Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 PM

50,283 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

What do you have?

Here is a Jalepeno Cheese Venison sausage I find to die for.
    • 3 pounds lean ground venison
    • 1 lb beef tallow
    • 3 tablespoons curing salt
    • 2 teaspoons mustard seed
    • 1 clove garlic, peeled and split
    • 1 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 cup sharp shredded Cheddar cheese
    • 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
    • 1 cup water

• Stir the ingredients together then mix in the meat, tallow, Cheddar cheese and jalapeno peppers; mix until evenly blended in about 3 minutes. Run this into your casings and smoke with an offset smoker for 3 hours on low heat using mesquite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 02:38 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,674 times
I've got a great Creole Rabbit recipe but it's at home. If anyone is interested I can post it tonight. If you have to clean and cut the rabbit, the prep time is a good 2 hours but well worth it.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
I find venison and beef interchangeable as far as the ground or cubed variety- so I cook it the same way - just keeping in mind that the venison is a lot more lean so may need a little "fat" to keep it moist. However, mostly I cook both beef and venison the same.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I find venison and beef interchangeable as far as the ground or cubed variety- so I cook it the same way - just keeping in mind that the venison is a lot more lean so may need a little "fat" to keep it moist. However, mostly I cook both beef and venison the same.
Depending on what the deer have been eating, the fat can be really gamy tasting. I used to save the bbq sauce from cooking chicken and use that to flavor bambi steaks that I didn't want to bother trimming too well. Otherwise, yeah, venison and beef is pretty much interchangeable in recipes. I never did get around to trying venison paprikash, though. We generally cut the backstrap into wonderful little steaks, then boned all the rest and either made it into steaks or stew meat, never bothered grinding it into burger - but I also made quite a bit of jerky, as well. Never got much liver or heart, though, the guys who did the hunting didn't want to pack any more than they had to, they always said if I wanted that sh*t, I could come along and carry it myself.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:35 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Nothing better than venison backstrap! Is my personal favorite. I have never had venison taste gamey, luckily enough. What we do is take out the backstrap/tenderloins and then use all possible for cube steak, and then grind the rest. Have had some venison sausage, but have yet to find any that is good enough to rave about.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:46 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Quote:
Yes I agree Strogonoff, SOS, even meatballs but I do add some ground pork to help hold it together. Steaks are just pan cooked with lots of garlic...add in soy sauce. Hope to check in here for more...

Old 02-21-2009, 08:54 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Nothing better than venison backstrap! Is my personal favorite. I have never had venison taste gamey, luckily enough. What we do is take out the backstrap/tenderloins and then use all possible for cube steak, and then grind the rest. Have had some venison sausage, but have yet to find any that is good enough to rave about.
But you're in Georgia, all my bambi was Sitka blacktail in Alaska. Really tender, but the fat was something you had to develop a taste for, or trim it as much as possible. The absolute worst I ever had was in northeastern Oregon, the deer had been wintering on sagebrush. Very tough and rank, but edible if one was hungry enough - which we were. My all time favorite game meat was seal liver, but that's not legal anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes