls and press peppermint in the middle of each cookie.
Put in refrigerator (uncovered) to harden.
Wow these look great! Especially the peppermint patties - they look professionally made. Is the recipe you posted at all similar to the ones commercially available by York brand? My daughter loves those, I know she'd get a kick out of making our own.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Wow these look great! Especially the peppermint patties - they look professionally made. Is the recipe you posted at all similar to the ones commercially available by York brand? My daughter loves those, I know she'd get a kick out of making our own.
They are really good and easy to make. Yes they are like York Peppermint patties but better depending on the chocolate you use. You can make the mints thin or thick but the mint part must be very cold or they will start to melt when you dip them. I make the balls, squashed them flat, and dropped them into the melted chocolate. Use 2 forks to flip. Then lift out with fork shaking off excess chocolate. Place on waxed paper and put them in freezer. You get the hang of it after a few times

This is how I made them..I vary the chocolate.
Mike and Lisa's World: Peppermint Patties

They do need to be kept cold. They melt easily but they taste fantastic

Tell me how they turn out

Old 12-01-2017, 07:26 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,294,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
They are really good and easy to make. Yes they are like York Peppermint patties but better depending on the chocolate you use. You can make the mints thin or thick but the mint part must be very cold or they will start to melt when you dip them. I make the balls, squashed them flat, and dropped them into the melted chocolate. Use 2 forks to flip. Then lift out with fork shaking off excess chocolate. Place on waxed paper and put them in freezer. You get the hang of it after a few times

This is how I made them..I vary the chocolate.
Mike and Lisa's World: Peppermint Patties

They do need to be kept cold. They melt easily but they taste fantastic

Tell me how they turn out
Ok, I'm sold

We will be doing these the week before Christmas, with some GOOD chocolate, like Valrhona good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes