Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,557,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do you have a crock pot out there? If so, this is awesome and can feed a lot:

Take chicken (boneless) and put in a crock pot with two small cans of green chiles, one small can of jalapenos, juice of a lime, a shot or two of tequila, a can of chicken stock, and enough beer to cover the chicken. Let it cook for a few hours and then you can start to periodically mash or shred the chicken. Let it go for a few more hours until most of the liquid is absorbed and all of the chicken has pulled apart.

Serve with corn tortillas, refried beans, rice, lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, guacamole, cheese, etc.

These are to die for!
Sounds delish!! But I would be fired for that one.. No alcohol allowed out there PERIOD! But that does that sound SOOOOO GOOD!

Quote:
Are you able to access the internet when y'all are out?
We have internet yes, but is uses cell phone towers. It will not work when it is searching for towers, as in we are moving and we never stop except for tow work.. Usually we get a tow in Baton Rouge and don't stop until we are in Kentucky.. On the Lower Mississippi River, it is mostly out in the boonies where there are no cell towers.. However, even sitting still where the cell reception is good, it can take a hour to load a web page so I don't even try anymore.

Quote:
Don't know if you have salad on board or not,
Yes we do, we get groceries every 2 weeks and I can pass on our method to keep it fresh to all of you. To keep your produce fresher longer, take it out of the plastic it comes in, pull off any not so fresh looking leaves (lettuce) and wrap in a paper towel, put it in a zip lock bag wrapped in the paper towel, squeeze out the air and seal the bag.. I have kept lettuce in my fridge at home for TWO months like this as a trial and it worked so I do it at work! If you keep it very long, just check it now and then and pull off any decaying leaves, rewrap in a fresh paper towel and put back in the zip lock bag.

With cucumbers and other single items, wrap in the paper towel and just put in the fridge with no plastic.. Carrots, I just open the bag, kind of wrap the whole bunch in the paper towel and put a twist tie to reseal the bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,692,423 times
You might be able to use non alcoholic beer...

Old 02-28-2009, 10:26 PM

100 posts, read 305,482 times
wow- I just viewed your youtube and I am in awe at how clean the boat is. I live out in washington -alot of barges-tugs and never thought the inside of a boat (ship) could be that clean!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Job and have fun.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,371,583 times
Just saw your breakfast eggs/sausage in the Pillsbury Grands...can I say that I have a very similar recipe except the filling is a chicken/cream cheese mixture - we love it for dinner:

This serves 4

3oz softened cream cheese
2T melted butter
mix until smooth

add 2 C cooked, cubed chicken
1/4t salt
1/8t pepper
2T milk
1T onion

divide mixture into 4 sections and place into flattened rolls..Fold up and bake 20-25 min at 350

We had always used crescent roll dough but had to put 2 triangles together and fold up. Flattened grands sound much easier!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 PM

314 posts, read 1,179,099 times
A really great thread! Fabulous recipes and nice people. And LAURA...you lead an interesting life. How nice to be able to do what you really enjoy.

Will be looking forward to more posts from you when you return from your trip. Believe it's safe to say that everyone here will.

P.S.

I'm not being stingy by not posting any of my recipes...just smart.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,252,118 times
We all share recipes and consider it fun and a way to find great new dishes!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:03 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,713,907 times
I think it is a great idea to help people out and give great new ideas.

I am actually hosting a party tomorrow in my home for over 60 people and I am happy to say that a few of the things that I am serving are recipes from city data so Kat you are right it is fun and there are so many wonderful people willing to share.

I had an aunt that would not share her recipes and she died and boy we all sure miss her things. We just put together a family cookbook with 4 generations contributing and there were none of hers. So sad because we associate so many family gatherings with her.

When my mother in law died I took all her cookbooks and recipe boxes and just plain recipes with her handwriting and they are priceless.
When we have a day that we all miss her we get out the cookbooks, cook and have a "Gig" fest.

Last edited by crazyworld; 03-14-2009 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 10:07 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,557,298 times
Ok, I am back from the river and ready to share again! Got my pictures taken and uploaded and my cookbook out so here ya go!

Corndog Casserole... If you like state fair corndogs, you will LOVE this. Another forum I posted this on, someone tried it that night for supper, said her mother is a picky eater, don't like onions, celery or cornbread but loved this.. My personal opinion, this is better than corndogs and every crew I have made it for had went crazy over it...

CORNDOG CASSEROLE
Browned hot dog pieces mixed with celery, green onion, a corn bread batter and Cheddar
cheese for a taste of the county fair in a casserole!"
Ingredients:

2 cups thinly sliced celery
1 1/2 cups sliced green onions
1 cup whole kernal corn, drained
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 pounds hot dogs (beef and pork
frankfurters)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons ground sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 (8.5 ounce) packages dry corn bread mix
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
Directions:

1.In a medium skillet, saute celery and green onions in butter for 5 minutes. Place saute mixture in a large bowl; set aside.

2.Slice hot dogs lengthwise into quarters, then cut into thirds. In same skillet, saute hot dogs for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. I just slice mine like coins..

Add to celery/onion mixture and mix all together. Set aside 1 cup of mixture.

3. Add cornbread mix, egg, milk and 1/2 the cheese and mix it all together. Spread in a 3 quart baking dish sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle on the 1 cup you saved and the rest of the cheese.

4.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

(You will note my pan is larger than 3 quarts.. I make more than how the recipe is written. I am feeding 8 GIANTS!)

Next is a guranteed crowd pleaser and you will need to take many copies of this recipe everywhere you take this. (You will be asked for the recipe)

Mini Danish...

EASY CRESCENT DANISH ROLLS
Crescent rolls are the starting point for these homemade Danish rolls with a cream cheese filling.
Rolls:
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations™

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 3 teaspoons milk
Heat oven to 350°F Slice UNrolled crectent roll, 20 per can.

Make a indention with your thumb in the center of each.
If you like add any pie filling or preserves in the center.

Whip up the cream cheese filling..

Fill with cream cheese mixture

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until deep golden brown.

In small bowl, mix glaze ingredients, adding enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm rolls.

Note; I do not always add the glaze, when I do, I put it in a quart size zip lock bag, squeeze out the air and seal it shut, snip off a bottom corner and drizzel away over the mini Danish. *I do the same to put the cream cheese on them. Easy to work with and no clean up with a zip lock bag!

Next and last....

Fresh Strawberry Pie

Fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
A Baked pie shell
4 tablespoons dry Strawberry Jello
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water

1- Bake the pie shell
2- wash and sliced and put in the pie shell
3-Mix cornstarch and sugar in a sauce pan and cook on the stove until it is thick. Remover from heat and add in the jello, stirring until blended. Set aside and let cool or cool in a ice bath..
4-Pour over the strawberries and refrigerate until ready to eat. Top with cool whip or ice cream.

(Again, here let you imagination work.. I used fresh peaches and peach jello and that was just as good as the strawberry pie. Rasberries?)

Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,333,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Hey Laura,

Here's my New England version of American Chop Suey:

For 8 hearty appetites...

2 lbs. hamburger

Shake liberally with garlic powder, salt and pepper and fry til cooked through, then drain and put back in fry pan and add:

2 lg. green peppers chopped country style (sorta large)
fry til halfway cooked then add to mix:

2 lg. white onions chopped country style and fry all til onions are tender, then drain well....

While this is cooking, in a large pot, add 2 28oz. cans crushed tomatoes, and 2 28oz. cans whole tomatoes. Turn heat on low to simmer.

In 3rd large pot, cook 2lbs. medium sized sea shell noodles til el dente. Drain, rinse, drain again and add to tomatoes in second large pot.

When burger/gr. peppers/onion mix is cooked, add this to the pasta and tomato mix. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer on low for about a half hour, allowing flavors to meld. Stir often to avoid sticking to bottom of pan.

This is great with italian bread, butter, and grated parmesan for the pasta. Red pepper flakes on the table for all who like their italian dishes spicy! Don't know if you have salad on board or not, but it's great with a fresh salad and italian dressing... first few days out perhaps?

This tastes better if you can make it early in the day and reheat... even if you put it in a large roaster for an hour covered later in the day... the flavors have all blended...
That sounds like it could feed 14!! Lol!

It sounds exactly like my grandmothers American Chop Suey, but she adds the tomatos to the ground beef and lets that simmer together for a while, then adds the macaroni for the last half hour.

Oh, I realized I just mentioned her in the present tense, and she's been gone for 5 years now.

Thanks for sharing and making me think back about my grandmother and the things she used to make and do for me and the rest of my family.

P.S. thank you laura for the recipe for the ranch dressing I will have to try that mix. It is quite expensive to by the envelopes in the store!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:27 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,252,118 times
Laura - Thanks so much for the recipes! I have just printed all of them! Good to see you back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes