U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,487,014 times

Advertisements

Key Lime Pie - this is not really a "Latin" recipe but it is very popular in Miami and the Keys and is often served at Cuban restaurants. There is a "Southern version" that is more sweet and has merengue on the top, but the kind that I know how to make is more of the "island version" - more tart and without merengue.

Ingredients
4 ounces key lime juice
1 graham cracker crust (you can buy it already done or prepare it yourself)
1 tin of sweetened condensed milk (it is either 12 or 14 ounces, I forget the exact number)
4 egg yolks
1 key lime (a regular lime is fine for this)
Whipped cream for topping (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Extract the yolk from four eggs. Put them in a large mixing bowl and add the tin of sweetened condensed milk. Mix together thoroughly before adding the key lime juice. Make sure that you mix everything well before pouring it into the graham cracker crust. Place in the oven and let sit for about 20 minutes.

When the pie comes out of the oven, let it come to room temperature before covering it and refrigerating it. Let it sit for at least two hours before serving so that it can set. When you are ready to serve it, take out a lime. Cut the lime in slices as thin as you can get them and garnish each pie slice with them. Top each slice with some whipped cream.

This is the first dessert my mom taught me how to make, and it is still one of my favorites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 PM

Vaca Frita (shredded, fried steak with garlic, onions, and peppers)

Ingredients
Skirt steak
Two bay leaves (they can be found in the condiment aisle)
Salt/Pepper
Mojo marinade (*look in the "international" aisle or Latin America aisle for this. If you cannot find it, DM me and I will explain how to make your own*)
Dried oregano
Sliced onions
Sliced peppers (red, green, yellow - whatever you want)
Minced garlic
Olive oil

Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Cut skirt steak into very large pieces and place them into the pot with two bay leaves, some salt, and some pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-high and let boil for about 90 minutes. After this time is up, take the steak out of the pot (you can discard the remaining water) and let sit for a few minutes until it has cooled enough so that you can comfortably touch it. At this time, you can shred the meat either with two forks or with your fingers.

Place the shredded meat in a pan and soak it with mojo marinade, spoon on plenty of minced garlic, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Allow this to marinate for a minimum of two hours or even for overnight.

Place a bit of olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions until they start to slightly brown. Add the peppers and cook for a few more minutes. Remove the onions and peppers from the pan and set aside. Put a little more olive oil in the pan, heat it to medium-high, and place the steak in the pan. Let the steak get brown on both sides, then add a little more mojo marinade over it so that it doesn't become dry. Add the onion and pepper mixture and cook for a few more minutes on medium heat.

Serve with white race, lime wedges, mixed greens, and my sweet plaintains

Last edited by Marlin331; 02-04-2009 at 09:56 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 PM

Crisp444's favorite 20-minute chicken

Ingredients
Thin boneless and skinless chicken breasts
Italian dressing (buy any brand from the grocery)
Salt/Pepper
Dried Oregano
Small tin of anchovies
Minced garlic
A little bit of tomato sauce
Some kind of sharp cheese like pecorino romano (optional)

Coat the bottom of a frying pan with Italian dressing. While it is heating, coat both sides of the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and oregano. Sear the chicken until it has browned on one side, flip the breasts, and make sure the chicken is cooked well-through. Remove the breasts from the pan and set aside.

Using the same pan (you don't need to clean it out), you will now make the sauce to pour over the chicken. Place the minced garlic in the pan and cook on medium heat for a minute or so. Add the anchovies and stir. The achovies will start to "melt." At this point, add a little bit of tomato sauce. Cook for about a minute more, mixing well.

Pour the sauce over the chicken breasts, and grate a bit of the cheese over it if you'd like. Serve with wild rice or simply with a green salad.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,937,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
Columella Salad:

Addito in mortarium satureiam, mentam, rutam, coriandrum, apium, porrum sectivum, aut si non erit viridem cepam, folia latucae, folia erucae, thymum viride, vel nepetam, tum etiam viride puleium, et caseum recentem et salsum: ea omnia partier conterito, acetique piperati exiguum, permisceto. Hanc mixturam (with, etc.) in catillo composurris, oleum superfundito.
Funny

Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 PM

9,045 posts, read 14,276,745 times
Default Pernil and marinated onions

I make pernil but I never measure when I cook so I can't tell you how much of what to use. I found a recipe online and made a few adjustments with the ingredients, just for measurement sake. Seasoning one day ahead makes a great difference.

The orriginal recipe is here:

El Boricua, a bilingual , cultural publication for Puerto Ricans

7 lbs. pork shoulder - picnic cut (with fat)
9 garlic cloves
½ teaspoon crushed oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup of vinegar
2 teaspoons of Goya Adobo con pimiento (the red topped bottle)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (for the skin)
1 pack of Goya Sazon (sin achiote)

Crush the garlic in a pilón. If you don't have a pilón (shame on you!) crush the whole garlic with the side of a wide knife then dice the pieces. In a small bowl mix together the garlic, Adobo, oregano, vinegar, Sazon and olive oil. Mix well.

Wash the meat and pat dry. With a sharp knife cut the fat away from the meat, leaving an edge attached and keeping it all in one piece. Start at the wide end and go to the narrow end. You don't have to separate it completely - just leave enough still conected so that you can flip the fat over to the side while you season the meat itself. The fat will be placed over the seasoned meat and will cook over the meat giving it more flavor. Season the side of the fat that goes over the meat with a bit of the seasoning also - just that one side by running your hand on it. The other side - the top - should only have salt.

Make very deep slits all over the meat and season the meat making sure that seasoning goes into all the slits. Put the fat back over the meat to look the same as before it was cut and sprinkle it with salt.

Refrigerate the shoulder, covered with plastic wrap, for 24 hours (if you are short on time bake at this time)

Let the meat get back into room temperature before cooking, if it was refrigerated. (About one hour).

Place the meat in a deep pan with the fat side up. There will be a lot of grease so be sure to use a deep pan that is at least 2" deep. The fat side up will make nice crunchy "cueritos." Do NOT cover with foil.

Preheat the over for at least 30 minutes before placing the meat inside.

Cook in a 400º oven for one hour, then reduce temperature to 300º for about 4 hours or so - DO NOT TURN MEAT. When the meat is done, you can prick it on the side with a fork to see if it shreds. If the "cuerito is not crispy enough for your satisfaction, then leave it in the oven and raise the temperature again to 400º and cook another 15 or so until it is crispy. It will crisp fast so keep your eye on it.
Remove the meat from the oven and let it rest on the counter for about 20-30 minutes before carving.

To carve, remove the cuerito completely and set aside. Carve the meat and then cut the cuerito into pieces and place over the meat. If you're going to take this to a party put it in an oven-safe container and put it back in a 200º to keep it warm. DON'T COVER IT because the crispy cueritos will get soft if you do. Cut the cuerito and serve meat with a piece of cuerito on each place. Enjoy!

Tips . . .
If using a meat thermometer, it will be ready when it reaches 185ºF.

If the picnic cut is not available just buy a pork shoulder - it won't have the fat and you won't get any cueritos - but it will be delicious.

This onion mixture goes wonderfully with pernil.

Slice one large yellow or red onion really thin and place in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper and enough lime juice to cover the onions 1/2 way up. Let it sit until the onions are softened, less than an hour usually - moving them around every 15 minutes or so. Add a palmful of finely chopped cilantro and spin. Serve in a separate bowl for your guests to top off their pork with.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:39 PM

622 posts, read 1,528,249 times
I'll post my recipe for flan, because I'm feeling a twinge of guilt for being such a wiseguy..no, not really but you'll love this flan anyway!

sugar to caramelize, about 1/2 cup
1 whole egg
5 egg yolks
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
about1 teaspoon vanilla extract more or less

To make this, you need a flanera, or 1 qt. casserole dish with a lid. Also, an ovenproof dish for it to fit into, as you will be creating a baño maría, or a bain-marie. Alternatively, you could cook this is a pressure cooker, I've seen it done, but don't have the specifics.
Anyway, caramelize the sugar in the flanera. If you're using the casserole dish, caramelize the sugar and pour into the casserole.
Whisk 1 whole egg and 5 egg yolks together. Add the evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk to the eggs and mix together. Add the vanilla extract. Pour on top of the carmel. Put the lid on and place the flanera/casserole into the ovenproof dish or pan. Pour in hot water half-way up the outside of the flanera. Bake at 350* for 45 min, then turn off the oven and let it set for 15*. Let cool. Invert onto a large plate and enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes