U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,694,080 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I am wondering how effected Laura is in the gulf there.

That chocolate caramel cake was amazing....I made it for a First Communion last month and it was funny people would take a bite and you could hear these sounds of ecstasy coming from them.

I got a recipe a while back from Monica and I cannot remember her screen name but the cake was calle Lemon Nector Cake and I amke it if I am going somewhere and it is quick easy and a huge hit everywhere.I sometimes substitute Mango juice or even papaya and it is so good:Monica's Devine Lemon Nectar Cake

1 Cup Apricot Nectar (usualy found in the spanish section in the grocery store)
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 box lemon supreme cake mix

Blend all ingrediants well, bake at 350 for 60 minutes. I usually make this in a bundt pan.

I hope whomever tries this enjoys it!!!
Monica

mix some confec. sugar with lemon juice and dribble on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 PM

10,887 posts, read 9,867,640 times
That sounds wonderful, Crazy!!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:50 AM

122 posts, read 172,014 times
laura707

I have copied some of your recipes to try they all sound wonderful. I have a family dinner once a month an I cook for 12 some whom eat like lumber jacks so thanks for the help . Here is a recipe I have used for yrs got it from my mother in-law an everyone loves it. Can be increased easily.

chicken n cheese rolls

1 whole chicken boiled in (salted peppered an garlic water)
1 can cream mush. soup
1 can cream chicken
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
3 cans croissant rolls (you could use your dough for this)
pepper an salt garlic powder to taste

shred chicken mix with half the cheese in separate bowl mix both soups an seasoning and 1to 2 cups of chicken broth you want it to be like gravy
pour some soup mix in baking dish just enough to cover
roll chicken an cheese mix into the rolls seem side down in a baking dish
proceed through all pour the rest of soup mix over top of rolls cover with remaining cheese
bake at 400 covered with foil for 30 min uncover an bake till golden brown an bubbley about 45 min total

This is so easy an good enjoy

Old 06-14-2010, 06:55 PM

18,260 posts, read 20,551,128 times
PeacenHarmony what size baking dish do you use with 3 cans of crescents? Seems a 9x13" would not be big enough for 3 cans.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 PM

122 posts, read 172,014 times
Wink Sorry

oppps should have said its a 10 by 15 Pyrex baking dish but you could use a 9 by 13 an then a 8 by 8 if you didn't have that size

Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 PM

18,260 posts, read 20,551,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacenHarmony View Post
oppps should have said its a 10 by 15 Pyrex baking dish but you could use a 9 by 13 an then a 8 by 8 if you didn't have that size
Thank you I figured as much but wanted other posters to know they needed a bigger baking dish. We'll try this once cooler weather starts and I start using my oven more. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:55 PM

81 posts, read 204,090 times
I wish i discovered this section early......here is one..i will be back with many more: this is my quick fix meal for pasta cravings

My scrimp scampi with a pepper twist

Ingredients..

Dinner:

I forgot to add cheese in the end, i was too hungry

My makeshift recipe....

Half an onion - chopped
1 small green pepper - Chopped
Angel hair paster
Scrimp - i used cooked frozen shrimp coz I didnt go to the store. Used what i had
3 tablespoons of butter - i used olive oil spread...its just like butter but healthier
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of garlic
Salt
Red hot pepper flakes
fresh parsley or just plain old italian seasoning
1 White wine -- as dry as you can get it..i used cooking wine
Garlic bread

Have two burners on...its best to time them since shrimp cant be cooked more than 6 mins.. even if raw

Cook angel hair in one and heat another for the rest

Heat olive oil in the other pan
Add onions salt and red pepper...let it cook for about 2 mins
Add garlic and stir - cook for another 2 mins - add the dry spices and salt etc
Add green pepper...cook some more
Add the shrimp
Add the butter or whatever you are substituting and mix...when it starts to bubble add the wine and let is simmer for about 2 mins..it will reduce pretty fast so watch it.

In the meantime drain your pasta and be ready to add it

Mix and serve...your garlic bread should be ready in 6 mins too....i buy frozen most times..

enjoy!

You can add more butter if you want it to be really creamy...i have even added a tablespoon of cream in the past...it still tastes good.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 PM

10,887 posts, read 9,867,640 times
Wonderful recipe - and pictures too! Thanks! And sure hope to see you here often!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:24 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,457,235 times
I am back now! Just got off last Wednesday. I haven't had time to look through this whole thread for what I have already posted, reckon I need to take a day to do that and make a list of what I have already done so I don't repeat one. I also need to get my cookbook out to see what I made new (if anything) last trip. Had a new pilot ride with us and he was SO taken with my cooking.. OH, I know one I bet I haven't posted CREAM PUFFS! I use to make them every fathers day and got out of the habit for some reason but decided to do it again this year. That new pilot just looked at them and told me "I have been out here many years... NEVER had a fresh homemade jelly donut or a cream puff out here! When you retire, I want to hire you to come cook for me at HOME!" Hay, he lives on the Alabama Gulf Coast so under normal conditions, that would be a really cool job to have!

As for the oil spill we are far enough inland that the spill in the gulf don't effect us (YET!) where I live. It also has not effected traffic on the river YET. MY captain says the water is high and flowing out of the Mississippi River into the gulf and that keeps a path open for traffic coming and going from the river into the gulf and they have cleaning stations set up to clean the ocean going vessels as they come in of any oil they have on them. Certain times of the year, the water gets real low on the river and that is when our problems will begin.. The water from the gulf will flow into the Mississippi River and he sees that closing the river from the gulf and that is when it will start effecting our jobs. The day that all started, he made his predictions of what was going to happen and so far, he has been 100% right.

Now for my Cream Puff recipe... Some people call these Éclairs.

Cream Puffs
55 min | 15 min prep
12 cream puffs
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
4 eggs
1 package Jell-O pudding mix, prepared
Preheat oven to 400.
Heat water and butter to a rolling boil, stir in flour.
Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball (about 1 minute).
Remove from heat, mix in eggs all at one at a time and stir until smooth.
Drop 1/4 cup at a time on ungreased baking sheet, bake 35-40 minutes until golden.
Cool completely.
Cut off tops and pull out any soft dough from the inside.
Fill empty puffs with your favorite pudding (I like chocolate).
Replace tops and dust with powdered sugar.
Refrigerate until serving.

My daughter gave me this recipe to use for the filling and one guy recognized it on his first bite and it DOES kick them up a notch!

Easy Bavarian Cream

8 ounces Cream Cheese, room temp.
2-3 1/2 ounce instant pudding
3/4 cup of milk
12 ounces cool whip

Mix together cream cheese and dry pudding mix
slowly beat in the milk
fold in the cool whip

and I used my old zip lock bag trick with a bottom corner snipped off to put it to squirt into the puffs.

Top with chocolate icing or dust with powdered sugar and refrigerate until needed. Keep left overs (if you have any) refrigerated.

I have a picture of them I took but after doing updates on the computer, I can seem to get into my pictures to upload from Photobucket. Haven't been home long enough to check into what is happening with that..

Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 AM

4,582 posts, read 5,006,117 times
Hey Laura....glad to see you back. That recipe looks good and easy. Thanks.

This oil disaster is just getting worse. We now have oil in Lake Pontchatrain which is north of New Orleans. It's a nightmare that we won't be able to wake up from for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes