Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times

Advertisements

OK Here is a chance to post tips and suggestions for making really good homemade ice cream, I ask because I NEED Tips and Suggestions
Here are some things I figured out. (And I am VERY open to suggestions)
Out of all the years of making i ce cream, I have only a few times opened the freezer cannister to find an ice cream with a texture like that from the sotre. I thought it was the right mic of whipping cream and half and half, until I started making ice cream with SOy (due to son's allergy) Again, a few times using Soy I managed to get the right texture.
It seems to do with timing more than anything. If the ice cream freezes too fast, it will be like an ice, where as if it freezes too long, it will be more like a pudding, but melting quickly and not having a decent texture.

I also found that if I take the soy milk, heat it up and scald it, adding the chocolate and the marshmellows at that point, then letting it cool before placing it into the freezer, I get better results.

Also, does anyone ebsides me miss the old hand crank ice cream freezers? I know they sure were a lot of work, but they seemed to make a better product than the little electric ones do. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
I am allergic to soy, so no soy here. I prefer good old-fashioned milk products. We have the kind of ice cream maker that you keep in the freezer. Just add the ingredients, and turn the handle for 20 minutes or so until it's ready. Quick and easy. Every year we pick our own strawberries, and I make a delicious strawberry ice cream from them. I have a hand-held Braun blender, you just drop the blade into the bowl and it purees your ingredients in seconds. A lot of recipes call for heavy cream, but I find that half and half works just as well without the additional fat and calories. Although half and half is hardly low-fat!

I don't like vanilla ice cream, but my son makes a delicious one using Alton Brown's recipe. It calls for fresh vanilla beans, and is SO good. I think it's time to stick our ice cream maker in the freezer!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:54 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Now I'm dying for ice cream! My parents and their best friends went out and bought an ice cream maker probably in the late 70s / early 80s and had an ice cream party. It was good but it took so long to make! I'm sure they make ice cream makers that are easier to use these days. I may have to try that!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
We have an ice cream maker attachment for our KitchenAid mixer, not something I would ordinarily have spent money on, but it was free with purchase and our old mixer needed to be replaced. (Too much breadmaking burned out the motor, so we got a bigger one.)

We've had great results with the two or three batches we have made so far. From what I can tell, the mixture has to be very cold. The mixer bowl has to be frozen overnight, and the cream mixture has to be refrigerated overnight so it's really cold.

We made homemade pistachio ice cream that stacks up to Haagen-Dasz, in my opinion. I'll find the recipe if you like ... I think it came with the ice cream maker and I have to look for the booklet.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:15 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,362 times
Homade ice cream.........yummy!!! We usually make it a couple of times a year. I always do the basice vanilla.

I will be watching to see if anyone has a recipe for lemon.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
My dad made homade peach ice cream a couple of times. I am actually thinking of buying an ice cream maker just dont know wich one

Old 06-16-2011, 11:08 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Homade ice cream.........yummy!!! We usually make it a couple of times a year. I always do the basice vanilla.

I will be watching to see if anyone has a recipe for lemon.

Home-made lemon is all we ever had when I was growing up. No matter how much I begged, Mom said "We have a lemon tree. Gotta use them up."

I'll ask her if she still has the recipe in her head. She's 90 now

Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
My dad made homade peach ice cream a couple of times. I am actually thinking of buying an ice cream maker just dont know wich one

White Mountain makes a quality ice cream freezer. They are a little pricey but they do a better job than the cheaper plastic ones in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes