U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:11 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,442,460 times

Advertisements

Um...if you're nervous perhaps it might be better to do something that doesn't require you to cook and serve up while he's in the house?

Just with pasta it works best when it's served up fresh so you will need to be in the kitchen cooking, which COULD make you hot and flustered when you should be relaxed and casual.

Could I suggest that you go with a baked pasta? And salad perhaps?

You can do all the prep, have the pasta baking in the oven, the salad ready to go and be able to sit and relax with a nice glass of wine and all you have to do then is serve it up? You could even do as I did a couple of weeks ago and set the table and get everything ready and then put the dish on the table and serve up from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM

5,414 posts, read 5,384,151 times
Everyone's pasta dishes are so delicious, I have made most of them myself.
I am with moonshadow on the baked pasta, it will be done when you friend comes over. Take imported pasta (Rigatoni, Ziti) cook al dente (not completely done), drain. One 15 oz Ricotta cheese, add 1 egg & 1/4 c Peccorino Romano grated cheese, some fresh flat chopped parsley leaves. Mix all together, add pasta and add your favorite sauce and mix well, save extra sauce to top for dinner. Cover and put in preheated oven 350 for 1 hr. Take a baking dish, add water and put this on the bottom rack under the pasta, this steams the pasta from the bottom and prevents sticking.

Crusty Italian bread and a nice big Italian salad. Enjoy your evening.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,010,290 times
This thread is making me really hungry. It's after midnight and I want pasta.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 AM

727 posts, read 1,683,666 times
You could make a pasta salad.......that gets me every time. Linguini,Salad shrimp,Pasta seasoning,Parmesan cheese,Italian dressing and any vegatables you want.............EASY!!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,752,681 times
yes, a baked pasta sound good, too! like a baked ziti or something. I was thinking of that. and I could add ground meat to the sauce, I don't like meatballs and I don't want to use frozen ones.
I ultimately decided on chicken parm. I found a couple good recipies, I think this will happen next week, so i'll post and let you know how it turned out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Um...if you're nervous perhaps it might be better to do something that doesn't require you to cook and serve up while he's in the house?

Just with pasta it works best when it's served up fresh so you will need to be in the kitchen cooking, which COULD make you hot and flustered when you should be relaxed and casual.

Could I suggest that you go with a baked pasta? And salad perhaps?

You can do all the prep, have the pasta baking in the oven, the salad ready to go and be able to sit and relax with a nice glass of wine and all you have to do then is serve it up? You could even do as I did a couple of weeks ago and set the table and get everything ready and then put the dish on the table and serve up from there.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 AM

this sounds good, too "kelsie"-perhaps if the chicken parm turns out, I'll try this one next!!
I'm just concerned about the nervousness aspect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Everyone's pasta dishes are so delicious, I have made most of them myself.
I am with moonshadow on the baked pasta, it will be done when you friend comes over. Take imported pasta (Rigatoni, Ziti) cook al dente (not completely done), drain. One 15 oz Ricotta cheese, add 1 egg & 1/4 c Peccorino Romano grated cheese, some fresh flat chopped parsley leaves. Mix all together, add pasta and add your favorite sauce and mix well, save extra sauce to top for dinner. Cover and put in preheated oven 350 for 1 hr. Take a baking dish, add water and put this on the bottom rack under the pasta, this steams the pasta from the bottom and prevents sticking.

Crusty Italian bread and a nice big Italian salad. Enjoy your evening.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 AM

5,414 posts, read 5,384,151 times
s: don't be nervous. 1 rule of thumb concerning the chicken parm. Keep your chicken pieces uniform in size. If your cutlets are thick, slice them in 1/2, put the pieces in plastic wrap and pound to 1/8" thin. Dip in egg mixed with milk and s/p, Italian seasoned bread crumbs or panko. Cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge for 1 hr. so the breading sticks to the chicken. Fry lightly in oo about 2 mins. on ea. side. Preheat oven to 350, put sauce on the bottom of your pan, cutlets, add minced garlic & top with mozzerella and Pecorino Romano cheese, add more sauce cover with foil, bake 45-60 mins.

*NOTE: put a tray of water on bottom rack to steam and moisten the bottom of the chicken cutlets. Delicious.

Serve with a side of spaghetti, tossed salad and crusty Italian bread.

Relax and enjoy your great dinner.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 AM

4,103 posts, read 6,053,786 times
These are my favorite pasta dishes and they come out great. These are all Emeril's recipes.

Chicken Marsala
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
2 (6 to 8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in halves and pounded thin
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoons butter
3 cups sliced mushrooms (cremini, oyster, shiitake)
3/4 cup Marsala
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped chives, for garnish
Directions
In a shallow bowl or plate combine the flour and Essence and stir to combine thoroughly. Quickly dredge the chicken breast halves in the seasoned flour mixture, shaking to remove any excess flour.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and cook the chicken breasts until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter to the pan and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are golden brown around the edges and have given off their liquid. Add the Marsala wine and bring to a boil, scraping to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. When the wine has reduced by half, add the chicken stock and cook for 3 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Lower the heat to medium and return the chicken breasts to the pan and continue to cook until they are cooked through and the sauce has thickened, about 5 to 6 minutes. Swirl in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, add salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with chopped chives and serve immediately.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup

Veal Picatta (I use chicken)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 veal scallops, about 3/4 pound, pounded to a thickness of 1/8-inch
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 lemon, juiced, or more to taste, (about 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoon capers, drained
1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves, optional, plus sprigs for garnish
Directions
In a shallow bowl or plate combine the flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and pepper and stir to combine thoroughly. Quickly dredge the veal scallops in the seasoned flour mixture, shaking to remove any excess flour.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter and, working quickly and in batches if necessary, cook the veal until golden brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Deglaze the pan with wine and bring to a boil, scraping to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. When the wine has reduced by half, add the chicken stock, chopped garlic, lemon juice and capers and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, remaining 3 1/2 tablespoons of butter and the chopped parsley. When the butter has melted, return the veal scallops to the pan and cook until heated through and the sauce has thickened, about 1 minute. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve immediately.

Fettucine Alfredo ( I add 3 cloves of chopped garlic when I'm sauteeing the shallots and the butter.)

1 pound dried fettucine
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Fresh parsley, for garnish, optional
Directions
Cook the fettucine in a pot of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain in a colander, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.

While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute until tender. Add heavy cream and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Return the pasta to the pot it was cooked in, set over medium-high heat along with the reserved cooking liquid. Add the butter-cream mixture and half of the Parmesan and toss to combine thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.

The alfredo is the easiest. Serve with a nice salad and garlic bread and your bf will be in heaven.

ETA and don't cut corners on the cheese. It must be Parmigiano-Reggiano, not the cheap stuff. I know it's expensive and I almost want to cry when I buy it but then I remember what a difference it makes and realize it's worth the price.

Last edited by carlitasway; 01-05-2009 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 AM

it sounds good! I was hoping to bake the chicken, though. If i let the chicken sit in the breading in the fridge, won't it get soggy?
and what kind of sauce? marinara or pasta sauce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
s: don't be nervous. 1 rule of thumb concerning the chicken parm. Keep your chicken pieces uniform in size. If your cutlets are thick, slice them in 1/2, put the pieces in plastic wrap and pound to 1/8" thin. Dip in egg mixed with milk and s/p, Italian seasoned bread crumbs or panko. Cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge for 1 hr. so the breading sticks to the chicken. Fry lightly in oo about 2 mins. on ea. side. Preheat oven to 350, put sauce on the bottom of your pan, cutlets, add minced garlic & top with mozzerella and Pecorino Romano cheese, add more sauce cover with foil, bake 45-60 mins.

*NOTE: put a tray of water on bottom rack to steam and moisten the bottom of the chicken cutlets. Delicious.

Serve with a side of spaghetti, tossed salad and crusty Italian bread.

Relax and enjoy your great dinner.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM

this sounds like a great recipe for a nice lunch/picnic, yumm thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
You could make a pasta salad.......that gets me every time. Linguini,Salad shrimp,Pasta seasoning,Parmesan cheese,Italian dressing and any vegatables you want.............EASY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes