U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,490,498 times

Advertisements

Here's a really easy and fairly healthy stir fried rice.

3 cups cooked white rice (day old or leftover is the best)
3 tablespoons Sesame Oil
1 1/2 cup Frozen Carrots and Peas.....thaw them before using
1 small onion - chopped
3 garlic cloves - minced
2 eggs - slightly beat
1/4 cup lite soy sauce
1/4 cup green onion - chopped
1/4 finely chopped ham

Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet. Add the thawed carrots and peas, onion, green onion, garlic and ham and fry on medium high heat....stir frequently until tender. Push the veggies to the side in the wok and pour in the eggs and scramble on medium low heat until eggs are scrambled then add the rice and soy sauce and stir all together and stir fry until all heated through. Note: sometimes I add a bit more lite soy sauce.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,776,084 times
Yes, the Internet has a bunch of recipes. I would suggest Ching-He Huang, she is on the Cooking Channel. You can find her on the internet by searching her name or her cooking show/recipes: Chinese Made Easy. She has some great healthy recipes. I second the wok purchase..if you're willing to spring for it, it really does create the authentic taste. Also, if you really do want to get serious about it, go to your local Asian market and invest in some of the awesome Chinese oils and seasonings out there.

- Soy Sauce (low sodium)
- Sesame Oil (absolutely delicous in fried rice, noodle and stir fry dishes)
- Oyster Sauce (don't be afraid of it
- Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine
- Black Vinegar (good for dipping sauces and stir frys)
- Hoison Sauce (the plum sauce used for Mu shu )

Asian markets also have tons of different egg roll, spring roll, wonton and potsticker wrappers.

Now I'm totally craving chinese food!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 PM

7 posts, read 7,409 times
Thanks all for the suggestions. Lubby, rural chick, cant wait to try your recipes! Also appreciate the link, PennyLane2. Looks like a good one. Looking forward to some grocery shopping at an asian market herbrocks, should be fun! GoldyViolet will definately look into that

Old 04-20-2013, 03:33 PM

18,260 posts, read 20,549,537 times
If funds don't allow you to purchase a wok or like me no storage for one I use my iron skillet with great results. Heat up your skillet then put oil in it will only take a few seconds for the oil to heat up in the hot skillet. Chop up everything before you start cooking have it all ready to go in piles on a cutting board. Broccoli & carrots will take longer to cook than snow peas so I put the veggies in first that takes the longest. You'll be constantly adding & stirring so don't step away.

I cook my meat first once it is cooked remove it then put in the veggies at times I put maybe a T. water on them put the lid on to let them steam for a very short bit. Remove stir and add your meat back in you should have added seasoning to the meat when cooking. Now would be the time to put in your sesame oil, oyster sauce or more soy sauce mix it around & plate it. I sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the plated food also then add some fried rice noodles for a bit of crunch.

The cornstarch & water is what makes the 'gravy' type stuff that sticks to the veggies & meat you'll notice a difference when you use it & when you don't. Very economical and quick cooking enjoy!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:53 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,723,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
Sure......

Step 1

2 lbs chicken cutlets (I cut them in pieces)
1 TBSP veg. oil
1 egg
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soy sauce

Step 2

veg oil
1/4 c flour
1/4 c water
2 tsp cornstarch
2 TBSP veg oil
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Step 3
1/2 c chicken broth
1/4 c honey
3 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP light corn syrup
2 TBSP vinegar
1 TBSP veg oil
1 TBSP ketchup
1 clove of garlic chopped
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper

a peel of 1/2 lemon
1 TBSP cornstarch
1TBSP of cold water
1/2 lemon thinly sliced

Mix together STEP 1........ 1 TBSP of oil, the egg, 2 tsp salt, soy sauce and 1/4 tsp white pepper; pour over chicken to coat both sides. Cover & put in fridge 30 mins. , or more.
Remove chicken from marinade; reserve marinade.

Heat oil in wok (about 1 1/2") Make very hot. Mix reserved marinade, And now STEP 2...... the flour, 1/4 cup of water, 2 TBSP cornstarch, 2 TBSP oil, the baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt. Fry until light brown, about 3 mins. Drain on paper towels.

Mix together Step 3.......Heat chicken broth, honey, lemon juice, corn syrup, vinegar, 1 TBSP veg oil, the ketchup, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, dash of white pepper & the lemon peel to boiling.

Mix 1 TBSP cornstarch & 1 TBSP water, stir into sauce. Cook & stir until thickened. Remove lemon peel, pour sauce over chicken or serve separately. Serve with rice.

You may have to adjust to your taste...I personally like a more lemon taste.

ENJOY!
I am in a Balkan country that doesn't have corn syrup, could you use honey instead? Thanks.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:00 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,244,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Here's a really easy and fairly healthy stir fried rice.

3 cups cooked white rice (day old or leftover is the best)
3 tablespoons Sesame Oil
1 1/2 cup Frozen Carrots and Peas.....thaw them before using
1 small onion - chopped
3 garlic cloves - minced
2 eggs - slightly beat
1/4 cup lite soy sauce
1/4 cup green onion - chopped
1/4 finely chopped ham

Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet. Add the thawed carrots and peas, onion, green onion, garlic and ham and fry on medium high heat....stir frequently until tender. Push the veggies to the side in the wok and pour in the eggs and scramble on medium low heat until eggs are scrambled then add the rice and soy sauce and stir all together and stir fry until all heated through. Note: sometimes I add a bit more lite soy sauce.

Enjoy!
I make this a lot with left over Chinese rice from takeout. I rinse the rice before cooking to remove all the starch as I prefer loose, drier rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or