Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 05:18 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times

Advertisements

There's tons of recipes online, I'm going to use this one:

Dolmas Recipe

Dolmas are soooo good. I usually order them when I visit a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern restaurant. Typically you'll get 4-5 dolmas for around $5 - I'm going to make a batch of 40 or so and bring them to work to share. Ingredients cost: roughly $7. I bought a jar of grape leaves for $4.79, and aside from the pine nuts, I already have everything else.

Any tips from anyone who's made these before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Is that another name for dolmados? (sp?) - never heard it called Dolmas. Good luck making them (I LOVE good ones).

Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
I love Dolmas.... order them often at a local Greek place.... I am interested in how they turn out and the difficulty level..... let us know how it works out for you....

Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times
Use fresh lemon juice instead of a reconstituted product. I sometimes make them with collard greens instead of grape leaves; they're in season now, you just boil them in salt/vinegar water for 10 minutes or so. You've got to cut out some of the thicker ribs, but I think it's a nice twist on the theme.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:51 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times
arsbadmojo, that's a great idea - especially since I'm growing a bunch of different leafy greens in my garden right now. I've delayed making the dolmas because the recipe I found called for pine nuts and when I went to the store to get some they were so expensive I said "forget it". Going to find another recipe without pine nuts.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 PM

616 posts, read 1,162,436 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
There's tons of recipes online, I'm going to use this one:

Dolmas Recipe

Dolmas are soooo good. I usually order them when I visit a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern restaurant. Typically you'll get 4-5 dolmas for around $5 - I'm going to make a batch of 40 or so and bring them to work to share. Ingredients cost: roughly $7. I bought a jar of grape leaves for $4.79, and aside from the pine nuts, I already have everything else.

Any tips from anyone who's made these before?
I have been craving them today dog gone it! Just saw this thread. I have made these several times. The key ingredient is a bath bake in chicken stock and don't forget the vinegar if you don't have lemon on hand. Some people just put italian dressing in their dolmas, but there are so many variations on this theme you should feel free to improvise! BTW, have any leftovers?

Old 12-31-2008, 05:28 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
arsbadmojo, that's a great idea - especially since I'm growing a bunch of different leafy greens in my garden right now. I've delayed making the dolmas because the recipe I found called for pine nuts and when I went to the store to get some they were so expensive I said "forget it". Going to find another recipe without pine nuts.
They are not as bad if you get them at a wholesale club.

You can freeze them, and they are GREAT in pesto.

I have come to love stuffed grape leaves. I have never made them, but I've seen my SIL make them.

The recipe sounds similar to hers, though I know she adds fresh dill as well.

You would not believe the gadget she has to make these things.

you can see it on this website:

http://cafefernando.com/stuffed-vine...dolma-machine/

from the comments section (on 'chowhound'), regarding how to get one:
"Belal on May 28th, 2008
I kept looking for that machine on the net and I gave up , then I called a Mediterranean Arabic Syrian store and they have it , I just bought one today its great the name of the store is Al Nouri in Paterson , New Jersey , their phone number is 1-973 -279 2388 and I am sure they will ship it, the cost was $30 ."
Dolmades/ Stuffed Grape Leaves Help! - Home Cooking - Chowhound

I am going to look into this myself, because I would love to have an easy and quick way to make grape leaves. Yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes