U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:58 PM

58,062 posts, read 40,822,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Let us know how it turns out because that photo looks yummy.

Nothing better with Sunday AM coffee than a piece of NY Crumb Cake and the Sunday Funnies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 02:29 PM

24,751 posts, read 23,712,888 times
And why is it called New York Crumb Cake? Because Entenmann's opened in Brooklyn in 1898. I had to poke around for a while to find that out. I grew up eating Pennsylvania Crumb Cake. There are quite a few people of German descent over there.

I'll put my money on this recipe:

The Irish Mother: German Crumb Cake, Brooklyn Style

Old 03-26-2016, 04:08 PM

36,956 posts, read 45,395,424 times
Tomorrow, I'm making a blueberry breakfast casserole from Yums. I've made many variations, so this one will probably be fine.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:35 PM

619 posts, read 362,635 times
[quote=TabulaRasa;43460820]I make tons of things off allrecipes. I always read the comments/user reviews to get an idea of how the recipe had worked out for most who've used it.

I always have to chuckle at the reviews that are all, "Terrible recipe! Do not recommend!" And then you read further, and they're like, "I don't eat dairy, so I subbed cashews for the cheese, and used beef instead of chicken. My family doesn't like spices, so i ommitted the seasoning mentioned and just used a little garlic and salt. Directions were for oven, but I made it in the slow cooker instead. It turned out terrible, I'd never make this recipe again!!!"[/QUE]
I know! This is what people complain about.

I rarely follow a recipe exactly, except for baking. I can look at a recipe and figure out substitutions that will work. But if I do make changes and it doesn't come out, I have only myself to blame. When u find a new recipe online, I do what someone up thread mentioned, I Google the recipe and compare 3-4 examples from different sites to find the correct one

Old 03-28-2016, 02:28 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,863,452 times
I've been using online recipes for years. Over the years - I've found that some recipes by certain chefs (or at least recipes that have the chefs' names on them) are much better than those from other chefs. One recent favorite of mine is Anne Burrell. I tried these 2 recipes within the last year - and both were .

Peach Crisp Recipe : Anne Burrell : Food Network

Bucatini All'Amatriciana Recipe : Anne Burrell : Food Network

The second recipe is a good example of not trying the recipe if you don't have the right ingredients (or taking any reviews at face value if they haven't used the stated ingredients). You need guanciale to make a proper Bucatini All'Amatriciana. If you don't have guanciale - don't try to make this recipe. Make something else. FWIW - I love this recipe so much I buy guanciale on line so I can make it 3-4 times a year. Robyn

Old 04-02-2016, 07:53 AM

17,470 posts, read 20,825,105 times
Yes all of the time. I use food network a lot. Made Emeril's leg of lamb recipe (keeper)used Anne Burrell's standing rib roast recipe 4 times. I have made Ina Garten's red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I have used recipes from food.com, All recipes, Kraft, taste of home.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:21 AM

71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Like any recipe , no matter where you get it, some are better than others. I use 2 or 3 favorite websites. The recipes I have found that work best for me are canning and jam recipes, but they are not the only ones I enjoy. My favorite recipes do come from those cook books you buy from church or other fund raising events.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:02 PM

1,248 posts, read 883,494 times
I have found several good recipes online, especially recipes for the crackpot. (slow cooker).

Old 04-04-2016, 05:06 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,863,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I have found several good recipes online, especially recipes for the crackpot. (slow cooker).
Recipes for crackpots? That's a new one for me . Robyn

Old 04-14-2016, 09:55 AM

181 posts, read 425,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
When u find a new recipe online, I do what someone up thread mentioned, I Google the recipe and compare 3-4 examples from different sites to find the correct one
I do this, too. I've found some really good recipes online and some bad ones. Reading the reviews or comments (if it's a blog) are really helpful to avoid problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
I rarely follow a recipe exactly, except for baking. I can look at a recipe and figure out substitutions that will work.
My cooking skills aren't that good, so I pretty much have to follow the recipe. Thanks to the internet, though, I'm getting better now that I can research and find out more information. I like to know why things have to be done a certain way. I tend to want to skip steps if it looks like too much work because I get back aches from standing at the counter too long. Cookbooks don't tell you the why, but food articles on the internet do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes