U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,455,292 times

Advertisements

I've been looking through my many, many cookbooks looking for a recipe my daughter in law gave me years ago. I finally gave up and emailed her for it since I know she just made a new batch of it (she mailed me a pint of it.. they live in Virginia)...

It is Tomato Butter, so easy to make and we just love it but is different and many of you may not like it.. It is a lot like Apple Butter but it is a condimant that you eat on blackeyed peas (or what ever bean you like) and she suggested using it on pork chops too... If any of you are into canning, you may want to try this..

I have told the guys on the boat about it and plan to make a batch next trip.

Tomato Butter
8 lbs ripe tomatoes
3 lbs sugar
1 pt cider vinegar
1 tsp ea. ground cloves, ground cinnamon, salt
Core, scald and peel tomatos. Put tomatos, vinegar and sugar in large heavy bottom dutch oven, cook for 4 -6 hours until cooked down by half and tomatos are cooked apart. Stir occasionally. Prior to canning add the spices then put very hot butter into very hot canning jars, seal and process. Yields about 3 quarts

Quote:
Crazyworold wrote-Laura if you are interested I have some good calzone recipes the guys would love.
YES! Lets have it!!!

iamtheonlykittie- Those sounds good and DIFFERENT, I love a different twist on a old recipe and I am going to give those a try just to grab their attention.. It has been said about me out there, that while I may cook the same things over and over, they never know what I will do that is different to it, there is always a differnent way to do it. Those will grab their attention and shock them.. Heck, I bet that ginger would be good in that tomato butter..

Did someone mention MEXICAN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 PM

19 posts, read 33,630 times
Thanks guys Yea it's fun to experiment and see what can come out of "cleaning the cupboard out" so to speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Did someone mention MEXICAN?
Yep, I make all kinds of mexican food. My family really enjoy it and it's a main staple where we live. I have a recipe for Enchiladas that's pretty similiar to yours as a matter of fact. I also make my own fideo, rice, chimi's, sopapillas and even tried (though not very successfully) to make my own fried icecream. I have a great recipe for Apple Flautas that I made for my very picky gramma once and she loved them.

All you need is 1 can of apple pie filling (it's the quickest unless you want to make your own), a bag of the smaller sized flour tortillas, some oil and time. Put about a tablespoon full of the apple filling into a tortilla, roll it up small (so it looks like a cigar kinda) and fry it either in a cast-iron skillet or regular skillet with enough oil in it to cover just the bottom of the pan until all sides are light brown. I don't know if you can deep fry them, I never have but it's worth a try at any rate.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:39 PM

I always cook something sweet for breakfast and those sound good. I do make a apple, cherry or blueberry turnover with a pie crust that I bake and add a icing too...

I HAVE (and someone might want to try this..) made with the scrambled egg, sausage and cheese, placed them in the middle of a flour tortilla and made a round cover, pinching the tortilla and folding it down into a circle and put that is a skillet and fried them on each side. Those are pretty and GOOD! Wish I had a picture of it so you could see what I am talking about.

Quote:
fideo, rice, chimi's, sopapillas
I know nothing abpout any of those.. Can you do a picture tutorial on them with the recipes? (for me) I go back to work on the 12th of August and will be back on Sept 9th... Is that enough time? That is what I would love... REAL Mexica stuff other than the American Taco's & Fajhita's.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:09 AM

10,887 posts, read 9,866,129 times
LAURA!!!!!!!!!! Good to see you ! We always love your recipes, and stories - missed you!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:12 AM

20,799 posts, read 8,692,962 times
Here is my calzones.....easy, makes a huge amount, a crowd pleaser and just serve with a salad. It is a little expensive though.

I take frozen bread dough thaw it out and roll out on the counter with a little flour until very thin but not thin enough for holes to break through..just enough so that you leave enough room to overlap a bit to close the calzone to bake.

1st layer......generously put a layer of hot ham or capicola
2nd layer a layer of provolone cheese
3d layer another generous layer of genoa salami
4th layer of mozzarella cheese
5th a generous layer of pepperoni (for sandwiches)
6th layer of swiss cheese

Bring ends together and close ................bring sides together to meet in the middle and close...............
Seal with an egg mixture with a few drops of water and brush on.
Sprinkle with poppy seeds

Bake 350 oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Slice into about 1-2" inch slices and enjoy!

NOTE: I find that after rolling them out these tend to be larger than the average cookie sheet so you can either squish it a little or make two out the same dough.

These go really fast. So make a lot.

I also make them using real turkey then cranberry sauce then real stuffing.......close seal and cook.
I made the mistake once of using cranberry mustard and I ruined the flavor. Maybe you can use a dipping sauce on the side.

Any combination will do but be careful f you are making an eggplant one or sausages onions peppers and mushrooms as they get too heavy for the dough to handle.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:01 AM

OMG! These sound awesome! When you say these make a lot, what are you calling a "lot"? Enough to fee 8 to 9 giants? My dough recipe that I use makes 16 (what I call) hot pockets/2 -17X12 inch pans/8 each pan or 24 medium size rolls/1-17X12 inch pan... (the hot pockets not touching in the pan and look like the breakfast things I make with the Grands biscuits....hummmm.. have you tried making them with the Grands?)

That one with the turkey, dressing AND stuffing sounds TOOOO good ! (I will not be tossing out those left overs anymore but save for this!)

Old 07-31-2009, 10:07 AM

Laura each one is longer than a cookie sheet......For the crowd I would make 4 because they also make great leftovers and with salad that should be enough.
To reheat just wrap in wax paper or a paper towel. Nuke for a few seconds.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 AM

To answer your question...........no never made them with Grands but that sounds great especially for my day care kids.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM

19 posts, read 33,630 times
Opps, sorry. Fideo is a type of pasta. Kind of like the noodles in lipton's chicken noodle soup noodles, and used in a soup base. I usually make fideo con pollo (noodles with chicken). Chimi's are chimichangas (not sure on the spelling) and are alot like burritos except it's more a meat (like shredded beef) and no refried beans and then deep fried. Served with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and guacamole and shredded cheese on top When I said rice I meant spanish rice. I make my own because I don't like store bought. lol. Sopapillas, oh so good, are flat bread slices deep fried and then dusted with powdered sugar and cinnamon, with honey drizzled over that. I'll see if I can find some pictures and if you want the recipes, just let me know.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:31 PM

Ah hum.... This is an official notification.. I would love the recipe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes