U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,141,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Typical Irish-American meal is roast beef, mashed potatos and peas. Or roast beef, mashed potatos and green beans. Or roast beef, mashed potatos and carrots.

For a change try roast beef, roasted potatos and peas. Or ham, mashed potatos and peas. Or ham, mashed potatos and green beans.

If you want to get wild try roasted chicken, roasted potatos and peas.

Wow, this menu makes me think I am more in tune with my Irish roots than I thought, I cook like this all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,113,721 times
Colcannon

1/2 c. finely chopped onion, leek or green onion
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. milk
1 pound cooked mashed potatoes
1 1/2 c. cooked cabbage

Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute onion or leek until softened. Add the milk and the mashed potatoes, and stir until heated through. Mince the cooked cabbage finely and beat into the potato mixture over a low heat, until the result is pale green and fluffy.

This goes well with boiled ham.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Colcannon

1/2 c. finely chopped onion, leek or green onion
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. milk
1 pound cooked mashed potatoes
1 1/2 c. cooked cabbage

Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute onion or leek until softened. Add the milk and the mashed potatoes, and stir until heated through. Mince the cooked cabbage finely and beat into the potato mixture over a low heat, until the result is pale green and fluffy.

This goes well with boiled ham.

Thank you this sounds good.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 AM

11,012 posts, read 17,501,056 times
It sure does, MWB!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:00 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,781,239 times
Another easy one.... BANGERS AND MASH.... it is just Sausage and Mashed Potatoes! My kids eat it and love it! That is what we call the meal and they down it! I think the Boxty is a good idea and the soda bread.... another thing that would work that they eat there you can look up online is steak fries drenched in curry sauce... it is something I ate there often but I don't know what they called it... it was kind of like a munchie thing. They did a lot of curry stuff..... Just an idea

Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 AM

13,316 posts, read 21,878,456 times
How about Irish shortbread? We made it in our home ec class in jr. high school (which reminds me, what ever happened to home ec? My son didn't have it and he's already in HS):

http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.co...hortbread.html

CHEF DE CUISINE: RECIPE: IRISH SHORTBREAD

Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, this is going to be so fun. We did oceans in bottles today and they loved it.

As far as home-ec they still have it, it's just not called than anymore. I am sitting here looking at my freshmans class list for next year and it is called science and nutrition.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:30 PM

11,012 posts, read 17,501,056 times
Home Ec in San Diego schools was canceled sometime before 1989 when I started Jr. High.

I had a math class in one of those classrooms with the ovens and cooking work stations. I'd rather have taken home ec!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,224,617 times
Colcannon is delicious, but you may have more success with little kids eating it if you go for the soda bread. It's so yummy, and if you make a bunch you could freeze the extras.
And it sounds like your child's teacher needs a Guinness.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
Colcannon is delicious, but you may have more success with little kids eating it if you go for the soda bread. It's so yummy, and if you make a bunch you could freeze the extras.
And it sounds like your child's teacher needs a Guinness.
I offered believe me, I even told her we could put green food coloring in it and tell everyone it was kool-aid Or I offered St Brendans in some coffee, I might be able to weaken her as we get closer to spring break and the kids get more hyper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or