Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:16 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times

Advertisements

I grew up with a love for cooking. I learned growing up in Texas, influenced by BBQue, Mexican and convienence.
I am at a point now that I rarely use recipes, with the few exceptions.

When I cannot make something I hafe recipes galore both books here and internet
In spite of this, a few things just never turn out regardless

1 stew. I have tried so many recipes and all fall short. As my old lady will say (politely) " it is not quite what I had in mind "

2 Grilled fish. Ok i am not as good on the grill as YOU are. As my kids say "you kind of fell short on this one"

3 Burgers. The easiest one would think.....as my kids say "your burgers are horrible "

But. If I make puzza from scratch, tacos from scratch, pot roastnifbit is cold 3 times a year, chili, vegetarian pasta, tufu on tye grill any chicken on the grill, banana rum bread asparagus on the grill .......there will be None left to share.

Funny, but some things I try. And yes I try other recipes.....seem to fail here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 02:34 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Ive got an odd situation with mayonnaise. I couldn't make mayonnaise to save my life. No matter what I did, it would not emulsify.

Except my blue cheese dressing recipe, which is basically a mayonnaise with a few more ingredients added. It always comes out.

Then I learned about the stick blender. Now, my mayonnaise always comes out. Except..... the blue cheese dressing recipe refuses to emulsify with the stick blender. I have to keep my regular Oster blender in order to make blue cheese dressing.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:55 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Pork Chops: I've brined them, smothered them, cajoled them, and threatened them and have yet to find a reliable way of making them anything but dry.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:20 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Pork chops are probably not your fault since they breed pigs to be less fatty and everyone I know remembers them tasting good years ago. Now they have the flavor and texture of wood. I hardly make them anymore myself.

As for stew, OP, you could try a mix and follow the directions and it might give you confidence if it came out edible (if not what you had in mind).

Grilled fish needs more grease on the outside than anything I can think of. But I realize you didn't say what's going wrong with all these things.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:16 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Pork chops are probably not your fault since they breed pigs to be less fatty and everyone I know remembers them tasting good years ago. Now they have the flavor and texture of wood. I hardly make them anymore myself.

I agree about the leanness being at least a big part of the problem.

One of these days I'm going to either take a ride to:

Nahunta Pork Center - Pikeville, NC - Locations & Contact

Or mail order some:

https://www.dartagnan.com/berkshire-...BER033#start=4

While I always thought my Mom a pretty good cook, and she did make some good pork chops many years ago, I know she never went through the trouble of brining or anything similar. I have good results with tenderloin but chops would be a welcome change of pace.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:49 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree about the leanness being at least a big part of the problem.

One of these days I'm going to either take a ride to:

Nahunta Pork Center - Pikeville, NC - Locations & Contact

Or mail order some:

https://www.dartagnan.com/berkshire-...BER033#start=4

While I always thought my Mom a pretty good cook, and she did make some good pork chops many years ago, I know she never went through the trouble of brining or anything similar. I have good results with tenderloin but chops would be a welcome change of pace.
Chops would be great. I remember licking the bone when I was a kid because it had more flavor than anything else. You can try country ribs, which Christopher Kimball claims are chops. They have a bone, they have more fat, and you can do them in the pan.

Not to hijack the OP's thread - I know we all have things that we just can't master. I don't know why. Mine, of all things, is decent shortbread.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:52 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Flour based gravy.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Brownies. I can bake anything else, but have never successfully made brownies.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:05 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Pie crust. I have no patience with it at all.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Pie crust. I have no patience with it at all.
I don't like making pie crusts either. Years ago I found an easy oil pie crust and now there is on that is a no roll. Check this one out
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...e-crust-recipe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes