Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 08:44 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times

Advertisements

I tried it a couple of times but did not like the end result. I let it ferment for 4 weeks and the water got funny. I didn't like the way it smelt. Tell me how you do it, details plse, I want to try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:14 PM

149 posts, read 762,103 times
I do this on occasion, but in small batches only because I'm the only one who eats pickled food in my house. For sauerkraut I take one cabbage and cut it up, put it in a bowl with 4 tablespoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of caraway seeds, and pound it with a wooden spoon until it gets nice and soft and the juices run out (~10 minutes?). I think a mallet would be easier except I can't find mine.
Then I take a large jar and using my fingers, pack the cabbage and juice in as tightly as possible, and leave about an inch from the top or else it will overflow later. Then I leave it sit on the counter for a week. You could leave it go longer I guess it would just be stronger in taste but I have never tried. But take the weather into account - things will ferment faster in hot/humid air.

I have had a couple of my jars go bad like you described when i first attempted to make sauerkraut where it and it smelled/tasted spoiled. I'm pretty sure the reason was because I did not pound the cabbage first so it didn't get packed in tightly enough.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:19 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
I do this on occasion, but in small batches only because I'm the only one who eats pickled food in my house. For sauerkraut I take one cabbage and cut it up, put it in a bowl with 4 tablespoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of caraway seeds, and pound it with a wooden spoon until it gets nice and soft and the juices run out (~10 minutes?). I think a mallet would be easier except I can't find mine.
Then I take a large jar and using my fingers, pack the cabbage and juice in as tightly as possible, and leave about an inch from the top or else it will overflow later. Then I leave it sit on the counter for a week. You could leave it go longer I guess it would just be stronger in taste but I have never tried. But take the weather into account - things will ferment faster in hot/humid air.

I have had a couple of my jars go bad like you described when i first attempted to make sauerkraut where it and it smelled/tasted spoiled. I'm pretty sure the reason was because I did not pound the cabbage first so it didn't get packed in tightly enough.
I have a crock and did use a plate to cover with a weight making sure the salted water was above. I didn't realize that if it's to cold, it won't ferment, to hot it might spoil. I made Kimchi and that went well because you have the spices in it.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:40 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
My gran used to make it, but she shredded the cabbage. It went into a big crock and there was considerably more salt - I think - though since she made such large batches it might have turned out to be around the same proportion. She didn't pound it, she just poured saltwater over it, stirred it up with a long wooden spoon or her hands to get all the air bubbles out, and had a big platter weighted down on the top.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,500 times
There's a really cool crock, made in Germany, that I think is really fantastic for sauerkraut. It has a lip that you pour water into that allows fermentation bubbles to escape from, but won't let air and "hitchhikers" into your sauerkraut. This is also a really good how-to on how to make sauerkraut, and she uses the crock I'm talking about.
Rabbit Food or Sauerkraut « Softly We Walk…

Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 AM

821 posts, read 2,011,153 times
I just shred my cabbage like I'm making slaw
put a spoon full of salt in the bottom of a clean quart jar (1/2 spoon full in pint jar)
put in shredded cabbage, push in with fingers
add tap water to it to fill it up
put jar lid and ring on (leave ring loose to let it bubble over) (I just my old jar rings for this)
I put newspapers on the bottom of one of those plastic milk crates, put the jars in there and cover with more news papers
take the whole crate outside in the building sit on concrete floor out of the light (newspapers helps with this)
forget about it for about 4 weeks
then bring it outside, remove the newspapers, take water hose and wash off, tighten the lids and store
really simple
cabbage, salt, water, newspapers, plastic milk crate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes