Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 10:03 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times

Advertisements

Jessie that is a shame...such beautiful area

Welcome back Laura you are always missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
Good to see you Laura! Keep 'em, coming!

Old 07-10-2010, 06:04 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Hi all

I am wondering how effected Laura is in the gulf there.

That chocolate caramel cake was amazing....I made it for a First Communion last month and it was funny people would take a bite and you could hear these sounds of ecstasy coming from them.

I got a recipe a while back from Monica and I cannot remember her screen name but the cake was calle Lemon Nector Cake and I amke it if I am going somewhere and it is quick easy and a huge hit everywhere.I sometimes substitute Mango juice or even papaya and it is so good:Monica's Devine Lemon Nectar Cake

1 Cup Apricot Nectar (usualy found in the spanish section in the grocery store)
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 box lemon supreme cake mix

Blend all ingrediants well, bake at 350 for 60 minutes. I usually make this in a bundt pan.

I hope whomever tries this enjoys it!!!
Monica

mix some confec. sugar with lemon juice and dribble on top.
My mom used to make this when I was young (many years ago!) I loved to drink the leftover apricot nectar. Haven't thought of it in years!! Thanks for posting

Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I was just revisiting all your wonderful recipes. I'll be using some when the grands roll in next month. Thanks for posting them.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:21 AM

285 posts, read 616,243 times
Hello to all on this thread and well met! In my misspent youth I worked the shrimp seasons in the Gulf of Mexico on a shrimp boat as cook to a crew of eight. Later, I went on to cooking professionally. Got there sideways (long story) but the following recipe was literally a "state secret" - it was that popular. Put our little Alaskan restaurant on the map, people would drive down from BC and the Yukon to get it. Eventually, even the cruise ships picked up on it thru the crew members. It was great fun to be the "author." When I ended up having to leave, I gave "permission" for them to keep the recipe but did not promise not to share it! Do not let the name fool you! This is not a custard style pie, it is actually a cream pie using buttermilk. The taste is velvet-y and rich, reminiscent of cheesecake.

Buttermilk Pie
1 baked 9 or 10 inch deep dish pie shell (this is important - deep dish! Do not use one of those little flat shallow pie pans/shells unless you have 2 of them!)

2 cups sugar
4 cups buttermilk
5 large eggs
6 Tbs corn starch
1 Tbs butter (margerine OK if you must)
2 Tsp lemon juice
Whipped cream for topping (Cool Whip will work too)

Put first 4 ingredients in large (6-8 qt) heavy pan but do not use aluminum-will discolor and taint flavor- use steel or all-clad. Non-stick coated OK. Place pan on stove on medium heat and slowly bring up to low boil, stirring often as heat & thickness increase. Remove pan from heat when filling is thickened and has reached that slow boil...it's kind of hard to explain exactly but the filling should be thick and creamy and the "boil" should make it look kind of like boiling lava
Add butter and lemon, stir thoroughly and pour into prepared pie shell. Cover filling with plastic wrap or wax paper and chill completely. About 6 hours. Remove cover and "frost" pie with whipped cream before serving.

If you want, you can make cream pies using this recipe by substituting whole milk for the buttermilk and omitting the lemon juice. Instead add vanilla and then...I've used it for coconut cream, banana, raspberry and chocolate. For chocolate cream just add 4 squares of your favorite baking chocolate to the cooking process-any will work-German choc, semi-sweet, milk or dark. Have fun.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:36 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
1 pie crust (easy delicious tomatoe pie)
3 large tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbs fresh basil, chopped
1 tbs good olive oil
salt and pepper
Place unbaked crust in pie dish. Layer the cheese over crust and sprinkle with basil. Place the tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until crust is golden.

And it is so easy and tastes so good . I hope whoever makes it , enjoys it .

Old 07-18-2010, 04:23 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
1 pie crust (easy delicious tomatoe pie)
3 large tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbs fresh basil, chopped
1 tbs good olive oil
salt and pepper
Place unbaked crust in pie dish. Layer the cheese over crust and sprinkle with basil. Place the tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until crust is golden.

And it is so easy and tastes so good . I hope whoever makes it , enjoys it .
That sounds soo good-unfortunately DH hates tomatoes-I love them! I'll definitely make this on our beach vacation when the kids come

Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
Gypsyrhydyr- I have a buttermilk pie recipe that is so close to that one except that you mix all the ingredients together and bake it. I usually make about 1 or 2 a trip.. I DO NOT tell the guys it is a buttermilk pie or they wouldn't eat it, I think one of the recipes I have for it is called a old fashioned chess pie.

phonelady61- that tomato pie sound good, I LOVE tomatoes, cooked or raw so I may give that one a try! (So what if I have to eat it by myself but I think I will have a lot of help with that one..)

With this being July and we will be working most of August in the heat, does anyone have any cold food ideas? Good foods that are served cold? I try now to have several salads, fruit and Veggie, bean salad, pasta salads, jello with fruit and even made a turkey salad for lunch one day. It is just to hot to eat a hot meal every meal and I like to offer them alternative cooler foods. They come in hot and sweaty or know they are going out there and getting hot and sweaty so they don't want a heavy hot meal in these hot months.. Anyone have anything that fits the bill on this?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times
Hi Laura

In hot weather we like cucumber salad, pasta salad, taco salad, and just cold cuts with lettuce tomato onion in wraps....or chicken quesadillas quick easy and tasty.

I don't know if they amke this anymore but we used to do early in the day Shake and Bake BBQ on chicken pieces cook it and serve cold later on.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 AM

285 posts, read 616,243 times
Cold or cool foods are so great in hot weather. One of my favs is that old picnic standby - cold fried chix! My Old Guy loves raw broccoli and I make a salad of broccoli florets, Thompson raisans, toasted sunflower seeds and thinly sliced and separated puple onions. Drizzle it with your favorite cole slaw dressing and you're good to go! Sounds od to some but I never have any left to take home from potlucks. I'm a fan of cold cucumber soups or gazpachos. Cuke & Mango soup is great....

3 mangoes, peeled & pitted - 2 rough chopped & 1 finely chopped
2 seedless cukes, 1 rough chopped & 1 finely chopped (can use seeded cukes but not as flavorful)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup lime juice
3-4 Tbs chopped cilantro
1 finely chopped serrano or jalapeno pepper
coarse sea or grey salt

Process rough chop mango & cucumber in food processor or blender with 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water till almost pureed/smooth. Pour into a bowl, add finely chopped onion, pepper and lime juice. Chill. At serving, sprinkle with cilantro and coarse sea salt or grey salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes