Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,316,148 times

Advertisements

Well, due to the overwhelming response to Oreo Balls, I thought I would post a new recipe that I found this year. So far, the response has been very positive. They are not quite as rich as Oreo Balls and you can even make it your own! The one downer, is that it takes time - there is cooling and chilling time so it is a much longer process - but basically just as simple

1 18oz pkg cake mix (anything that floats your boat)
1 can of compatible icing - but we only use half
1 16oz pkg of CHOCOLATE bark (just like the white in oreo balls)

That's it - (I love these simple recipes)

Bake the cake according to the pkg directions for the 9x13 pan. Cool.
Crumble cake into a large bowl - until it looks like dirt - no big chunks.
Mix in 1/3 to 1/2 of the can of frosting. Mixture will still be very crumbly. You do not want a 'wet' mix. Now chill this - at least 4 hours or overnight (or for 3 days which is what I did).
Form into balls. Do not get frustrated here. This mixture is hard to 'roll', so I squished it together in my hands until it is was a tight clump, then formed it into a lopsided ball and put them on waxed paper lined baking sheets. Perfect....
Now put the balls into the fridge and chill again. I chilled mine for about 20 minutes.
Melt chocolate in a double boiler (if you don't have one, melt according to pkg directions). Take out 1 tray of cake balls and dip - keep the other tray chilled until needed. Return dipped balls to fridge to harden chocolate -15 min or so.

I used every drop of the melted chocolate - it seems to make a thicker coating on the ball.

Now here is the cool part - you can make all kinds of combinations. I used German Chocolate cake mix and the coconut frosting. Strawberry cake mix and cream cheese frosting with chocolate coating will be my next batch. Yum! Let me know what you think!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,479,244 times
Very cool! I'll be trying this too!

Old 12-18-2008, 04:49 PM

269 posts, read 910,937 times
I made these with Red Velvet Cake mix and Creme Cheese Frosting ... I made them for my son's teachers ... and they LOVED Them!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:56 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,612,203 times
sounds interesting! might have to give it a try. I also saw a recipe for cookie dough truffles. I just don't remember where I saw it. but it sounded really good too..after all, who doesn't like chocolate chip cookie dough!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:52 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,687,370 times
I made cake balls for this year's xmas gift trays. I used french vanilla cake, white chocolate almond frosting and white candy coating. SOOOOOOOOO yummy! Here's Ree's version:

The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Ree Drummond

Old 12-23-2008, 10:17 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,316,148 times
I LOVE that website. I have made so many of her recipes!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,417,978 times
I'm going to try this with spice cake and cream cheese frosting. I bet it will be yummy!!! Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes